Ford’s First Fully Automated Wheel Assembly Facility

The Pizza Hut I work at still runs on Linux :/

Infact so does the local key bank! They're allso a bunch of sexist pigs, but whatever.... That's another rant.

What do you mean "still" runs on Linux? A LOT of things "still" run on Linux. It's not like it's some abandoned, orphaned OS software from days past.

Never got into programming....my math skills suck (barely passed algebra, so that doesn't help)...I do networking and admin stuff...

You know, I've heard you have to be good in math to be a programmer, but I just don't see it. Sure, if you are doing extensive math applications, but I've been programming for 15 years, and outside of some insurance and engineering applications I've built, I haven't used any crazy math skills. Maybe it's not the fact that you use the math, it's just folks that are good at math pick up programming rather easily? And I have an engineering degree, so I've got plenty of math background (I happen to love math though :)).

You know, I've heard you have to be good in math to be a programmer, but I just don't see it. Sure, if you are doing extensive math applications, but I've been programming for 15 years, and outside of some insurance and engineering applications I've built, I haven't used any crazy math skills. Maybe it's not the fact that you use the math, it's just folks that are good at math pick up programming rather easily? And I have an engineering degree, so I've got plenty of math background (I happen to love math though :)).

I struggled with the formulas needed to do my Mortgage calculator that I had to program for my one college course LOL

Linux is huge in cloud computing and will continue to grow for servers ( not desktops ). Linux is 70-90% cheaper than unix running on proprietary Unix hardware and just as stable. Linux has powered TiVo software for over a decade and is behind the scene in lots of set top boxes.

It's not math per se - but logical thinkers usually excel at both math and programming.

It's not math per se - but logical thinkers usually excel at both math and programming.

That's more what I was thinking. The consulting firm I work for recruits (or used to, when I started) a lot of engineers. Not for the programming skills, but the problem solving abilities. And that, my friends, is how I became a programmer.

That's more what I was thinking. The consulting firm I work for recruits (or used to, when I started) a lot of engineers. Not for the programming skills, but the problem solving abilities. And that, my friends, is how I became a programmer.

The best designer/programmer/architect I ever worked with had a degree in philosophy. Go figure.

I was hired in 86 to do COBOL but midway through initial training they came in the class and said they had 6 spots in this new group doing something called "Unix" and did anybody want to volunteer. 6 of us broke an arm raising our hands and we were the only 6. The rest - as they say - is history. I asked some of my friends why they wanted to stay with COBOL and they said "job security - just look at all the job ads for COBOL programmers". Then I explained to them that while there may have been 200 COBOL job ads there were probably 4000 qualified applicants. With Unix back then there may have only been 10 jobs but there were probably only 5 qualified applicants.

Wow. That's the innovator's dilemma investing in the past, prevents investment in the future.

You know, I've heard you have to be good in math to be a programmer, but I just don't see it.

I think that's something of a throwback. The 'language' of programming is the language of math. Functions, arguments, variables, algorithms, logical operators, >, <, <=, >-, !=. If you have spent several years as a programmer, you may be surprised to discover that you have a better grasp on higher order mathematics (e.g. multifunction calculus), because you are already accustomed to the notion of multiple variables being necessary to properly evaluate a function. When you were younger, however, it may have been a challenge to grasp that abstract concept.

I think that's something of a throwback. The 'language' of programming is the language of math. Functions, arguments, variables, algorithms, logical operators, >, <, <=, >-, !=. If you have spent several years as a programmer, you may be surprised to discover that you have a better grasp on higher order mathematics (e.g. multifunction calculus), because you are already accustomed to the notion of multiple variables being necessary to properly evaluate a function. When you were younger, however, it may have been a challenge to grasp that abstract concept.

Very good point. However, I went to engineering school, so I had a pretty good grasp on the complex math before I became a programmer. :) Knowing that, it probably made it easier for me to pick up programming more quickly. I will add that my digital logic class was very helpful with the logical operations, and I still remember parts of that class when dealing with complex logic statements. One of the most difficult programming concepts for me to grasp was bit masking. I struggled with that for a couple weeks early in my programming career, and then it's like it just clicked. I love to use it as much as possible, and enjoy explaining it to other programmers who haven't yet grasped it.

I have a Masters Degree in Fine Art, what the hell are you guys talking about, VCR's?

Ah, the MFA. My sculpture prof. in college had an interesting take on that (SDSU only grants B.S. and B.A. degrees in visual art). He said that he would've preferred more humanities coursework, especially as an undergrad, because you have your whole life to learn studio techniques.

I didn't want to leap into the real world too soon, I was 38 when I began gradual school. My undergrad studies were in art, humanities and anthropology, no math or science for this right lobe thinker. It was the early 90's, beginning of the internet, big leap in computers, which we didn't have access to at the time, I wrote my thesis on an old Apple II that was tucked away in a corner. I guess at the time I didn't have any interest in computers, my focus was on metal casting, welding and blacksmithing, old world technologies. Big dreams of making it as an artist, then reality set in. I got tired of living on 10-12K a year, no savings, no health insurance, painting houses more than making art, so I took a job at a State agency in 1996 and now I'm miserable (not really) but have the things I need. God bless America, where the quintessential under achiever can succeed. That reminds me, I need to start working on my book: From Birdie to Bogey in Three Easy Putts, The Life of the Quintessential Under Achiever.

Now back to the regularly scheduled discussion. Bottom line on automated technology taking over jobs, get retrained and educated, or get squashed by the robot overlords.

Edited by transitman