Diesel F-150 rumor/confirm?

I wonder why the Ecoboost 2.7 wasn't used for the Transit? Seems like the logical choice listening to many that chimened in on this diesel discussion?

That's a good question. Maybe not enough production capability yet? Maybe it won't be ready in time for the Transit? The Transit also offers the 3.7L V6 instead of the 3.5L that the F150 will have. Maybe they expect the Transit to be under load more regularly than an F150, hence the 3.7L and the PowerStroke? I wouldn't be surprised the see the Transit add the 2.7L in the next couple years.

I wonder why the Ecoboost 2.7 wasn't used for the Transit? Seems like the logical choice listening to many that chimened in on this diesel discussion?

A much higher proportion of fleet buyers with Transit diesel, the same reason why a diesel is offered in SD and MD.

Ecoboost 2.7 is primarily for retail buyers where part time power is needed , diesel is aimed at fleet customers who more frequently load their trucks

Maybe a bit more market research by our half ton diesel advocates, just following the competition is not necessarily a valid business plan.

Ford will be offering a diesel in Transit cab chassis, so you can go put a tray on the back and there's your diesel half ton done and finished

Edited by jpd80

It's pretty clear that Ford has investigated half-ton diesels on more than one occasion.

I guess people here that have no experience making billion dollar decisions in the auto industry must know better than the company that has made the best selling truck over the past 38 years.

Which is totally a logical conclusion, you know.

I never realized just how strong reactivity was.

Some here advocating for a diesel half ton are concluding that reasons given for Ford choosing another product as a personal slight against them

and their quest for a diesel truck - nothing could be further from the truth. Ford is choosing a different path because that plan suits their ends better.

There's nothing to say that Ford won't add a diesel at a later stage...an already federalized 3.2 will be siting there ready for use.....

Edited by jpd80

In its current state, the 3.2's 200hp and 350 lb-ft might not meet current 1/2 ton expectations. I'm sure it would technically be functional, especially with the F150s expected weight advantage, but buyers would be comparing it to the Ram's 240hp and 420 lb-ft. So plug and play from the Transit might not be realistic.

Edited by jpvbs

That's the engines tune in the transit. Pretty sure a few small changes can up the hp & tq...and it may only involve a few keystrokes (6.7L Powerstroke hp/tq increases when introduced).

HP & TQ rating are not only what the engine is capable of. Transmission & chassis are considerations as well.

That's the engines tune in the transit. Pretty sure a few small changes can up the hp & tq...and it may only involve a few keystrokes (6.7L Powerstroke hp/tq increases when introduced).

HP & TQ rating are not only what the engine is capable of. Transmission & chassis are considerations as well.

A new tune with higher output and in a different chassis may also require changes to the emissions equipment and even other hard parts of the engine. I don't have any idea if there is adequate overhead built in to the 3.2 design to support higher power outputs and GVWs with just a tune, or if more changes would be required to pass OEM reliability testing. The 6.7 is receiving structural upgrades to support a power increase coming in 2015. Point being that being federalized for the Transit may not make it ready for the F150.

Edited by jpvbs
  • Like 1

That's a good question. Maybe not enough production capability yet? Maybe it won't be ready in time for the Transit? The Transit also offers the 3.7L V6 instead of the 3.5L that the F150 will have. Maybe they expect the Transit to be under load more regularly than an F150, hence the 3.7L and the PowerStroke? I wouldn't be surprised the see the Transit add the 2.7L in the next couple years.

A much higher proportion of fleet buyers with Transit diesel, the same reason why a diesel is offered in SD and MD.

Ecoboost 2.7 is primarily for retail buyers where part time power is needed , diesel is aimed at fleet customers who more frequently load their trucks

Maybe a bit more market research by our half ton diesel advocates, just following the competition is not necessarily a valid business plan.

Ford will be offering a diesel in Transit cab chassis, so you can go put a tray on the back and there's your diesel half ton done and finished

Don' forget NA Trasit was supposed to be released in 2013 - maybe the EB2.7 was NOT ready when the decisions had to be made 5-6 years back (not when it's announced in 2012)?

Also remember, the 3.2 diesel is $3500 more than the EB35 in Transit while less capable than the EB35.

So, it might be possible that Ford will add 3.2 diesel to F150 after Ram diesel taking off (IF);

it's certainly possible to go the other way, add EB2.7 to Transit after seeing how few Ram diesel and Transit diesel sell in the next two years.

It's good to have options.

Edited by 03 LS

Then there must be a reason Ford hasn't offered one and has instead decided to offer EB engines. Ford will offer one if/when they feel it is right.

I think the answer is straightforward. The EB engines can be used across the entire product line, whereas diesels have limited usage. If I were an auto-company (and thankfully to the masses I am not)...I'd go with the engine that has economies of scale and produces similar results as a diesel with lower ongoing costs to the buyer.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I think the answer is straightforward. The EB engines can be used across the entire product line, whereas diesels have limited usage. If I were an auto-company (and thankfully to the masses I am not)...I'd go with the engine that has economies of scale that produces similar results as a diesel with lower ongoing costs to the buyer.

I would say you are correct. And your plan sounds pretty good to me.

My SWAG: It's a different vehicle in a different market segment with a different target audience. It's like asking why Ford doesn't (currently) offer the EB35 in the Super Duty line--they don't think the market is there to justify pulling powertrains from other lines where they're confident they'll sell.

I haven't spent much time here lately so maybe I missed this. Interesting sort of confirmation.

Fair use;

heh...

It would now appear that TTAC's artilce about a diesel f150 was either made up or TTAC never contacted Ford for confirmation

Ford has shut down any idea of a diesel F150 being in the works.

LINK

Rumors about a diesel F-150 were shut down real fast; every Ford rep I could get a hold of at the

Chicago auto show was adamant that no such plans exist. Not for this body style, not at all.

Edited by jpd80

I get the impression that these were not the non-denial denials that were given to questions about the aluminum F150:

Ford wouldn’t confirm the authenticity of the rumor, calling it "premature," but added that "we're already a leader in using aluminum in full-size pickups, and we're constantly looking to use technology to improve fuel economy."

Well, do you honestly expect Ford to tell the automotive press that a diesel is in the works?

Yes, because Ford has been up front about everything else regarding the '15 F150

as well as being on record as to why it chooses diesel for particular segments and not others

Ford does leave open the option of a future Diesel but the point is clear, No diesel F150 in the immediate future

LINK June 2013 - Ford Says No to Diesel-powered F-150 Truck

Believe it or not, Ford declined to join the party claiming that a diesel light-duty pickup truck doesn’t make sense for the time being.

"We don't see the dynamics for an F-150 diesel right now," said Raj Nair, Ford's group vice president of global product development.

"If you go through the math, your payback is much longer and consumers are smart enough to know that."

Edited by jpd80

Sadly though, the Ram diesels numbers will KILL any powertrain from anyone....under load....diesels forte...

Sadly, the Ram Ecodiesel won't be towing or hauling much of a load.

700 lb payload ratings exposed by Power Kid, Rambo and fordmantpw on f150online.

http://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-f-150/492873-if-anyone-ford-listening-2.html

And here's the thing about the Dodge diesel:

- It's not a cheap option

- It's capabilities in the most expensive trims are quite pedestrian

Now you have to wonder how many buyers are going to be picking the most expensive engine option---in a midlevel trim package.

I mean it seems like the most likely buyers are ones buying the Laramie & Longhorn trims, yet in those trims its capabilities are worse than the 5.0L V8 in the F150.