Your Opinion Of Zimerman Now?

Skin color matters little to someone that is being assaulted.

NBC is largely responsible for running with it in a racial direction and enhancing the facts to support it (doctored & edited 911 tape for an example).

Some people still want to believe it was entirely about race while none of the facts support any of the suggestion.

Had Martin been white and decided to attack Zman the results would have likely been the same ( shot ) except Zman would not have been charged or a major news story.

Langston, Obama made a great speech. He did a great job of presenting the perspective of some black people as they view what happened in Florida. The sad part is that it also revealed that Obama sees skin color as being sort of a compensating factor: black males deserve some additional consideration that would not apply to members of other races. He believes that it was skin color and not behavior that was the deciding factor from the beginning all the way through the acquittal. In court, it is behavior that gets judged, not skin color, not historical perspective, not emotional baggage. Had anyone else behaved exactly as Trayvon did, the results would have been the same. It's the old adage: the only way to never lose a bar fight is to stay out of the bars.

I don't know if i agree with you that he sees skin color as that. Perhaps your right. Most likely the truth lies somewhere between, but i know that right now i doubt anyone can see that spot in the middle between the sides.

This quote from his speech is pretty clear: "And that all contributes, I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different." in other words, Trayvon died because he was black, not because of his actions.

And Obama is entitled to his opinion, as we all are.

It is a tragedy when a life is taken. If we take the gun out of Zimmerman's hands, what would have happened? Trayvon told Zimmerman that he was "going to die tonight". It is possible that it would have been Trayvon facing charges, and most likely he would have also argued self defense. What then?

This quote from his speech is pretty clear: "And that all contributes, I think, to a sense that if a white male teen was involved in the same kind of scenario, that, from top to bottom, both the outcome and the aftermath might have been different." in other words, Trayvon died because he was black, not because of his actions.

And Obama is entitled to his opinion, as we all are.

It is a tragedy when a life is taken. If we take the gun out of Zimmerman's hands, what would have happened? Trayvon told Zimmerman that he was "going to die tonight". It is possible that it would have been Trayvon facing charges, and most likely he would have also argued self defense. What then?

Trayvon did not say that.

George Zimmerman says that Trayvon said that. I'm sorry but I take what Zimmerman says with a whole box of salt, because first it's his perception of something that happened pretty quickly and second he's someone who just shot someone. People who do that tend to over-reinforce their side of the story. You know embellish it a bit.

There seems to be something....insidious, when the public outcry is against Zimmerman after a jury deemed the prosecution failed to present it's case "beyond a reasonable doubt."

When the predominate view should be "innocent until proven guilty".

And so many are ready to ASSUME he was guilty because they cannot fathom a 17 year old boy (6 foot plus?) with a history (blocked from the courtroom) of school suspensions for possession of stolen jewlery and pot. They find it easier to ignore the facebook photos of handguns and other past behavior but are willing to condemn Zimmerman with similar past behavior reports.

They argue the boy died because Zimmerman shouldn't have gotten out of his truck. Martin would not have been in Sanford if he had not been suspended from school. It cuts both ways.

So, overall, I am convinced a man that had a reasonable right to defend himself, and did so, and all while in contact with the police, is VERY unlikely to have had murderous intent. Only an idiot would expect to be able to spin the facts in the face of the scrutiny of a murder investigation to escape prosecution. Those who think Zimmerman is THAT intelligent and unscrupulous are at risk of sending $300.00 to that email address promising to send $1,000,000 in return for helping transfer tens of millions out of the country. Or buying lottery tickets.

There seems to be something....insidious, when the public outcry is against Zimmerman after a jury deemed the prosecution failed to present it's case "beyond a reasonable doubt."

When the predominate view should be "innocent until proven guilty".

And so many are ready to ASSUME he was guilty because they cannot fathom a 17 year old boy (6 foot plus?) with a history (blocked from the courtroom) of school suspensions for possession of stolen jewlery and pot. They find it easier to ignore the facebook photos of handguns and other past behavior but are willing to condemn Zimmerman with similar past behavior reports.

They argue the boy died because Zimmerman shouldn't have gotten out of his truck. Martin would not have been in Sanford if he had not been suspended from school. It cuts both ways.

So, overall, I am convinced a man that had a reasonable right to defend himself, and did so, and all while in contact with the police, is VERY unlikely to have had murderous intent. Only an idiot would expect to be able to spin the facts in the face of the scrutiny of a murder investigation to escape prosecution. Those who think Zimmerman is THAT intelligent and unscrupulous are at risk of sending $300.00 to that email address promising to send $1,000,000 in return for helping transfer tens of millions out of the country. Or buying lottery tickets.

Did i mention that the conservatives in my crib at work have a lottery pool?

Besides what you find insidious is just the court of public opinion. That's how that works. there are court of public opinion verdicts that go both ways.

Beside what you fail to understand is that much of the minority and women population is pissed right now. Remember the shit that was said about why African Americans and women voted for Obama, the sexist remarks about birth control and that stuff. the counter protests and labeling of African Americans as race pimps so soon after the election labeling of people who just want free stuff and that they are racist for voting for a African American is pretty divisive and turned the gas up to high on the stove

What I find funny is that 9 months after the election you still can't see it. Conservatives have gone after minorities and the first minority president so hard and then wonder why they are pissed and showed up in force.

Did i mention that the conservatives in my crib at work have a lottery pool? (A tax on the stupid. Ever hear of Bill Gates or Allan Mulally playing the lottery? The know it's a losers game and can make more money with far less risk of loss.)

Besides what you find insidious is just the court of public opinion. (That's why democracy was an epithet. Mob mentality. Lynch mobs are little different, especially when they are threatening the life of an exonerated man, witnesses in the case and the general population. Just outlaws looking to throw a tantrum because they are convinced by t.v. commentators, politicians and the inflammatory press who have their own agenda in pumping up the public outcry.) That's how that works. there are court of public opinion verdicts that go both ways. (Some people cannot think higher than animal instinct and are easily led. Remember, we must post warnings on electric hair dryers to avoid using them in the shower. the "public" is stupid!)

Beside what you fail to understand is that much of the minority and women population is pissed right now.

( I get pissed, as well. But I am not calling for the DOJ to go after a man simply because the jury didn't accept the prosecutions case? Do you accept that low level logic? Do you excuse those who may one day murder Zimmerman because they heard such public calls to execute him?)

Remember the shit that was said about why African Americans and women voted for Obama, the sexist remarks about birth control and that stuff. the counter protests and labeling of African Americans as race pimps so soon after the election labeling of people who just want free stuff and that they are racist for voting for a African American is pretty divisive and turned the gas up to high on the stove

(If the shoe fits. Are you suggesting it is not true to any measurable level?)

What I find funny is that 9 months after the election you still can't see it. Conservatives have gone after minorities and the first minority president so hard and then wonder why they are pissed and showed up in force.

(The minority aspect is important only to you. I object to his motivations and behavior. He can't help who his parents were. But if you consider him a grown man, then you must judge him on his actions as much as his words.)

Guest General Mattis

I'm firmly convinced that the NSA could come out and play the audio recording of the phone call (since the White House has ordered the recording of all phone conversations), and on the call Trayvon could tell Precious that he is going to steal her some jewlery, then tells her he thinks he's been spotted, then informs her he is going to bust the guy up like he did the bus driver, and Langston will still defend Martin. The NSA coul go even further and show video of the incident showing it went down exactly how Zimmerman said, and angston would still call him a liar.

In other words, you can't fix stupid.

I can just imagine how pissed ABC was to post this story. I never saw it on MSNBC (it could be there now, I won't give them another hit)

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmerman-emerged-hiding-rescue-family-trapped-suv/story?id=19735432

I'm firmly convinced that the NSA could come out and play the audio recording of the phone call (since the White House has ordered the recording of all phone conversations),

Just because they have the ability to record any phone call in no way means they have the ability to record every phone call . The storage space that would be required to maintain a database of every phone call made in the U.S. would be astronomical.

Just because they have the ability to record any phone call in no way means they have the ability to record every phone call . The storage space that would be required to maintain a database of every phone call made in the U.S. would be astronomical.

Have you seen the SIZE of the NSA building?? It is the US govt after all...lol

Plus storage gets more efficient every day... (my own personal observations - and my job)

You are naieve. You don't need the content of the call. The metadata, date, time, location, number called, duration, frequency of call, etc... can build a solid record of almost any needed activity.

I really am not paranoid, but it seems the paranoid weren't quite so paranoid.

And with trillions of dollars why could it not be possible? The government loses track of billions daily.

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

Have you seen the SIZE of the NSA building?? It is the US govt after all...lol

Plus storage gets more efficient every day... (my own personal observations - and my job)

I drive past it regularly. It's really not that large. And still, you're talking about many, many exabytes of data at the minimum (remember that audio uses considerably more storage than text such as phone records).

Then you need to actually be able to process it to make it actually worth anything. The database that would be required to actually make sense of a storage system of that size would be incredibly inefficient to query, even using super computer processing speeds.

You are naieve. You don't need the content of the call. The metadata, date, time, location, number called, duration, frequency of call, etc... can build a solid record of almost any needed activity.

I really am not paranoid, but it seems the paranoid weren't quite so paranoid.

And with trillions of dollars why could it not be possible? The government loses track of billions daily.

Umm. That's an entirely different scenario. He was referring precisely to voice conversations. I have no doubt that the data you are referring to can easily be saved and quite possibly is. The amount of space required to store it is magnitudes smaller.

Edited by NickF1011

I'm firmly convinced that the NSA could come out and play the audio recording of the phone call (since the White House has ordered the recording of all phone conversations), and on the call Trayvon could tell Precious that he is going to steal her some jewlery, then tells her he thinks he's been spotted, then informs her he is going to bust the guy up like he did the bus driver, and

Referring to Rachel Jeantel as "Precious" isn't helping you to make a point. We can all judge Ms. Jeantel's testimony and demeanor for ourselves.

The main character in that movie overcame great odds to make a better life for herself and her children. The picture the movie presented of the welfare system, and those who abuse it, was conservative in some ways (although the one milking the system was not Precious, but her mother, who was straight from a Rush Limbaugh nightmare about welfare abuse).

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 1

I drive past it regularly. It's really not that large. And still, you're talking about many, many exabytes of data at the minimum (remember that audio uses considerably more storage than text such as phone records).

Then you need to actually be able to process it to make it actually worth anything. The database that would be required to actually make sense of a storage system of that size would be incredibly inefficient to query, even using super computer processing speeds.

A breakthrough occurred in December 1942 when Fermi led a group of physicists to produce the first controlled nuclear chain reaction under the grandstands of Stagg Field at the University of Chicago.

Data storage is getting cheaper and cheaper on the retail market. A terabyte can be bought for less than $50 retail. Can you not extrapolate the governments ability to purchase leading edge tech, or high level compression and proprietary operating systems to maintain the data and access it on demand?

A breakthrough occurred in December 1942 when Fermi led a group of physicists to produce the first controlled nuclear chain reaction under the grandstands of Stagg Field at the University of Chicago.

:headscratch:

Data storage is getting cheaper and cheaper on the retail market. A terabyte can be bought for less than $50 retail. Can you not extrapolate the governments ability to purchase leading edge tech, or high level compression and proprietary operating systems to maintain the data and access it on demand?

As one who has worked in the tech industry for over a decade, yeah, I kinda can. It's not only about money. Could they physically store every voice call made? Possibly, at prohibitively high costs, but yeah, possibly. Unlikely, but it's physically possible. Now, the important part: would they be able to make any practical use of it? Probably not. The sheer volume of data would make it virtually impossible to extract any useful data in a timely manner. Even if you could process it via computer, you'd still need ridiculous hours of actual manpower to analyze any data that is extracted via computer processor. Even if physically possible (questionable), it simply would not be at all practical.

:headscratch:

As one who has worked in the tech industry for over a decade, yeah, I kinda can. It's not only about money. Could they physically store every voice call made? Possibly, at prohibitively high costs, but yeah, possibly. Unlikely, but it's physically possible. Now, the important part: would they be able to make any practical use of it? Probably not. The sheer volume of data would make it virtually impossible to extract any useful data in a timely manner. Even if you could process it via computer, you'd still need ridiculous hours of actual manpower to analyze any data that is extracted via computer processor. Even if physically possible (questionable), it simply would not be at all practical.

Nice rose-colored glasses.

You mean skeptical ones. And again, let me clarify: I'm talking about indefinite retention of all voice data, not phone records.

No need to clarify. You are naive to think the federal government cannot use black programs to collect, maintain and operate a covert phone call collection system. We only hear about what they have been doing after they have been doing it.

SR-71, U-2, F-117A, B-2,.......

Billion dollar programs unknown for years and never contemplated by the overt ops world.

MP3 compression is easily capable of high compression when phone calls have narrow frequency bandwidth and sampling rate demands. Much less what secret algorithms are being used today. MP3 is old school.