C-Max MPG my real life experience

Run your liberal math on that one.

Here's the deal, chevys:

Robert has already deleted one of your posts.

Akirby has warned you about your personal attacks.

And you can consider this my warning to you about bringing politics into an apolitical forum.

You are on incredibly thin ice here. If you continue to post in anger, you are unquestionably going to be taking a vacation.

The next time you read something here that makes you mad, count to ten, take a few deep breaths, and try to get a sense of perspective before you hit reply.

Here's the deal, chevys:

Robert has already deleted one of your posts.

Akirby has warned you about your personal attacks.

And you can consider this my warning to you about bringing politics into an apolitical forum.

You are on incredibly thin ice here. If you continue to post in anger, you are unquestionably going to be taking a vacation.

b

The next time you read something here that makes you mad, count to ten, take a few deep breaths, and try to get a sense of perspective before you hit rly.

Responding

no personal attaches.

BB

Not taking any shit from you Jensen. I have as much of a right as you do here. You are the one on thin ice. Banning me is easy.

Do it , Sick of your shit and when you hit theban button I have a surpirse for you sir. Do it.

I've been away a while. I spent far more time reading BON before I bought my Ford than after! I'm definitely lacking context, and skipped most of the back and forth in this thread anyway. I hope I didn't get too political in my response either.

I don't think there's any purely monetary case for a new car, period. It's a money sink. When I think of how much more I could have saved by staying in my old car another year... The only way you could ever justify it financially is to assume you want a new car, and thus to compare a new hybrid against a similar new non-hybrid. If you want to see what the worm eats, you compare an apple with a worm to an apple without one. You'd never learn anything about the worm by comparing an apple to a motorcycle.

Frankly, I would have bought a C-Max even if it were offered in a conventional engine for a few grand less. Mostly I got it because I like the overall package and think it's one of the best vehicles Ford or anyone has ever put together in my price range, given my wants. Sure, I have fun gaming my commute for MPGs, but that's as much distraction as anything else.

Because I don't care that much about the hybrid aspect, I've never actually done the math about whether a hypothetical conventional C-Max would save money compared to my actual C-Max.

If you assume the Fusion, with an identical hybrid drivetrain as the C-Max, is a good stand-in to guess how much the hybrid adds to the price, I would expect a $4000 difference between hybrid and non-hybrid (based on the S model). That would have saved $70/month on my 5-year, 2% loan. I average pretty low mileage 1000 miles a month; my previous car averaged 26MPG, I am getting 44MPG on my C-Max. That's a decrease from 38.46 gallons/month to 21.74 gallons/month, or $66.88 /month at $4/gallon. It's probably more fair to again compare standard Fusion (26MPG combined rated) against its Hybrid (42MPG), 23.8 gallons/month, or $58/month.

(Looking again, the difference between the hybrid and conventional Titanium trims is only $1600. If that more closely represents the marginal cost of the hybrid drivetrain, then the change to the loan price is only $28/month, which is pretty modest.)

I actually feel a bit better now about the hybrid than I did before I started writing this reply!

When we bought our C-Max in November of 2012 we had planned to get an Escape. In fact we had talked about or next car since the early rumors of the Kuga coming to America. In the spring of '12 the Escapes began arriving and we decided on all the options. We went with 2wd because we live in southern NC and don't have much snow so 4wd was not necessary. We selected the SEL with everything else. We just could not decide which color. As we were trying to decide on color the C-Max began to arrive. I checked the seating position and discovered it was high enough so we began to investigate the possibility. The 47, 47, 47 convinced me that a hybrid was the way to go because it was almost identical in cost to the loaded Escape which was the other consideration.

While the MPG has been lowered 2x by Ford we do get the 47 average since purchase. We do drive it as a hybrid and we love everything about the car. My wife does get about 1.5 less MPG than I do but that is because I am constantly looking ahead for traffic which in turn causes me to be a safer driver. We got our second check 2 days ago and I called Ford and reported our results, the lady I talked to was surprised that someone would call with good news, and she thanked me,

For all of the doughters out there I can only say if you drive the hybrid as a hybrid the estimated MPGs can be achieved. Some bought the car and expected the 47 while running full speed are disappointed but in my mind without reason.

As far as the cost. I was going to get the Escape as the vehicle that best fit our needs, 2 retired adults that often hauls a couple of grand kids. Hauls some things from the hardware on occasion. As efficient as possible, got to watch that fixed income. The C-Max was basically the same cost with everything we wanted except BLIS, which we can live without but at least 50% less gas..

Edited by 4d4evr

Not at all. Phil, from the math I did you need to drive 40K to break even on what you overpaid for a hybrid to begin with. Thats good. Then you come out on the good side of things and God help you if you need a repair on a hybrid. Thats going to get expensive. Still,

impressed on the deal you made sir. Drive them long? I have a *96 GMC that is worn out that I keep driving. INsurance, taxes are dirt cheap. Still runs.

Run your liberal math on that one. Gets about 17 mpg on a good day and paid for long long ago.

Never the less Phil, you have finally made a case and I applaud you. I will follow but dont hold your breath for me to b y a hybrid.

Not at all.

I will refrain from bringing Politics into this fray since Its obvious you mistake your (opinions) for (Facts) much like your Idols, Louie Gohmert and Blake Farenthold. Getting back to paying a "Premium" price for a Ford C-Max Hybrid over a similar priced equally equipped Vehicle such as a Ford Escape. I thought I broke down the economics and dollars and cents to you in my earlier Post. No pencil sharpener or dealing with a (dull) point? Since you brag that you keep your Vehicles from the cradle to the grave, I on the other hand like to keep the economy growing and help keep the Auto Industry robust so I tend to trade in and replace my (2) vehicles every 3 to 5 years, silly me. Consider taking a class in Economics 101 and find out that "spending" energizes the economy while being a Conservative (politicly and fiscally) kills economic growth. Long term cost of Hybrid maintenance, 3 years /36 bumper to bumper on everything plus 7 years and 100K on the Hybrid components including the very costly Hybrid battery. Like Alfred E Newman said, "What me Worry"? Good luck with your Demolition Derby 96` GMC. Hope you reach 300K mileage with it before you need to commit it to the salvage yard for a proper smelting. Cheers..By the way, I can see Cuba from my front porch!

Edited by phil1336

I don't want to derail things again, but I'd say your picture of "liberal green energy nut jobs" is the straw man. Why do you imagine a "liberal green energy nut jobs" would dislike motorcycles? I'd say to the contrary, nothing says more "liberal green energy nut job" more than riding a small, efficient motorcycle: It doesn't take up as much space (placing less demand on road and parking infrastructure), it's small (requiring less energy and resources to build, deliver, and drive), easier to maintain (keeping the vehicle on the road longer, obviating the need to invest the energy into building a replacement), and less maintenance waste. The only drawback green-wise is their reduced emissions control systems generally contribute more to to smog-forming pollution.

By contrasts, hybrids require more materials - especially more hazardous and rare materials, and have more complex systems than normal (reducing expected lifespan, amortizing manufacturing pollution over a shorter time). There are environmental costs to that, not just greater economic costs up front.

It really is an environmental sacrifice to drive a fully enclosed pleasure-wagon, rather than a motorcycle or some form of collectivist transportation. But most people don't want to invest a lot of effort in being green, and half-assed is better than no-assed.

So really, you're on the vanguard of green. Welcome to the "liberal green energy nut job" family!

Im most definitely NOT a liberal nutjob, and I have over 75000 miles on the bike....then again shes not a small un...still, averages 38mpgs and saves me over 1 1/2 hours of driving a day....I will put up with the heat, bugs etc etc to avoid the dreaded Orange Crush ( Orange County bumper to bumper )

Edited by Deanh

I will refrain from bringing Politics into this fray since Its obvious you mistake your (opinions) for (Facts) much like your Idols, Louie Gohmert and Blake Farenthold. Getting back to paying a "Premium" price for a Ford C-Max Hybrid over a similar priced equally equipped Vehicle such as a Ford Escape. I thought I broke down the economics and dollars and cents to you in my earlier Post. No pencil sharpener or dealing with a (dull) point? Since you brag that you keep your Vehicles from the cradle to the grave, I on the other hand like to keep the economy growing and help keep the Auto Industry robust so I tend to trade in and replace my (2) vehicles every 3 to 5 years, silly me. Consider taking a class in Economics 101 and find out that "spending" energizes the economy while being a Conservative (politicly and fiscally) kills economic growth. Long term cost of Hybrid maintenance, 3 years /36 bumper to bumper on everything plus 7 years and 100K on the Hybrid components including the very costly Hybrid battery. Like Alfred E Newman said, "What me Worry"? Good luck with your Demolition Derby 96` GMC. Hope you reach 300K mileage with it before you need to commit it to the salvage yard for a proper smelting. Cheers..By the way, I can see Cuba from my front porch!

right now, in So Cal at least, and Energi plug in C-max, has $3000 in rebates WITH 0% financing, theres also $4000 in tax incentives and an additional $1500 from the state, all said thast $8500 in incentives...kinda dulls the words "Paying a Premium" doesnt it?

Im most definitely NOT a liberal nutjob, and I have ovber 75000 miles on the bike....then again shes not a small un...still, averages 38mpgs and saves me over 1 1/2 hours of driving a day....I will put up with the heat, bugs etc etc to avoid the dreaded Orange Crush ( Orange County bumper to bumper )

I thought that Political Attacks were (not) going to tolerated and allowed in this "thread"? Moderator? "Quote" I`m (not) a Liberal Nutjob? I (am) a Liberal Progressive Yellow Dog Eastern Establishment Democrat with a Capital "D' got it? Just a quick, "Factoid". If it wasn`t for the original "Tea Party" held in Boston Harbor in the late 1700`s in the former Massachusetts Bay Colony, all of us would still have the Union Jack Flag flying overhead, and yes, even in the Red States of Dixie. So quit your bitching and distain for the intellectual liberal Eastern Establishment while you pinch a hunk of Skoal between your cheeks! Curious, what kind of (conservative nutjob) would you classify the likes of Sarah Palin, Michelle Bachmann, Todd Akin, Richard Murdoch, Blake Farenthold, Louie Gohmert, etc? This was (supposed) to be a Thread about Ford C-Max Hybrids, correct? Thanks "chevys", maybe its time for a Ford 150 or a Dodge Ram.