Another Crash Test - Pass

fordever

Ugh, where do I begin! If you read my introduction post, you will recall that I bought a 2014 Fusion Ti to replace my 2010 Fusion SEL that was totaled when I was rear ended on the interstate during an late season ice storm. That was back at the end of April that I took delivery of the new Fusion.

Last weekend, an allegedly drunk driver decided to cross the divided highway in front of me while I was traveling 55 MPH with my wife and two young boys in the back. It was 8 PM, and my auto-headlamps were on. I never saw his SUV (I think an older Jimmy or Bronco, possibly an old Ford Explorer) until he was across the median (He was on my left crossing to my right). I won't get into details of the accident, I hit his vehicle and then a pick up truck that was stopped at the same intersection waiting to cross the highway in the other direction. One of the officers thinks I was doing about 45 when we hit that stopped car.

I believe the Fusion saved our lives - every bag deployed. We ended up with severe seat belt mark, a few small scrapes, and that's it. The Fusion, plus some guardian angels kept us protected.

I've added three pictures of my 4 month old car that just rolled 10k.

Honestly, I think Fusion is out of my future, I know it's not logical, but sometimes the heart is a compass as well.

post-51920-0-83917900-1409965911_thumb.jpg

post-51920-0-90534900-1409965909_thumb.jpg

post-51920-0-94844700-1409965910_thumb.jpg

Wow, what an impact. You and your family are so lucky to have walked away with only minor injuries. As you said, a few short years ago, the outcome may not have been as great.

I don't blame you for not wanting another Fusion, truthfully. If I'd totaled two in a row, I'd probably want something different just for my sanity/ridding bad memories. Maybe a Mazda6? :)

I'm going to have to go through my car's paperwork. I had the BLIS system, and I think that defaulted to include the Rear Inflatable Seat Belts, but those did not deploy. Every other airbag in the car went off - side curtains, rear side curtains, driver's and passenger's knee bags, steering wheel, passenger dash. Odd.

Glad you & yours are all OK!

My 2013 Energi was totaled on 7/9 with a much less severe collision. I had to fight back and forth between both insurance companies trying to get what I felt to be a fair market value. I finally got that and was able to purchase a new 2014 Energi last week. I'm waiting now for transport of the car from MD to TX.

With regard to the rear inflatable seat belts, they are an add-on option since 2014 and not included in the Driver Assistance Package that BLIS is a part of. You'll have to check your window sticker to confirm if they were included. I'm guessing they weren't since every other safety bag deployed.

Glad you & yours are all OK!

My 2013 Energi was totaled on 7/9 with a much less severe collision. I had to fight back and forth between both insurance companies trying to get what I felt to be a fair market value. I finally got that and was able to purchase a new 2014 Energi last week. I'm waiting now for transport of the car from MD to TX.

With regard to the rear inflatable seat belts, they are an add-on option since 2014 and not included in the Driver Assistance Package that BLIS is a part of. You'll have to check your window sticker to confirm if they were included. I'm guessing they weren't since every other safety bag deployed.

Thanks! Sorry about yours and the fighting you had to do. I've got GAP so I don't have to haggle about fair market. I had ESS, and Ford Credit called me last night letting me know they have paperwork on the way for me to sign to roll that off the loan amount.

For the inflatable seat belts, my salesman did pull the paper work, and while they are an option, when you select the Drivers' Assist which includes BLIS, it automatically adds the inflatable belts, and it shows that way on my paperwork. So I'm going to get some pictures of the car and those seat belts and he will get it into the proper channels at Ford for their review. I'm sure they'll want all the telemetry from the computers as well. I'll sleep better knowing that Ford QA has looked at the events to see if there was just a single issue or if they need to look at something in the system.

That's what i thought. I had Gap (3rd party) but still ended up haggling with Geico for 3 months over $1000. It wasn't Geico per se but the company they use to value the vehicles and the fact it was a brand new vehicle (6 months old) and they only had one comp in the database.

The Gap insurance company said that Geico miscalculated the value based on a $1K rebate so they wouldn't cover it. They were right about it being incorrect but not about the reason. The problem was the comp in the database was an over the phone quote and they counted the $1K rebate twice. Their price was below dealer cost. I argued that I actually bought the exact same vehicle as the comp a week after the accident and to just use what I paid. By the time I escalated it to the right person in Geico the database had been updated and the recalculated it and it came out exactly what I was asking for.

That's what i thought. I had Gap (3rd party) but still ended up haggling with Geico for 3 months over $1000. It wasn't Geico per se but the company they use to value the vehicles and the fact it was a brand new vehicle (6 months old) and they only had one comp in the database.

The Gap insurance company said that Geico miscalculated the value based on a $1K rebate so they wouldn't cover it. They were right about it being incorrect but not about the reason. The problem was the comp in the database was an over the phone quote and they counted the $1K rebate twice. Their price was below dealer cost. I argued that I actually bought the exact same vehicle as the comp a week after the accident and to just use what I paid. By the time I escalated it to the right person in Geico the database had been updated and the recalculated it and it came out exactly what I was asking for.

Thanks for that info, I've never dealt with GAP before, so was hoping it wouldn't require me to play middle man. Hopefully my Adjustor can play that role - since I'm letting my insurance process the vehicle and then attempt to recoup from the other party.

That's what I thought, too. I wasn't prepared to have to fight with them. It probably depends on the companies involved. I can't really fault the Gap company because they were right but I thought they should have to work that with the insurance company but I was stuck in the middle.

Getting gap from your vehicle insurance company would probably mitigate that.

That's what I thought, too. I wasn't prepared to have to fight with them. It probably depends on the companies involved. I can't really fault the Gap company because they were right but I thought they should have to work that with the insurance company but I was stuck in the middle.

Getting gap from your vehicle insurance company would probably mitigate that.

Thanks again, I appreciate the insight. I'll prep up for having to deal with some of it - in the hopes that it doesn't come to that.

For the inflatable seat belts, my salesman did pull the paper work, and while they are an option, when you select the Drivers' Assist which includes BLIS, it automatically adds the inflatable belts, and it shows that way on my paperwork. So I'm going to get some pictures of the car and those seat belts and he will get it into the proper channels at Ford for their review. I'm sure they'll want all the telemetry from the computers as well. I'll sleep better knowing that Ford QA has looked at the events to see if there was just a single issue or if they need to look at something in the system.

Hmm, that's odd. We ordered the Blis and the rear inflatable was still an option. I did not add them. If you had them there is a thick band on the seat belts and a warning sticker on them about car seats.

Edited by Hydro

Yes, you all were correct, the inflatable rear seatbelts were optional, and not a part of the BLIS on the 2014 model. I just "confirmed" that with my salesman. It appears he can't read very well :(

On the side, we're all set to take delivery of a 2014 Explorer Limited, once the total loss paperwork is done and the old account closed.

Edited by fordever
  • Like 1