Detroit Auto Show

Saw this article in Autoblog and was wondering what else everyone is hearing about upcoming introductions at the show?

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/01/ford-shelby-gt350r-gt-f150-raptor-performance-brand-detroit-report/

While I love the idea of launching some high performance/niche models at the NAIAS ( I will always personally call it the Detroit auto show!) there is no volume from these products.

Is anyone hearing about a small CUV or Taurus replacement? The Fusion must be in store for a mild update in 2016 as well (following Focus/Fiesta time schedule)?

I heard that there were some new GT40 concepts running around MI (mules) so it is quite possible they may show a concept.

I saw something about a month ago near the Dearborn proving ground under heavy camo following what turned out to be a GT350 (it's pretty obvious in hindsight but I was traveling in the opposite direction and it hadnt been revealed yet) also under heavy camo. It was a similar wheelbase, maybe slightly longer and a little wider. The body was pretty low slung. I wish I could have gotten a better look and a pic or 2 but I was driving in the opposite direction. May have been a mule that came out of pilot

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

Pouring all the performance models into one show sounds kinda crazy but also kinda cool, would be really interesting if that's the route they take.

It's good timing if they're introducing a new performance brand (please don't let it be 999).

The timing is right for the GT350 and GT350R and Raptor since F150 and Mustang are new and LeMans 50th anniversary is next year.

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to buy what some random internet guy think I should buy.

Show me one case where anybody on this site has told you what you should buy. Didn't happen. That's your problem - you can't separate your personal buying decisions with business decisions.

Show me one case where anybody on this site has told you what you should buy. Didn't happen. That's your problem - you can't separate your personal buying decisions with business decisions.

So "business decisions" dictate my opinions? .

But now since we talking rwd and performance what's so wrong with an v6, ST Fusion and another body style for Fusion? or a Falcon, Rancho,a cuv and a Lincoln built off the Mustang platform? .

I know Ford have the talent, it's great that these performance vehicles are coming but I know Ford can do more at profit. I own an performance suv and a mid/large spot sedan, there's nothing Ford offers now that match what I have when it comes to trade-in.

So "business decisions" dictate my opinions? .

No, but you seem to think your opinions and personal preferences should be dictating Ford's business decisions as to what vehicles to build and when.

You say it's great that Cadillac is building a CTS-V coupe because you like it. We point out that if Cadillac continues to build those types of vehicles and ignores the more mainstream higher volume higher profit vehicles they'll lose money and either fold up shop or kill everything and start over. And if that happens you still don't get the vehicles you want.

OTOH - if they build vehicles the smart way and make profit then they can build the vehicles you want and stay in business. That's what Ford is doing but you seem incapable of understanding that.

No, but you seem to think your opinions and personal preferences should be dictating Ford's business decisions as to what vehicles to build and when.

You say it's great that Cadillac is building a CTS-V coupe because you like it. We point out that if Cadillac continues to build those types of vehicles and ignores the more mainstream higher volume higher profit vehicles they'll lose money and either fold up shop or kill everything and start over. And if that happens you still don't get the vehicles you want.

OTOH - if they build vehicles the smart way and make profit then they can build the vehicles you want and stay in business. That's what Ford is doing but you seem incapable of understanding that.

As I said multiple times as that can't get though your hard head is buyers may want and get the vehicle they want it's up to the manufacturer to figure that part out of making any vehicle at a profit. If the CTSV makes money for GM, great but no money, shame on them.

I did mention on the November GM sales thread GM needs work on their mainstream mid and large car lineup as it's all over the place with not many sales. It's not like I don't understand but I will state my opinions about what Ford should have.

As I said multiple times as that can't get though your hard head is buyers may want and get the vehicle they want it's up to the manufacturer to figure that part out of making any vehicle at a profit. If the CTSV makes money for GM, great but no money, shame on them.

You assume that every vehicle can be made and sold at a profit and that's just plain wrong. That type of thinking is what led to the G8, GTO, Solstice, Sky, XLR which were gigantic wastes of money for GM and should have never been built. That's why they were cancelled.

It's ok to be excited as a consumer when someone builds something you like and at the same time be critical of the business decision.