A side bar with akirby

Administration of the OT forum has been the purview of Nick for quite a while and we "naughty ones" have a relationship and mutual expectation of how we can expect his discipline to be applied.

I guess I am most concerned with your interference/interjection of influence in the O.T. forum. With the exception of excessively lewd or inflammatory conduct, the deletion of posts has not been applied.

I grant that you are an admin....though you typically admin in other forums. However, I am disappointed that you felt the need to take command here rather than respect the admin responsible......going over his head, so to speak.

I hope this is an exception rather than a rule. Because we have a gentleman's agreement of sorts with Nick and how far we are allowed to go. Those that push it understand the consequences. Your admin actions make that understanding more difficult to predict and account for.

I "ask" that you allow Nick to manage this forum as he sees fit and as long as he sees fit.

Just asking.

Respectfully,

FiredMotorCompany

Edited by FiredMotorCompany

No but it is common, somebody posts whatever and the name calling begins.

Delete the thread.

Better yet, kick / ban the common denominator offender/s.

Its really not that hard to figure out.

No but it is common, somebody posts whatever and the name calling begins.

Delete the thread.

Your one of them in my book. You resort to the same broad brush name calling as those you consider the offender/s.

Other than Nick, Akirby and Ron the rest of us would be banned.

Not exactly a sidebar when the jury can read it. A PM is a sidebar ;)

Compared to some of the other forums I frequent, people here get away with bloody murder. That isn't a shot at Nick or anyone else, different forums just have different styles of moderation.

My beef (as previously stated) is we have too many threads that are:

- Inflammatory for the explicit purpose of being inflammatory (trolling).
- Inflammatory for the purpose of drawing out a minority, and subsequently gang-banging said minority (trolling+validation)

Political posts here are pointless. Why? Too many ideologues.

You can't have an intelligent discussion with people that will never see past blind political rhetoric. I've seen discussions here where people from each side have blatantly and effectively proven the other side wrong by providing cold, hard facts, yet neither yield an inch, or more often than not just refuse delivery by ignoring said facts....which at time are irrefutable.

You cant have an intelligent political discussion with someone that dismisses all liberals as X, all conservatives as y, or anyone that blanket labels and entire group. You can have a discussion that devolves to third-grade name-calling though.

Do we really need so many inflammatory political threads, most of which are trolling by design? Where is the harm in throwing all inflammatory political discussion into a single thread?

Make a political thread and make it a sticky.

Make a global warming thread and make it a sticky.

Immediately close any non-political thread that becomes politicized.
Absolutely, positively, no personal attacks. If you can't discuss issues like an adult, you don't get to sit at the grown-ups table.

And for the record folks even if the mods did this it still wouldn't be considered "tough" moderation.

Not exactly a sidebar when the jury can read it. A PM is a sidebar ;)

Compared to some of the other forums I frequent, people here get away with bloody murder. That isn't a shot at Nick or anyone else, different forums just have different styles of moderation.

My beef (as previously stated) is we have too many threads that are:

- Inflammatory for the explicit purpose of being inflammatory (trolling).

- Inflammatory for the purpose of drawing out a minority, and subsequently gang-banging said minority (trolling+validation)

Political posts here are pointless. Why? Too many ideologues.

You can't have an intelligent discussion with people that will never see past blind political rhetoric. I've seen discussions here where people from each side have blatantly and effectively proven the other side wrong by providing cold, hard facts, yet neither yield an inch, or more often than not just refuse delivery by ignoring said facts....which at time are irrefutable.

You cant have an intelligent political discussion with someone that dismisses all liberals as X, all conservatives as y, or anyone that blanket labels and entire group. You can have a discussion that devolves to third-grade name-calling though.

Do we really need so many inflammatory political threads, most of which are trolling by design? Where is the harm in throwing all inflammatory political discussion into a single thread?

Make a political thread and make it a sticky.

Make a global warming thread and make it a sticky.

Immediately close any non-political thread that becomes politicized.

Absolutely, positively, no personal attacks. If you can't discuss issues like an adult, you don't get to sit at the grown-ups table.

And for the record folks even if the mods did this it still wouldn't be considered "tough" moderation.

Spare us your insightful commentary as to what qualifies as acceptable and unacceptable around here. I'm not interested. If you want to see posters who refuse to accept any other point of view around here you need only say something even remotely critical about a Ford product and watch as the other posters levy insult after insult at you. In other words they are ideologues. Their behavior is no different than what takes place in the OT forum, only the topic is different. You spaniard are by no means innocent of the behavior you claim to be opposed to as you have regularly done the same thing.

Edited by BlackHorse

Spare us your insightful commentary as to what qualifies as acceptable and unacceptable around here. I'm not interested. If you want to see posters who refuse to accept any other point of view around here you need only say something even remotely critical about a Ford product and watch as the other posters levy insult after insult at you. In other words they are ideologues. Their behavior is no different than what takes place in the OT forum, only the topic is different. You spaniard are by no means innocent of the behavior you claim to be opposed to as you have regularly done the same thing.

I always go to Ford forums to talk about my Toyotas, especially knowing that there are plenty of Ford employees. Wait, no "I" do not.

Quite frankly, this section of the site has been running like a renegade, wild, wild west drama. Topics and posts are hijacked on a routine level and personal attacks are the norm.

Collectively, we've decided that we need to address many issues with regard to how this section operates and make it an enjoyable place in which to participate in discussion.

• Like 1