Low Fuel Level Warning

EcoBoost

I recently got a 2013 MKZ and was wondering at what remaining range the low fuel level warning would come on. On my 2009 MKZ, it was triggered at a remaining range of 50 miles to empty - but it seems it's different on the 2013. Before I filled up today, I was down to 30 miles but still didn't get a warning message/chime?

Any idea? At what range is it triggered on the Fusion? The user-manual doesn't provide any details, either....

Thanks! :)

I believe mine would usually come on around 25. That said, there's prob about 3 gals left.

Thanks for your input, jared! :)

That would explain why nothing happened at 30. When I filled up, I was able to put about 14.5 gals in - so that matches as well.

Next time, I'll wait until 25 to see what happens. I know that "higher" numbers can be programmed via "MyKey" - but since there are no teens driving my car, I don't see a reason to program one.

Interesting though that they readjusted the warning from 50 to 25.

The 2013 is an entirely different computer system than the previous gen. It's the same as the other European platforms (Escape and Focus). Mine came on today at 21 miles to empty. I prefer the 50 mte warning as I was on the way to the airport and had to make an unexpected stop. Then again I could have simply looked at the fuel gauge and dte before I got on the interstate but that would have been too easy......

The 2013 is an entirely different computer system than the previous gen. It's the same as the other European platforms (Escape and Focus). Mine came on today at 21 miles to empty. I prefer the 50 mte warning as I was on the way to the airport and had to make an unexpected stop. Then again I could have simply looked at the fuel gauge and dte before I got on the interstate but that would have been too easy......

At 21 is very interesting - so it seems that it's not a fixed number of miles to empty any more.

I also prefer the previous version because 20 or 25 miles is quite tight - it doesn't leave much room. The old version provided some additional warnings as additional precaution.

At this Ford link (http://support.ford.com/sync-technology/mykey-encourages-good-driving-habits-sync-myford-touch), it says it should be warning at 50 mte:

Earlier low-fuel warning: MyKey provides a warning at 75 miles to empty, rather than the standard warning at 50 miles to empty.

This page seems to imply that this applies to all Fords with the MyKey feature, but since I don't have my FFH yet, I don't know if it applies to Fusions or not.

Edited by Hybrider

• 2 weeks later...

At 21 is very interesting - so it seems that it's not a fixed number of miles to empty any more.

I also prefer the previous version because 20 or 25 miles is quite tight - it doesn't leave much room. The old version provided some additional warnings as additional precaution.

My experience is the same. My other Fords chimed at 50 and 25 (07 Mustang, 12 Fiesta) but it is inconsistent with the 13 Fusion. I've had it chime and the gauge go yellow anywhere from 31 to 18 miles to empty. I agree it feels like a step backward.

Focus works the same way. Fiesta and Escape too I assume. It's the Euro programming and I agree it doesn't make sense. Before I had the fuel tank replaced and the cluster reprogrammed mine would go off at 11 miles to empty sometimes.

Much prefer fixed intervals whether it's 50 or 40 or 30.

I have a 13 Energi. If I the HVB does not have range remaining it alerts me at 50 miles of gas/hybrid range remaining. What I found odd was on my Christmas road trip I kept the HVB with 22 miles range on it and ran in EV Later or Hybrid mode to Tucson. While doing that the warning alerted me at 50 miles COMBINED range or just 28 miles of gas/hybrid range.

Personally, I don't care for that calculation when on a road trip. That 22 miles of EV range at Hwy speeds is more like 15. I know I could just plan to refuel before the warning but I would rather it be based solely on gas range and not account for EV.

• 2 weeks later...

Sooooo....Today, I had the opportunity to run low on gas and the low fuel level warning kicked in at a remaining range of 30 miles even.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the future (if it will kick in again at 30 or at some other number in that area).

Edited by EcoBoost

Focus works the same way. Fiesta and Escape too I assume. It's the Euro programming and I agree it doesn't make sense. Before I had the fuel tank replaced and the cluster reprogrammed mine would go off at 11 miles to empty sometimes.

Much prefer fixed intervals whether it's 50 or 40 or 30.

Funny both my European built Foci 2007 and 2012 low fuel warning comes on with 50 miles to empty ( 80km - 49.7097 miles to be exact).

I guess my cars slipped passed the "Euro" programming :doh:

Edited by MKII

I'm pretty sure it comes on when it determines you have 1-1.5 gallons left based on your recent mpg which would explain why it comes on randomly between 15-35ish Mte. Is that what akirby was referring to by Euro programming? I don't mind it too much but would maybe prefer that it did the calculation based on 2-2.5 gallons left.

50 does come in handy though. When I was headed to the airport to pick up my son and the warning went off at 21 miles to empty I was 30 miles from the airport and had to stop and get gas. Had it gone off at 50 I would have been able to get gas before leaving or I would have had enough to make it.

And no - looking at the fuel gauge or distance to empty on my own before the warning goes off is NOT an option........... :) :) :)