Sync summer update Gen2 v3.6

47Minutes

For me this can't come soon enough. Sync is sooooo frustrating for me. I have an Iphone 4S and it generally takes at least 5-10 minutes for Sync to fully recognize the phone. Then invairiably it will lock up and go through a re-boot about once or twice a week. I simply cannot believe that Ford would release a pile of steaming fec#$ that is the current version of Sync. One of the big attractions for me in purchasing this car was the tech but I find myself half of the time getting so frustrated with either the system locking up or simply rebooting that I don't bother trying to play songs off of my phone. I also have a problem with the nav in that it will take a good 5 minutes after start before it will start to navigate. On more than a few occasions after using the navigation it will be fine and then about a half hour into a trip it resets. I understand that a class action suit has been started for disssatisfied Sync users and I am very tempted to join in. It simply is incredible that Ford would release a product that works less than half the time with one of the most popular cell phones around.

How American.............................wah, wah, wah, my ba-gina hurts = let's sue somebody.

First question - how many people have this issue? You make it sound like it's 100% - I don't believe it. I've had a grand total of 1 re-boot since I took delivery. I have zero issues with navigation. I've never had it take 5 minutes to calculate a route, maybe 30 seconds or so.

Here's a thought - you know it's an issue with Sync how exactly? It could very well be the iPhone doesn't play well with others or in this case sync. It's all software & until someone does a full QA test with the devices it's real hard to point fingers..............................especially with Apple a company that's a tad zealous at keeping things proprietary. Pretty much everything they make doesn't really play well with others. Until a full test is done we don't know. My phone won't send text messages over BT, can read but not send.....ain't Sync's fault. EVERYBODY has a hard time making things work with Apple products.................that's because Apple only wants to work with Apple. This is what killed them the 1st time & it's what will kill them this time.

I've not had those issues with the Nav, works "okay"................but then I'm aware that car nav units are close to the bottom of the pile, well except Apple Maps = I don't expect much from them. Certainly never had the issues you describe.

Seems to be defective unit, should be replaced under warranty.

Now I'll not say it's perfect but it does work fine - chief complaint is apps & the interface could be better................but..........I've not had any issues with functionality like music, that works fine as does the navigation.

Edited by Bailey151

While I have had other issues with the vehicle, I have not had problems with the Sync/MFT/Nav system.

And my MFT isn't a laptop or a smart phone and in my opinion if you are driving your car you shouldn't need a "ton of apps". If you want that then you should go buy that new GM Sonic; it has the iOS on it so that should make everyone happy.

There are bad APIMs out there, even on the new models that can lead to problems. I have an iphone5 and have never had any of the problems described. My phone connects immediately and even reads text messages. I suggest trying a different phone just to see if that's the problem. Is the 4s on the latest IOS?

There are bad APIMs out there, even on the new models that can lead to problems. I have an iphone5 and have never had any of the problems described. My phone connects immediately and even reads text messages. I suggest trying a different phone just to see if that's the problem. Is the 4s on the latest IOS?

For what it's worth, I also have a 4S, and I rarely have issues (I won't say never - but they are extremely few and far between). Mine is up to date on the latest iOS (6.1.3).

Like Bailey, Bearcats and kirby I don't have any of the issues you're mentioning. I can understand the hate on the system if the problems were happening to everyone, but the vast majority of MFT users I've talked to lately aren't having trouble. For whatever reason, though, they still take the stance of "it sucks, I hate it, blah blah blah" - it's almost like hating on MFT is a cool thing these days, even though the system has come a long way. People need to get their heads out of their asses and get informed (not directed at you lgbeach, I'm complaining about our society in general. Sounds like you might have defective hardware, which would be covered under warranty).

Back to the topic at hand, I haven't seen any updates available for me yet (on v3.5.1 right now). Interestingly, when I go to syncmyride, I'm unable to select my Fusion - a different vehicle I have listed shows up first, and when I goto switch to my Fusion it just never switches...

Edited by bluspikez

For me this can't come soon enough. Sync is sooooo frustrating for me. I have an Iphone 4S and it generally takes at least 5-10 minutes for Sync to fully recognize the phone. Then invairiably it will lock up and go through a re-boot about once or twice a week. I simply cannot believe that Ford would release a pile of steaming fec#$ that is the current version of Sync. One of the big attractions for me in purchasing this car was the tech but I find myself half of the time getting so frustrated with either the system locking up or simply rebooting that I don't bother trying to play songs off of my phone. I also have a problem with the nav in that it will take a good 5 minutes after start before it will start to navigate. On more than a few occasions after using the navigation it will be fine and then about a half hour into a trip it resets. I understand that a class action suit has been started for disssatisfied Sync users and I am very tempted to join in. It simply is incredible that Ford would release a product that works less than half the time with one of the most popular cell phones around.

I have a major issue with class action lawsuits in general so I would never join in on that alone (they only benefit lawyers).

I have had some issues with MFT but I'm also in the camp of it's only crashed once since I got the car and besides some BT issues and sluggishness I can't complain. Sure I wish it was faster and that my phone never had syncing issues (or BT audio skipping) but it can't be perfect. The biggest thing I'd like fixed is the sluggishness, but that isn't going to get fixed by throwing a CAL at them.

This month with 3.5.1 I went a whole 300 mile trip without voice commands had to master reset to get them to come back. Then on the trip home it rebooted itself glad it wasn't when i was needing to know where to turn. When it works it is nice but don't call BS on other peoples problems just because they don't happen to you.

This month with 3.5.1 I went a whole 300 mile trip without voice commands had to master reset to get them to come back. Then on the trip home it rebooted itself glad it wasn't when i was needing to know where to turn. When it works it is nice but don't call BS on other peoples problems just because they don't happen to you.

Nobody is calling BS on other people's problems. We're just saying that not everybody has the same problems and the bad problems seem to be isolated to a few folks and that's certainly not a reason for CAL.

Nobody is calling BS on other people's problems. We're just saying that not everybody has the same problems and the bad problems seem to be isolated to a few folks and that's certainly not a reason for CAL.

I agree no reason for a CAL but some have definitely had issues, such as my voice commands disappearing three times - I resolved it once with master reset and twice with that delayed reboot utility, but they shouldn't happen in the first place, and someone saying that it's far less buggy than prior versions don't really help. And I still don't know why the map orientation on my nav tends to change on its own at will, another thing that sure hasn't caused me to lose any sleep but which still should not happen.

I won't say that I hate MFT, but still prefer the Sync (v3.1 I guess it was?) in my 2010 that had zero issues in 4 years.

I also have an iPhone 5...how are you able to get sync to read your text messages?

Also, I have none of the bad experiences previously mentioned about sync. It rebooted once while I was driving down the road after the car was a week old. It could be a little faster but overall I'm happy.

Edited by deadman64

I also have an iPhone 5...how are you able to get sync to read your text messages?

Also, I have none of the bad experiences previously mentioned about sync. It rebooted once while I was driving down the road after the car was a week old. It could be a little faster but overall I'm happy.

Make sure you have the latest iOS. Go to the sync bluetooth connection on the phone and see if you have a notifications option - if so turn it on. If not you may have to delete and re-pair the phone to get the option. You also need at least 3.5.1 MFT.

No worries.............Apple is back on the bullet train to the oblivion from whence they came, one would think they learned a lesson about being proprietary nazis but I guess not.

Bummer for them is the odds are low they'll be able to grab another bailout at a cocktail party. :hysterical:

Satire. Oh, that made me laugh. I think this year is the 30th anniversary of somebody predicting the fall of Apple. I mean, seriously? Every year. Oh and thank you for bringing 1940's Germany into the conversation as you are forced to buy and use one on threat of arrest... What bailout, huh? I love MSFT as it keeps me employed. My mother? I got her a Mac.

Jokes aside, people seem so fearce about hating Apple, it's weird. You don't like it, don't buy them, but if you have one, by all means complain to Apple about issues. They are just like Microsoft and Blackberry in their ecosystem's protection. Does Ford let you overwrite MFT or add-on without their say so within warranty? How is that any different than Apple? I'm confused. We are getting off topic.

Sync 3.6... you think the PHEVs will be the last to get it?

The only times when I've had phone issues in the car is when I forget to turn on BT when I get in the car. For the extra danger, I use BOTH USB & BT conenctions.

Make sure you have the latest iOS. Go to the sync bluetooth connection on the phone and see if you have a notifications option - if so turn it on. If not you may have to delete and re-pair the phone to get the option. You also need at least 3.5.1 MFT.

I'm up to date on both...I'll check it out this evening. Thanks

EDIT: Works like a charm, thanks!

Edited by deadman64

Satire. Oh, that made me laugh. I think this year is the 30th anniversary of somebody predicting the fall of Apple. I mean, seriously? Every year. Oh and thank you for bringing 1940's Germany into the conversation as you are forced to buy and use one on threat of arrest... What bailout, huh? I love MSFT as it keeps me employed. My mother? I got her a Mac.

Jokes aside, people seem so fearce about hating Apple, it's weird. You don't like it, don't buy them, but if you have one, by all means complain to Apple about issues. They are just like Microsoft and Blackberry in their ecosystem's protection. Does Ford let you overwrite MFT or add-on without their say so within warranty? How is that any different than Apple? I'm confused. We are getting off topic.

Um.......ah.............newsflash for ya - it ain't been 30 years since Jobs was begging change @ a cocktail party...............or are you unaware that Apple was gone until Bill Gates wrote Jobs a check to keep the company afloat?

I've been around this long enough to know who did what & when, long enough to know who was an innovator & who was just a gas bag = I ain't a fan of anything, just a realist. Apple sucks due their over zealous demand for everything proprietary. This is what took them from dominating the PC market to under 5% market share..............and they appear to be on the same track again. On the other hand the best one can say for Microsoft is they are willing to keep banging away until the produce a good product..............why they just don't do that the 1st time I do not know.

But regardless I say the same - if you want to pay premium prices for a sub standard device then knock yourself out, I certainly don't care.

Back on topic - we'll have to see what the update brings, hopefully it won't introduce any new failures..................I am however waiting for the first "firmware bricked my unit" post :hysterical:

Edited by Bailey151

How American.............................wah, wah, wah, my ba-gina hurts = let's sue somebody.

First question - how many people have this issue? You make it sound like it's 100% - I don't believe it. I've had a grand total of 1 re-boot since I took delivery. I have zero issues with navigation. I've never had it take 5 minutes to calculate a route, maybe 30 seconds or so.

Here's a thought - you know it's an issue with Sync how exactly? It could very well be the iPhone doesn't play well with others or in this case sync. It's all software & until someone does a full QA test with the devices it's real hard to point fingers..............................especially with Apple a company that's a tad zealous at keeping things proprietary. Pretty much everything they make doesn't really play well with others. Until a full test is done we don't know. My phone won't send text messages over BT, can read but not send.....ain't Sync's fault. EVERYBODY has a hard time making things work with Apple products.................that's because Apple only wants to work with Apple. This is what killed them the 1st time & it's what will kill them this time.

I've not had those issues with the Nav, works "okay"................but then I'm aware that car nav units are close to the bottom of the pile, well except Apple Maps = I don't expect much from them. Certainly never had the issues you describe.

Seems to be defective unit, should be replaced under warranty.

Now I'll not say it's perfect but it does work fine - chief complaint is apps & the interface could be better................but..........I've not had any issues with functionality like music, that works fine as does the navigation.

He isnt' the only one having issues.

I have had about 1 issue about every other week with my MFT with SYNC in my 2013 Escape. I have only owned the car for about 3 months adn I have a laundry list of stuff that has happened during that short period of time.

Everytime I attempt to use voice controls to play a song from my iPod, I get "Indexing, please wait". (It has now been indexing my iPod for 3 months. And this is after I ran the iTunes Sync update tool to "fix" all the sync unfriendly song info on my iPod.)

I've had issues where I have no volume control over the radio, no volume at all from the radio (any media, other than the beeps you here switching between media types).

The navigation unit froze the entire unit until it actually rebooted itself.

If you iPHone is playing music through BTStereo and you happen to plug the phone in to charge it, there is about an 80% chance that it will interrupt your playback (even if you have the option set to NOT autoplay a USB device once it's discovered).

I had a JVC stereo in my old '99 Grand Prix with a USB jack that allowed me to access my iPhone and iPod. I NEVER had any issues with it. It cost $200 and worked like a champ. This system, which cost more the $200, no where close to as reliable.

I told them I wanted to return the MFT and they said I couldn't. I said it is NOT woking as advertised. They said it's part of the car and I was stuck with it. If MFT was a home audio stand alone unit, I would have returned it already.

Now, when it does work, I really do like it. It's pretty slick. Hopefully, with 3.6, they can clean up some of these bugs. I know that they came up with an upgrade right with I bought my car for 3.5.1 and now they have another one. So, if they can keep putting out upgrades and fixes 2 - 3 times a year to address these bugs/issues, I can live with it.

He isnt' the only one having issues.

I have had about 1 issue about every other week with my MFT with SYNC in my 2013 Escape. I have only owned the car for about 3 months adn I have a laundry list of stuff that has happened during that short period of time.

Everytime I attempt to use voice controls to play a song from my iPod, I get "Indexing, please wait". (It has now been indexing my iPod for 3 months. And this is after I ran the iTunes Sync update tool to "fix" all the sync unfriendly song info on my iPod.)

I've had issues where I have no volume control over the radio, no volume at all from the radio (any media, other than the beeps you here switching between media types).

The navigation unit froze the entire unit until it actually rebooted itself.

If you iPHone is playing music through BTStereo and you happen to plug the phone in to charge it, there is about an 80% chance that it will interrupt your playback (even if you have the option set to NOT autoplay a USB device once it's discovered).

I had a JVC stereo in my old '99 Grand Prix with a USB jack that allowed me to access my iPhone and iPod. I NEVER had any issues with it. It cost $200 and worked like a champ. This system, which cost more the $200, no where close to as reliable.

I told them I wanted to return the MFT and they said I couldn't. I said it is NOT woking as advertised. They said it's part of the car and I was stuck with it. If MFT was a home audio stand alone unit, I would have returned it already.

Now, when it does work, I really do like it. It's pretty slick. Hopefully, with 3.6, they can clean up some of these bugs. I know that they came up with an upgrade right with I bought my car for 3.5.1 and now they have another one. So, if they can keep putting out upgrades and fixes 2 - 3 times a year to address these bugs/issues, I can live with it.

Do you have a lot of music on your iPod? Indexing takes much longer when using a source with a large amount of music (the system needs to build the voice grammars for all of the items that are there). I'm not sure of the frequency of the indexing, but I know it will re-index more often than you'd expect. It's not an excuse, but it is the reason why it happens. As a workaround, I have about 7GB of music on a thumb drive that I use in my car and I don't have the indexing issues. When trying to use an external HDD with around 100GB of music before that I'd run into the indexing errors. Of note - you can still browse through the touchscreen interface while indexing happens (again, not an excuse, but more of a workaround).

I've also had the issues with the BT Stereo playback stopping when plugging in to USB after the stream already was established. With my setup, this is caused by the phone, not the MFT system. On the phone, there is a setting (I believe you get to it by using the airplay/playback icon) that will allow you to pick what interface it outputs the playback over (BT vs USB/dock connector). I haven't looked into it enough to find a way to turn it off - I just plug in first before starting a BT stereo stream.

Edited by bluspikez

Do you have a lot of music on your iPod? Indexing takes much longer when using a source with a large amount of music (the system needs to build the voice grammars for all of the items that are there). I'm not sure of the frequency of the indexing, but I know it will re-index more often than you'd expect. It's not an excuse, but it is the reason why it happens. As a workaround, I have about 7GB of music on a thumb drive that I use in my car and I don't have the indexing issues. When trying to use an external HDD with around 100GB of music before that I'd run into the indexing errors. Of note - you can still browse through the touchscreen interface while indexing happens (again, not an excuse, but more of a workaround).

I've got a ton of mp3s on my iPod. Don't really have any indexing issues. Others seem to have it with very small libraries, so I don't think it's really a size issue. Of course, when changes are made to it, it will re-index, but I usually only update mine every few months.

Question.... since I am not to sure what section to post this in? But I registered the MKZ with sync the car was invoiced July 2th but I have these messages:

I dont have the car yet I am hoping the dealer calls or emails me sometime soon, but should I go ahead and and log back on to sync and activate the complimentary SYNC Service along with the Vehicle Health Report?