Is Mazda In Trouble?

OHV 16V

That's disappointing to hear, although not that surprising. There are very few Mazdas sold in Europe. If you can't break the European market, you've gotta have some market share issues :(

I've owned a Mazda3 for the past 8 years, rock solid car. My only complaint with them was the maintenance which I've heard they've fixed more recently.

Damn!! I have put the new Mazda 6 on my short list to replace my Fusion in about a year. I am hoping that by that time, the Skyactiv D motor will be available in the 6...not wanting to sound like mlhm5, but I really am interested in the Skyactiv D diesel motor....want to see it in action....

Another issue is that most of their best sellers are smaller cars with little profit margin on them. They don't have any beyond the 6 that are high profit margin..the CX-9 is nothing more then a XL Edge and is at the end of its product cycle.

I haven't priced Mazada products lately, but how many of them get into the higher 30K-40K range?

my understanding was the new 6 was an improved last gen Fusion...

It's more accurate to say that the current 6 LOOSELY shares a platform with the last gen Fusion - definitely not a rebadge. Even the wheelbase was different.

And it has absolutely nothing in common at all with the current CD4 Fusion.

...I haven't priced Mazada products lately, but how many of them get into the higher 30K-40K range?

You got me wondering that myself, so I went over to look. The only vehicle that can get there is the CX-9, and of the three available trim levels, you have to pick either the mid (Touring) or up-level (Grand Touring) trim. In the case of the Touring model, you still have to select the AWD version to hit $37k. The Grand Touring gets up there in either FWD or AWD models.

But.....yea.....that's really it.

When I look at the Mazda6, I see the Ford Fusion in it. Basically looks like a rebadge to me with different grill, some different grooves and styling.

That doesn't mean they share anything mechanically. I mean really, when you boil it down, most sedans have relatively similar 3-box shapes. With a little blurring, a BMW 5-series wouldn't look a whole heck of a lot different from a Camry in profile. :shrug:

• Like 1

I'm sure you're only counting what are considered "full line" automakers. There are a ton of niche brands out there with only a couple models that are wholly independent.

Most of those niche manufacturers are part of larger conglomerates and/or are the pet projects of wealthy individuals. Also, I'm leaving China out of the mix because, frankly, I don't trust any data that comes from that country--and especially any information about ownership.

Edited by RichardJensen

Proof that winning comparison tests does not equal saving a car company.

Sad but true. Among the smaller players in the global automotive industry, Mazda is noteworthy for products that are reliable, stylish, and fun to drive (for the most part). I really hope they survive.

That doesn't mean they share anything mechanically. I mean really, when you boil it down, most sedans have relatively similar 3-box shapes. With a little blurring, a BMW 5-series wouldn't look a whole heck of a lot different from a Camry in profile. :shrug:

All I was saying is that they look similair in certain aspects. Never said anything about sharing mechanically.

When I look at the Mazda6, I see the Ford Fusion in it. Basically looks like a rebadge to me with different grill, some different grooves and styling.

When I look at 2006-2012 Fusion, I see a reconfigured Mazda 6

The new Mazda 6 has a 111" wheelbase where the CD3 Fusion was 107", that makes a huge difference to the vehicle styling and dynamics.

I recon it's valid to suggest that the new Mazda 6 is a parallel universe where Ford continues with CD3 Fusion and forgets Ecoboost.

The 2014 Mazda 6 is a very good effort but I think the problem lies with Mazda USA advertising of its products,

and it's probably true that the 6 is not on most mid sized buyer's shopping lists....

Edited by jpd80

I guess I don't. Not sure if that was an actual question or an insult.

Which could be applied to your post regarding Mazda 6 being a "rebadged" Fusion...

That the thing sharing a platform is way more than being a rebadge but having said that,

I don't think anyone would have objected too much if Ford had continued with a CD3 Fusion

if it was made along the lines of the 2014 6 - if only in size and proportion, not styling.

Edited by jpd80

IIRC the last gen 6 was panned as being too big and soft vs the generation behind it.

From way I understand it, the Fusion took the 6 platform and made it either slightly wider or longer in 2006 when it came out to make it more suitable for American buyers, then Mazda took it and made it even longer/wider in 2008(?) with the new 6 that came out then and continued that trend with the 2013 model. In the same period of time the Fusion just got a MCE then replaced last year by a new model that was a heavily updated EUCD platform made into the CD4. The EUCD platform has its roots in the older C170/C1 platform and even the CDW170 platform that bore the Contour and Mondeo...

Most of those niche manufacturers are part of larger conglomerates and/or are the pet projects of wealthy individuals. Also, I'm leaving China out of the mix because, frankly, I don't trust any data that comes from that country--and especially any information about ownership.

Well, by that definition, I'm sure Mazda has many larger conglomerates, institutional investors, and wealthy invididuals who are involved in it. *shrug*

Which could be applied to your post regarding Mazda 6 being a "rebadged" Fusion...

That the thing sharing a platform is way more than being a rebadge but having said that,

I don't think anyone would have objected too much if Ford had continued with a CD3 Fusion

if it was made along the lines of the 2014 6 - if only in size and proportion, not styling.

Ok...

Thanks for clearing it up.