2015 F150 didn't win TOTY

More reason for Ford to expose it and refuse to participate...if you condone it,you agree with it.

You really think they are going to give it up? I'll eat my sock if a Ford vehicle is not a MT "OTY" winner within the next 5 years. Anyone care to wager against that?

I could see it happening IF the timing coincided with the launch of a new product and they were planning to do a big ad blitz anyway.

The timing on the F150 launch doesn't line up with the award. There would be no advantage to Ford to be advertising the 2015 F150 until the 2nd plant is online and up to speed next Spring or Summer.

You really think they are going to give it up? I'll eat my sock if a Ford vehicle is not a MT "OTY" winner within the next 5 years. Anyone care to wager against that?

If they weren't going to buy a TOTY award for the 2015 F150--or a COTY for the 2015 Mustang, I don't think they're going to buy anymore of these awards.

Edited to add: They might end up with an award in some year when the competition is really thin, and it can be had dirt cheap.

Edited by RichardJensen

If they weren't going to buy a TOTY award for the 2015 F150--or a COTY for the 2015 Mustang, I don't think they're going to buy anymore of these awards.

Timing wasn't right for F150 but it would have been for Mustang especially with the GT350 announcement. They might change their minds in a couple of years.

Timing wasn't right for F150 but it would have been for Mustang especially with the GT350 announcement. They might change their minds in a couple of years.

I disagree emphatically regarding timing.

Ford wouldn't be buying the award for a bump in buzz around the end of 2014, they'd be buying the award to use it in ads all the way through 2015, and there will be high availability of the F150 for much of 2015.

Essentially, I read Ford's refusal to buy the award to be a vote of no-confidence in the award's value to even the most conservative vehicle buyers.

Edited by RichardJensen

The most important vehicle of Ford Motor Company losing to GM on a remake of Colorado...helps Ford's bottom line how exactly?

It doesn't hurt it.

Look, the people who are going to crow over this are going to be Chevy fans who would never buy a Ford.

Pretty much nobody actually reads the magazine articles.

And whenever Chevy runs a commercial that mentions the F150, it's free advertising (that's why Ford almost never mentions their competitors in F150 ads).

*You* might hear "The new Chevrolet Colorado recently beat out the Ford F150 in Motor Trend's truck of the year"

Joe customer hears, "blah blah blah Chevrolet blah blah blah Ford blah blah blah blah"

Again, I can't stress this enough, the number of people who make buying decisions based on who loses the _OTY awards are vanishingly small.

I disagree emphatically regarding timing.

They would be expected to start advertising the award now with nothing to actually sell and lower than normal volumes for the next several months. That advertising would be wasted. so I disagree emphatically with your emphatic disagreement.

I understand your point,however if it is so small and insignificant, why participate? Blow it up. It just takes one big manufacturer to pull out...why induldge them and give them such an over-rated platform? 2 of among the most important vehicles in Ford's portfolio were basicly blown off by a bunch of shakedown artists in a dying media...Blow them up.

They would be expected to start advertising the award now

Not necessarily. If Ford commits to, say $200M in media buys advertising the TOTY award (and I think that's a conservative estimate of Ford's F-series ad buy in the US), then I don't think MT is going to be all that insistent that Ford advertise right away.

I understand your point,however if it is so small and insignificant, why participate? Blow it up. It just takes one big manufacturer to pull out...why induldge them and give them such an over-rated platform? 2 of among the most important vehicles in Ford's portfolio were basicly blown off by a bunch of shakedown artists in a dying media...Blow them up.

Why participate?

2 reasons:

1 - Because it costs money not to participate

2 - Because you don't burn bridges.

---

If Ford went on some stupid crusade against these media awards, they would look every bit as foolish as Elon Musk with his dippy crusade against state franchise laws.

State franchise laws do not harm his business, but he doesn't like them, so he's going to spend a fortune in stockholder funds fighting court battles and lobbying legislatures to change something that makes no material difference in how he does business.

That's what Ford's campaign against media awards would look like: a sour, vindictive and obtuse guy waging a private war over something that in the long run doesn't matter.

If they are dying, then let that process continue naturally. Then, when they do die, no one can say, "Big, bad Ford killed them."

State franchise laws do not harm his business, but he doesn't like them, so he's going to spend a fortune in stockholder funds fighting court battles and lobbying legislatures to change something that makes no material difference in how he does business.

You don't think it makes a difference whether Tesla owns the dealership and 100% controls the buying experience, service and maintenance or if they have to franchise it out to a 3rd party independent business?

Awards don't sell vehicles.

GM has been running ads crowing about how Chebbies have been winning all these awards, and the ads prominently feature the Silverado and Malibu (or is it the Impala?), which are being curb-stomped by the (outgoing!) F150 and Fusion, respectively.

Tell me again, how are awards going to help sales?

Edited by SoonerLS

You don't think it makes a difference whether Tesla owns the dealership and 100% controls the buying experience, service and maintenance or if they have to franchise it out to a 3rd party independent business?

No.

Because they can effectively control 100% of the buyer experience by means of a franchise contract.

It doesn't hurt it.

Look, the people who are going to crow over this are going to be Chevy fans who would never buy a Ford.

Pretty much nobody actually reads the magazine articles.

And whenever Chevy runs a commercial that mentions the F150, it's free advertising (that's why Ford almost never mentions their competitors in F150 ads).

*You* might hear "The new Chevrolet Colorado recently beat out the Ford F150 in Motor Trend's truck of the year"

Joe customer hears, "blah blah blah Chevrolet blah blah blah Ford blah blah blah blah"

Again, I can't stress this enough, the number of people who make buying decisions based on who loses the _OTY awards are vanishingly small.

Actually, I think Joe customer is going to hear the commercial and change his mind to buying a Colorado instead of the Silverado he originally intended to buy. oops.

• Like 1