How-To: Swap SE tail lights for Titanium...

JScullin

I came across the wiring diagrams for both the Ti and SE tail lights. I don't have time to checkout the wiring differences. I'm just posting to get these on the forum. If some one has the time to figure it out, here they are.

Ti

SE

I deleted them due to proprietary info, for now.

Edited by Gkinla

I came across the wiring diagrams for both the Ti and SE tail lights. I don't have time to checkout the wiring differences. I'm just posting to get these on the forum. If some one has the time to figure it out, here they are.

Ti

SE

I deleted them due to proprietary info, for now.

S'ok. I could barely read them anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

post-50410-0-70768300-1375213113_thumb.jpg

I mapped out what I could. I swapped the one wire that gets the brake and turn that has a pin( Located in the right top in the pic)with the other one ( the left hand top one that has not connection to a pin ) that gets a turn/hazard signal ...only but then the brakes did not work. It achieves that look we want, where the center is not lit, save for the one corner led... but its not functional for braking. I am thinking the one middle blue may be the culprit (I can confirm this powers the led outer part and the center leds we are trying to turn off) taping off the connection caused loss of power to the outer led and the inner part.

. I dunno. I am Frustrated as all hell. I will work on it more fri. As I gotta go to work. I took pics but the mobile version isnt allowing me to post them. This makes more sense with the pic I took.

I am on my laptop and it will not let me add the damn pic using the link from photobucket. I get a broken image icon. SO I have attached the pic as a file. I am hoping others can chime in and see what we can do.

Also Yeah I know my grass is dead.. LOL

Edited by acts
  • Like 1

[img=http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/public/style_images/zuzuskin/attachicon.gif] http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach§ion=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=13399]Sketch302113046.jpg[/url]

I mapped out what I could. I swapped the one wire that gets the brake and turn that has a pin( Located in the right top in the pic)with the other one ( the left hand top one that has not connection to a pin ) that gets a turn/hazard signal ...only but then the brakes did not work. It achieves that look we want, where the center is not lit, save for the one corner led... but its not functional for braking. I am thinking the one middle blue may be the culprit (I can confirm this powers the led outer part and the center leds we are trying to turn off) taping off the connection caused loss of power to the outer led and the inner part.

. I dunno. I am Frustrated as all hell. I will work on it more fri. As I gotta go to work. I took pics but the mobile version isnt allowing me to post them. This makes more sense with the pic I took.

I am on my laptop and it will not let me add the damn pic using the link from photobucket. I get a broken image icon. SO I have attached the pic as a file. I am hoping others can chime in and see what we can do.

Thanks for checking this wiring out, I know you'll get it.

I use my iPad for most of my posting on these forums, when I need to add a photo from Photobucket I do this, because I can't get the editing icons on my iPad. Space down at least three times. Select and copy the direct link from Photobucket.

Use the bracket symbol, don't type the words. Type(open bracket) img (close bracket) paste the Photobucket direct link here and then close with (open bracket) /img (close bracket) no space between anything. I even tried this on my desktop and it worked. I hope this helps. Use the bracket symbol, don't type the words

Sample image the way I described above. Sent on my iPad.

image-9-8.jpg

Edited by Gkinla

I have a hunch that ford may be finally using a type of CECM (Central Electronics Control Module) setup like VAG cars (VW/Audi) and there maybe a way to change the coding in that module.

When I had my 2006 VW GTI I was able to use a Ross Tech obd II cordand laptop and software called VAG-COM to access the CECM and change the coding for my tail lights that were LED (came with halogen from the factory) to light up in different ways.

That being said I had previously researched this for my fusion and the only seemingly possible avenue I came up with was something called Ford Module Programming but to my knowledge is only dealer attainable. I may be wrong on all this but being that this is 2013 and we now have a euro designed fusion it only makes sense to me.

I have a hunch that ford may be finally using a type of CECM (Central Electronics Control Module) setup like VAG cars (VW/Audi) and there maybe a way to change the coding in that module.

When I had my 2006 VW GTI I was able to use a Ross Tech obd II cordand laptop and software called VAG-COM to access the CECM and change the coding for my tail lights that were LED (came with halogen from the factory) to light up in different ways.

That being said I had previously researched this for my fusion and the only seemingly possible avenue I came up with was something called Ford Module Programming but to my knowledge is only dealer attainable. I may be wrong on all this but being that this is 2013 and we now have a euro designed fusion it only makes sense to me.

Its funny you say this as I was telling my wife that I thought it may very well be a software problem. Thank you for the insight. It makes me feel like I'm not crazy.

Its not really all that far fetched as it makes diagnostics easier for many manufacturers. Its like telling a control module to send the signals over let's say, four wires in a different manner than the last. Its actually pretty smart. Why mess about swapping wires when you can tell a module to use the wires differently.

Another example is, again, on my GTI I could go in and tell the module to either turn off DRL or turn them on or tell the module to use the fog lights as DRL or the parking lights as DRL or change the brightness of the DRL and other lights, or tell the module to use the outer ring of the tail lights as parking lights or the inside ring as parking and the outer as brakes. Or vice versa. It was all very advanced and convenient. Turning on or off window control from the key fob. This was all controllable.

Edited by ticholas

• 4 months later...

There are lots of Fusion tail lights available online from cars that have been wrecked. However, I need a way to confirm that the tail lights really are Titanium tail lights. Every single posting on eBay indicates that the tail lights fit both the SE and the Titanium. Can you see the difference visually when looking at the lens when not illuminated?

Most eBay sellers have not bothered to list the part # of the lens they're selling. It would be easier to look at pics and verify than sending each one a message to ask.

Edited by hybridbear

• 2 months later...

attachicon.gifSketch302113046.jpg

Can you provide the same picture of the tail light harness plug?

I'm almost certain this is something that has to be programmed with Fords IDS system.

I was reading instructions on how to install a factory remote starter and the way it explains it seems to imply that you can set parameters for what the car came installed with. So if you hooked up a MFT system to a non-MFT car, you'd have to authenticate it with the cars computer via IDS.

My wife has a 2013 Fusion SE and my 2014 Fusion Titanium should be here on Friday. So what is the difference in the tail lights?

When the headlights are on, the Ti tails will look like this.

12942473445_74b9c2d2ec_z.jpg

Whereas on the SE, the inner portion (where the brake lights and turn signals come on) will be lit up with the headlights.

Edited by cjh