GM's Advertising Identity Crisis Hurting Sales

Mad Hatter

It looks like General Motors is going through an identity crisis as its marketing strategy has flip-flopped by changing its targeted audience. The new General Motors' truck ad, "Strong," targets conservatives by honoring a heroic and manly GM truck buyer with lyrics that describe him as a "love one woman for all his life" type of guy who arrived at work on time for twenty straight years. The rugged, heterosexual identity of today's GM differs greatly from last year's politically correct version when the company won praise for running a "gay" Chevy Volt ad and for flying rainbow banners to celebrate America's sexual diversity.

http://bankruptcylawreview.com/blog/gms-advertising-identity-crisis-hurting-sales

I don't think it's the advertising - I think it's the vehicles and the way they've chosen to develop, price and market them. They've created a buyer base that expects big rebates because sales volume is more important than profit.

Ding, Ding, Ding...we have a winner.

GM buyers are now so conditioned to expect big incentives that they stay away from new products until GM throws a big cash incentive or aggressive leasing deals..

No offense to OP, but this is quite possibly the dumbest article I've ever read. You target your ads to different people. GM does it, Ford does it, Honda does it...everyone does it.

Ford ran patriotic ads depicting heroes returning from war. They've also ran ads in gay magazines, websites and other publications. Remember the American Family Association's boycott of Ford products in 2006 because they advertised in gay publications?

I agree that GM (and to that extent, most auto manufacturers) advertising strategies are all over the place, but this article is just drivel.

• Like 3

Intrepidatious is correct regarding advertising selecting different target audiences but regardless of that,

most would perceive that GM is not exactly hitting its marks with sales versus inventory levels of certain models.

I think that GM still struggles with convincing buyers to purchase higher value Chevrolet vehicles, preferring to direct those buyers to its premium brands.

Intrepidatious is correct regarding advertising selecting different target audiences but regardless of that,

most would perceive that GM is not exactly hitting its marks with sales versus inventory levels of certain models.

I think that GM still struggles with convincing buyers to purchase higher value Chevrolet vehicles, preferring to direct those buyers to its premium brands.

One problem is that most buyers under the age of 60 do not perceive Buick as a "premium" brand. I recall reading that the brands most commonly cross-shopped with Buick are Ford and Toyota.

People my age and younger do not believe that there is anything special about driving a Buick versus driving a Chevrolet. If anything, Buick's image is WORSE than that of Chevrolet's image, which is at least bolstered by the Silverado, Tahoe/Suburban, Corvette and Camaro.

A larger question:

Why is GM busy telling buyers what kind of buyers buy its products?

That is not good advertising.

It's the delivery,

it's pants on backwards to categorize stereotype buyers instead of sending a positive message

that GM listens to its buyers and makes vehicles just for them them.

Edited by jpd80

A larger question:

Why is GM busy telling buyers what kind of buyers buy its products?

That is not good advertising.

I think to some extent, it makes sense. If you show the heroic man driving the Silverado, it will reach straight men who identify with those "ideals" (go to work everyday on time, be faithful to your wife, etc). I think the bigger problem is I don't see any other ads for the Silverado that try to reach others with other ideals.

So in that vein, you're right that GM seems to advertise for the buyers vs advertising the vehicle itself in different ways to reach different buyers (if I'm making any sense here).

No offense to OP, but this is quite possibly the dumbest article I've ever read. You target your ads to different people. GM does it, Ford does it, Honda does it...everyone does it.

Ford ran patriotic ads depicting heroes returning from war. They've also ran ads in gay magazines, websites and other publications. Remember the American Family Association's boycott of Ford products in 2006 because they advertised in gay publications?

I agree that GM (and to that extent, most auto manufacturers) advertising strategies are all over the place, but this article is just drivel.

Fantastic post. You hit the nail on the head. It seems like more of a GM hate piece than anything. There is nothing wrong with GM advertising.

If you show the heroic man driving the Silverado

That's the whole point: Show, don't Tell.

You don't need to say, "This guy is the kind of guy who buys a Silverado. He's tall, rugged, handsome, a good shot with a rifle, lettered in football. He's not afraid to tell his wife he loves her, but he's not going to go overboard. He's more comfortable in a pair of jeans, but he knows how to wear a suit. He enjoys having drinks with the boys on the weekend, but he always drinks responsibly. He's tough without being rude. Fair. He loves his dogs and loves his kids. His lawn is always mowed."

Basically, people are capable of inferring all these things, and when you let them infer from your commercials, it does a better job selling your product.

Edited by RichardJensen

Not long now, we have you Americans using metric engine capacities, you could sell PETROL at $1.00/litre...

I've been watching too much wheeler dealers on Velocity. I think my door cards are perished but the boot is in good kit so I won't need any spanners for that or to shell out a lot of quid.

• Like 2