No ethanol?

sdotlow

I'm assuming she means not to use E85. Unfortunately there are very few stations that have ethanol free gas. Check out www.puregas.com. They have a large database of "pure gas" stations and what octane grades are ethanol free. Otherwise most stations have 0-15% ethanol mixed in. Good luck. Oh and www.puregas.com has an iOS app. Just search puregas.

Yeah I saw that site, nothing remotely close. I don't know what she's talking about or how they filled my car as there's nothing within 200 miles of their dealership that has it.

I can't believe I would need to not have ethanol. That would be next to impossible to do.

Guest RRF985
Another dealer that does not know what they are talking about.

Never ever ever trust a salesman.

Pretty sure 93 rating has 0 ethanol in it.

But then you have to pay more for gas.

Pretty sure 93 rating has 0 ethanol in it.

But then you have to pay more for gas.

Not true. All gas has ethanol unless specifically stated. You also get a more efficient engine with the 93.

I think what RRF985 is trying to say is that due to the higher octane it burns more efficiently thus leading to less carbon buildup in your motor leading to more happy 240 turbocharged horses...

Nope. The ecoboost engines are tuned to advance the timing to take advantage of premium fuel thus producing more power. Higher octane fuel doesn't burn more efficiently. It just allows more timing to be added.

Guest RRF985

Nope. The ecoboost engines are tuned to advance the timing to take advantage of premium fuel thus producing more power. Higher octane fuel doesn't burn more efficiently. It just allows more timing to be added.

Yes. Poor wording on my part.

Regardless of the wisdom of using ethanol or where it comes from, the problem with the OP has already been stated: "sales woman." People who sell cars seldom know anything about them, although they won't admit it. They should be renamed "order takers." I conduct myself accordingly and make sure I'm well versed in the car before test driving. When we visited a local Ford dealer and drove the FFH, it was actually somewhat refreshing to have the salesperson bluntly admit that they knew nothing about the hybrids, and could only promise to find out answers to our questions.

Plus Ethanol is an easy way to boost octane. Corn is not a cost effective renewable resource in the US and this idiocy about putting it and requiring it in our fuel doesnt do anything other than raise the price of food.

You (we all) could move to Florida - they just repealed their ethanol mandate. Apparently the corn lobby is weak there.

And you learned a lesson - false or misleading information = dealership, factual information = fan site (like here).

Edited by Bailey151

Ethanol is a scam foisted onto us by the corn lobby....today's modern vehicles do not need to have any additional "oxidizers" to make them burn more cleanly. And to top it off, E10 will cut your mileage overall so you have to return to the pumps more often.....call it a veiled backdoor tax increase....

Ethanol is a scam foisted onto us by the corn lobby....today's modern vehicles do not need to have any additional "oxidizers" to make them burn more cleanly. And to top it off, E10 will cut your mileage overall so you have to return to the pumps more often.....call it a veiled backdoor tax increase....

Oh, I know that. I had a boosted MR2 where I had the tune set for E85 (switchable back to normal 91 octane) and had the necessary parts replaced. Its great when mileage isn't a concern. And lets face it I didn't care with my MR2. :-) It was a flog and play car.

There is something most people don't understand; There is LESS energy in E-xx than pure fuel (and the EPA doesn't do their testing on E-xx, only pure gas which is another complaint). The more ethanol, the more crap-tastic your mileage all other parameters being the same. That and the fact that most systems will not handle E-15 without degradation of certain plastic parts is infuriating. Who is going to foot that bill? Manufacturers are already screaming about potential warranty claims to something that was not a design consideration. EPA needs to get bent in this situation.

Not sure I follow?

:hysterical: What I meant was that one often gets erroneous information at the dealership. A far better source for information are fan sites like this one, you can get more & more accurate information.

There is something most people don't understand; There is LESS energy in E-xx than pure fuel (and the EPA doesn't do their testing on E-xx, only pure gas which is another complaint). The more ethanol, the more crap-tastic your mileage all other parameters being the same. That and the fact that most systems will not handle E-15 without degradation of certain plastic parts is infuriating. Who is going to foot that bill? Manufacturers are already screaming about potential warranty claims to something that was not a design consideration. EPA needs to get bent in this situation.

There are a great many area in which the EPA & the gubmint need to get bent.....................just one other - who was the dumb ass who thought following the Cretin Air Resource Bureau was a good idea?

Yep, ethanol @ the pump but not in the test................hmmmm...........why don't I get the numbers on the window sticker? :doh:

And also, how is it cheaper? If I have to fuel up more times to get to the same distance because of more corn; how is that cheaper for me? That's false marketing and any reference to being less cost be removed.

Around me E85 isn't that much cheaper. Only about 35 cents cheaper. I bet long term its more expensive to run.

Never ever ever trust a salesman. Not true. All gas has ethanol unless specifically stated. You also get a more efficient engine with the 93.

Agreed there...the salesman raves about how reliable the car is and then the finance guy raves about expensive the car will be to fix if it breaks ;)

Here's a little fuel to the fire. This was a 2007 study done on both E85 and non-85 cars. What they found was puzzling. On "some" non-e85 cars, there was a boost in mileage running E30. They even state in the report that it goes against convention wisdom since there are less BTU's in E30 vs E0.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pro-ethanol lobbyist. I avoid it in my vehicles where possible. But blanket statements about ethanol aren't true for all vehicles.

http://www.ethanol.org/pdf/contentmgmt/ACE_Optimal_Ethanol_Blend_Level_Study_final_12507.pdf

I found back in 2008 in my F150, E85 has to sell for $0.65-$0.70 cheaper than normal 87 octane fuel for the dip in mpgs to offset the cost difference between the two. Found running E85 on the highway produced a larger decrease in mpgs than when using E85 in day to day city traffic.