Does the new LM Strategy Make Sense?

Back in 1961, Lincoln was one car with a rag-top variant, and now it's a product line-up.

So, with the Z and S, Lincoln have covered the $35-50K luxury range that probably is the majority of the market.

IMHO, the question is, what should Lincoln build for the $50-70+K market?

Should it be a 750 L or A8 type luxo sedan, or should it be a wider, more "American" (as opposed to European-International size) chassis for parking 3 300-lb porkers in the back seat?

With all the stumbles and marketing FUBAR of the last decade, it's hard to see Lincoln without the black rain-cloud hanging over the marque.

Thus, it is important to remember how important Lincoln's styling history is, and how much Lincoln has affected the automotive world over the years. Consider this: the 1961 Continental showed the rest of the industry how much better things looked with curved window glass. The 61 car was a lot smaller than the 1960 barge (I believe it was the largest untitized body ever made), and the curved side glass cut into the vehicle seating width (3 porker rule) so in 1964, Lincoln went back to straight, flat glass. The car looked ugly, and curved glass came back for 65.

IMHO, I would like to see a widened 500 platform with the 5.4 driving a Haldex AWD system, instead of a BMW-type solution, which avoids trying to pitch to the Deutschland Uber Alles mind-set, which is futile.

Maybe a reprise of the 61 style and shape would be nice. The platform might have other uses, too.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats where Lincoln needs to stop, at the $60K range. As it is, some Navi's can hit that easily which I think is rediculous...specially when they need to slap on the $10K rebate. They need to price the vehicles according to the real transaction price people are willing to pay. For anything over $50K, I say they get a Jaguar, which was Ford's original plan.

Lincoln can easily fit the $30-60K range. Affordable American Luxury.

Not sure where Ford is headed with L/M. They got themselves into this pit through many years of neglect. It'll take inspired leadership and many yrs to get them out.

Ford: Seems to me that Ford doesn't have faith in its North American design capabilities.

Let's face it, all new Ford cars are going to be based on Mazda or Volvo engineering, (Mustang is an exception to this). I'm not saying this is bad, but it is somewhat saddening.

Mecury: Now, if Mazda Volvo, and Ford can share a platform, and still look unique, why cant Merc? You folks are right when you say that Mercs have always been gussied up Fords, but until recently, they were usually given some unique sheet metal and even some Merc only engine options, (the 410 FE is a good example). Yes, we all like to joke about GM's 80's & 90's folly in badge engineering, yet here Ford is, making the exact same mistake! "Inabillity to learn from your enemy will ensure your own defeat". Yes, unique sheet metal would still require it's own tooling, but Merc only engines could be as simple as a hotter calibraition of the ECM.

Lincoln: I believe Lincoln has to be more than Ford's Buick, (that's Mercs job). Lincoln used to define what an American luxury car was. Well, it's lost that status & it seems that Ford is intent on dumbing the brand down to Buick level, (where does that leave Merc)? Again, since Ford seems to have lost faith in it's NA engineering abilities, where will Lincoln draw expertise from? Mazda & Volvo? not if you want Lincoln to be a unique premium product. I would like to see Lincoln bsaed on Jag. Yes, I know it's been done, and many of you consider it a failure. But was it? It produced the best American built sedan ever. Had the LS been managed just a little bit, it would have been a segment leader. Additionaly, this platform sharing could help offset some of the high overhead at Jag helping both brands out.

Better yet, why not let NA design Lincolns Ford has had some knock out concepts. It seems we're up to the task so why not let Lincoln be the premere AMERICAN luxury car.

Yes, I know I've provided very little detail, since I'm typing this at work, my boss would frown upon my spending too much time goofing off on this forum.

Mecury slot position I concur with... It sould be be up against some of Buick AND the top line of Saturn along with the mid level imports. Mercury must be the import fighter and must use some of Volvo and Mazda products to fill their line out.

Ford Co. must not let Mercury continue to be just a rebadge Ford.

I'm among those that think Mercury should be rebadged EURO Fords.

Mercury's target demographic would be the most likely to embrace the S-MAX, the Focus/Volvo hardtop convertible, and maybe a Meta-One type vehicle to replace the Mountaineer. A Mercury version of the "StreetKa" is so perfect for the target market that it makes my eyes cross. What a great way to steal Mini customers!

The Mariner should be fine as is. The Milan should maybe be more "Iosis" and less "Fusion" when it gets its first major redoing. The GM...maybe a future Aussie Falcon version, I dunno.

Mecury slot position I concur with... It sould be be up against some of Buick AND the top line of Saturn along with the mid level imports. Mercury must be the import fighter and must use some of Volvo and Mazda products to fill their line out.

Ford Co. must not let Mercury continue to be just a rebadge Ford.

Is part of the problem that Mercury has been killed everywhere but in this country and thus it makes less sense to invest the necessary money to differentiate it?

I worry that if too much emphasis is placed on differentiating Ford from Mercury and both from Lincoln, the company risks crippling Ford by withholding features and engines.

If it was feasible, I would focus less on having every car be more than a reskin/rebadge between the different marques and try to just have one car in both Lincoln and Mercury that is so completely different that you can't tell they are related.

The MKS is not completely different, but boy it looks very different to me compared to the 500/Montego. The MKS, is a step in the right direction with Lincoln.

Edited by johnnyb82

Wow this thread is moving fast just now... everybody on lunchbreak?

...Mecury slot position I concur with... It sould be be up against some of Buick AND the top line of Saturn along with the mid level imports. Mercury must be the import fighter... /quote
I kinda think every brand needs to be an import fighter nowadays... Merc = "mid level imports" like Acura/Infiniti?!! :D

...some Merc only engine options... /quote

Would having direct injection make it easier to offer different 'tunes' - mpg,performance,etc.?

Can suspensions be another area for differentiation... maybe with interchangeable components? Lincoln could have an automated intelligent system and Merc a driver selected 'ride control'?

I'm among those that think Mercury should be rebadged EURO Fords... /quote

I used to be. Lately I'd almost rather see them marketed as "Ford of Europe" sold thru select Lincoln dealers (this goes along with my previous 'crazy idea' of splitting Mercury to a different venue).

other things taken out of context -

...Lincoln needs to stop, at the $__ range...

...should Lincoln build for the $50-70+K market?...

...Lincoln can easily fit the $30-60K range...

For Lincoln prices, if they just settled on being the definition of 'American luxury', could they kinda let the $$$ find its own 'high water mark'?

No brand should be defined in opposition, or comparison, to other brands. A brand should be defined in terms of its core buyer.

Mercury's core buyer should be different from Ford's. Mercury should not necessarily have different powertrains or luxury items than Ford, but they should be packaged differently.

Going forward, I see Mercury's product as carrying a more refined look. More jewelry (chrome trim, etc.) A perfect example of this on a small scale is the IP clusters from the Fusion and the Milan. It's a tiny example, but it illustrates two different approaches that can be used from bumper to bumper on mechanically identical cars:

Fusion9int.jpg

mercury_milan_i4_2006_dashboard_10_346x270.jpg

Note that the Milan has chrome, not silver, rings around the gauges, with individual lenses over them, and much finer numeric gradations and a different font (the Fusion uses Ford's standard, Eurostile, the Milan uses Univers). Extend this level of subtle differentiation from bumper to bumper, and you've got two distinct identities for two very similar cars. Cheap.

• 1 year later...

Well they definitely are putting this strategy in place. It looks like Lincoln is going full line except on the bottom end. I don't think Mercury will be canceled in a year or two like so many try to argue around here, but will probably just consist of 2 to 3 models that will fill the bottom of the Lincoln line. Milan and Mariner might be the only Mercuries they need if Lincoln is a full line. When people at Ford keep saying that Mercury has a place in the company they are not just making that up. You don't want to stick the Lincoln name on a $20k car, however you need to offer your dealers some different options.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I did have to look at the dates because I saw "Montego" and figured something wasn't right. Talk about bringing something from the dead....

I do see Ford taking Lincoln full-line, I mean...most other lux. brands, so why not. They can focus on Mercury being something else..maybe premium brand.

Sorry but guess again. Look at Mercury and Lincoln up until the mid 1990s- there was a clear distinction sheet metal wise between a Continental, Taurus, and a Sable; a thunderbird, Cougar, and Mark VII; even the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis had unique quarterpanels to separate them.

Look at LM's lineup today:

Milan- a mildly restyled Fusion

Montego- a rebadged 500

Mountaineer- a rebadged Explorer

Montery- a rebadged Freestar

Mariner- a rebadged Escape

Grand Marquis- a rebadged Crown Victoria

Zeypher- a mildly restyled Fusion

Navigator- a rebadged expedition

Mark LT- a rebadged F-150

MKX- a nildly restyled Edge

Mostly bang on just a minor corection . The CV is a rebadged GM not the other way around the orginal CV body style was dropped and it adopted the GM' s body.

Matthew

No brand should be defined in opposition, or comparison, to other brands. A brand should be defined in terms of its core buyer.

Mercury's core buyer should be different from Ford's. Mercury should not necessarily have different powertrains or luxury items than Ford, but they should be packaged differently.

Going forward, I see Mercury's product as carrying a more refined look. More jewelry (chrome trim, etc.) A perfect example of this on a small scale is the IP clusters from the Fusion and the Milan. It's a tiny example, but it illustrates two different approaches that can be used from bumper to bumper on mechanically identical cars:

Fusion9int.jpg

Note that the Milan has chrome, not silver, rings around the gauges, with individual lenses over them, and much finer numeric gradations and a different font (the Fusion uses Ford's standard, Eurostile, the Milan uses Univers). Extend this level of subtle differentiation from bumper to bumper, and you've got two distinct identities for two very similar cars. Cheap.

I agree with you Richard. Mercury buyers have traditionally been different from Ford Buyers. The bulk of the Ford's We have bought new were in fact Mercury's Since Merc was dropped here In Canada we have not bought one new Ford Product. It has been Mazda, Chrysler and a used Excursion.

Personally I would like Mercury brought back in time as rebadged Lincolns as a lot of Mercury's were years ago. Well the high end merc's were. Mercury sort of bridged the gap between Ford an Lincoln. The high end merc's were reworked Lincolns and the Low end Merc's were re worked Fords . But this when Lincoln actually had unique sheet metal and or chassis’s.

Lincoln needs to0 eventually move up scale as it re-establishes it's self as a Luxury marque and to do that is it gong to have to have unique sheet metal from the Fords. As Lincolns volume increases this will be become economically feasible to do. At that point Lincoln will have reestablished it's self and start moving upscale.

When that happens it will leave a void between Lincoln and Ford. That mercury will be able to fulfill.

The problem is now Lincolns place in the market is the spot that traditionally Mercury filled.

Lincoln has moved down closer to the Ford’s squeezing Mercury out.

A strong Lincoln in turn will lead to stronger Mercury. Mullaly is right in concentrating on Lincoln right now. Cause you’re never going to have a successful Mercury without a successful Lincoln.

Matthew

When asked, Mullaly had nothing to say about Mercury on todays Autoline Detroit show.

When a CEO doesn't say anything positive about a product.... that is usually the "death kiss."

What ford can do is make Mercury the Hybrid brand and when ford brings european models over, they can badge them as Mercuries. A Mercury pickup would be nice to replace the Mazda B-series or Ranger, Ford can produce the big boy pickup trucks and let Mercury handle the compact pickup truck, the truck could be called Monarch? Medallian? M1? also a cougar is needed.

Edited by FordFanForEver

Fusion9int.jpg

Mercury will be phased out at the conclusion of the current product cycle. I don't know how many times I need to say this before people finally get it! Lincoln will stand alone with no trouble.

Mercury will be phased out at the conclusion for their current product cycle.

Trust me... it's not.

Mercury exists as a function of Lincoln... people come to showrooms to look at Lincolns, some leave with Mercury models. Mercury will remain as-is until Lincoln is revived, at which point Ford will make a decision as to the direction of the brand.

If Lincoln is to go global then keeping JLR would actually have made a lot more sense. In Europe we simply don't believe in American Luxury cars. We associate American with "Pile it high and sell it cheap". Ford as a brand in Europe was partly built on that basis. The sad things is that Lincoln had a unique opportunity to reposition itself as a premium car company selling through a combined JLR/ Lincoln and possibly Mercury dealer network.

In Europe the logical move would have been to upgrade Lincoln's Interiors and to have changed some of the more American styling for European styling. The MKS looks like a decent car, but in Europe we would hate the grill and think of the interior as cheaper than a Ford. Obviously that's a problem if your targeting premium sales in Europe.

So by amending these things on Lincoln and perhaps by calling it Rover or even Daimler (Jag own this brand in some counteries) in Europe then Lincoln could have almost guaranteed itself just under 100,000 sales a year. Rover controlled 13% of the UK market in the 90's! Hundred's of thousand of ex Rover buyers would have run into Lincolns arms, especially with a lightly touhed up MKS. It would have been good for Jag as they want to ditch the X type anyway and it would have grown the dealer network by adding US dealers. Still don't believe me? I went on one MG message board yesterday and someone in Europe was saying how nice the MKS looked....but shame about the hideous grill they said....

Mercury shoud then have possibly gone into Ford dealers but started selling Ford of Europe cars instead. In actual fact Volvo is the weak link. It's a competitor of Lincoln and it can't easily dealer share. The tragic thing is that TATA appear to have sussed this one out. They want 13% of the UK car market and are planning a whole new range of TATA's which they intend to make Euro versions of for Europe. If they get Land Rover then these cars WILL be badged Rover.

Lincoln and JLR could have had a great future together under this model. But now Lincoln will have to enter foreign markets and battle against the currents. What a shame!

If Lincoln is to go global then keeping JLR would actually have made a lot more sense.

Looking at Jaguar/Land Rover sales in US they are not much use as a global company, l am glad Ford are getting rid of them. I don't think Lincoln would have much of a problem selling into Russia that's where most of the Land Rover/Range Rover big sales gains have come from. Fuel prices in Russia are the same as the US. Ford is the biggest seller of foreign cars in Russia they could sell them through Ford dealerships. It would be win, win for both Ford & Lincoln.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Looking at Jaguar/Land Rover sales in US they are not much use as a global company, l am glad Ford are getting rid of them. I don't think Lincoln would have much of a problem selling into Russia that's where most of the Land Rover/Range Rover big sales gains have come from. Fuel prices in Russia are the same as the US. Ford is the biggest seller of foreign cars in Russia they could sell them through Ford dealerships. It would be win, win for both Ford & Lincoln.

Lincoln curently sell piles in Russia, mind you they are mostly imported Town Cars. The Panthers are hugely popular there as are any full size NA Cars or SUV's. Russia has alot in common with NA cheapr gas and large expanses. Thier Automotive tastes are more American then in the rest of Europe. Hell they were selling piles of CV's GM's and TC's there in the 90's Even the Moscow police were using the CV.

Matthew

Edited by matthewq4b

Lincoln curently sell piles in Russia, mind you they are mostly imported Town Cars. The Panthers are hugely popular there as are any full size NA Cars or SUV's. Russia has alot in common with NA cheapr gas and large expanses. Thier Automotive tastes are more American then in the rest of Europe. Hell they were selling piles of CV's GM's and TC's there in the 90's Even the Moscow police were using the CV.

Matthew

Thanks for that Matthew very interesting, Crown Vic's are being used by Moscow Police.

Moscow police . . . hmm . . . speaking of Russia, last night I saw the Clint Eastwood flick, "Firefox".

Which makes me wonder, what if Lincoln managed to offer thought-controlled accessories, instead of voice activation?

They could call it the MK Ultra, with available CIA (Controlled Intelligence Activation). :)

Edited by Edstock

It looks like Ford is finally settling on their new plan with Lincoln-Mercury, namely by turning Lincoln into a volume brand. For years, Mercury was the volume brand while Lincoln sold a Continental/Town Car and a Mark coupe. Now the Lincoln volume is being turned up a notch with many new models on the way:

-MKZ entry level luxury sedan

-MKX entry-level sportwagon crossover

-MKS midlevel luxury sedan

-Navigator/Navigator L

-Lincoln 3-row crossover

On top of this, there are three other models rumored to still be in the works. A Lincoln RWD sports sedan to slot between the Zephyr and MKS, a RWD coupe to act as a halo car, and a large AWD sedan to slot above the MKS and to truly replace the Town Car.

Mercury on the other hand, while it does have a very new and hot showroom, is looking to have product issues in the near future:

-Milan is doing well

-Montego is getting a major update in a few months, but otherwise has been a slow seller to date

-Mariner is also doing well for the moment, and is getting a full redesign soon

-Grand Marquis is dying a slow, painful death, which is a problem for Mercury volume

-Mountaineer is hanging on, but in a dying segment, with no replacement on the way

-Monterey is dead in the water, with no replacement in sight

At this point, Mercury has the Milan and Mariner going for it, as well as a great advertising campaign that has returned the brand to relevance after all these years. They also have a chance if the Mercury Magellan Freestyle-clone is still in the works, and if the Grand Marquis's '08 redesign is as extensive as some have said.

Another big chance Mercury would have to greatly increase volume would be to get in on the C2 project while it's still in development, and get a C-segment car. It could be built alongside the Focus, but to European-specification with a ritzy interior and a convertible model.

Personally, I feel Mercury needs more product, and that there has to be at least ONE sporty product in the showroom. Any thoughts?

Doesnt make sense..."volume brand" is not a strategy. It might be an output..but certainly not a strategy.

They had the right idea in the past in targeting different economic segments as they related to one's age position in life, but nowadays with brand loyalty shrinking this doesnt make sense. Particularly when each brand merely takes the same product and rebadges it.

cut mercury and focus lincoln on the high end market (cadillac, lexus etc.)

Mercury will be phased out at the conclusion of the current product cycle. I don't know how many times I need to say this before people finally get it! Lincoln will stand alone with no trouble.

Only if Ford is dumb enough to cancel the platform underneath the best selling Lincoln and Mercury nameplates ever.

And then you might even get to see Lincoln go away.

Edited by Armada Master