Ford Quality - 2015 Mustang GT with Bad Paint and Transmission at 244 miles!

15mustang

AND I would report this dealer to their zone office also.

It has been done :) Ford has made them aware and they have responded to the complaint.

I learned a valuable lesson here: A dash cam is well worth the investment! :)

-- Ford would not "want" the original dealer to fix the transmission if they damaged it. It would be nearly impossible to *prove* that the first dealer damaged the transmission, which means Ford would have to pay for the repairs in any case, and in such an event, arguably, they would *not* want a dealer that damaged a part to receive payment for fixing it, as this could lead to dealers generating warranty work by damaging parts during routine service.

I agree with this 100%. I am taking it to a different dealership for repairs, wish me luck guys ! :) I am still waiting to hear from Ford.

• 3 weeks later...

LMAO

Take it to another dealership.

Where have I heard that before? Oh wait, it was here. lol And what a surprise, it didn't work, again.

I especially liked how Richard implied the guy might be telling a big lie about the whole thing. Nicely done. Typical BON.

LMAO

Where have I heard that before? Oh wait, it was here. lol And what a surprise, it didn't work, again.

I especially liked how Richard implied the guy might be telling a big lie about the whole thing. Nicely done. Typical BON.

Wut?

Your post is #54. The original poster's last update is #52. It says this:

"I agree with this 100%. I am taking it to a different dealership for repairs, wish me luck guys ! :) I am still waiting to hear from Ford."

Here are my posts in this thread:

Sounds like you've got a major issue..............

.....................with the dealer.

---

I would immediately take your Mustang to another dealer------preferably one that's been certified by Ford to work on the aluminum F150-------and let them work on the vehicle. Both items should be warranty repairs.

(why a Ford dealership certified to work on aluminum F150s? Because that's probably your best way of locating a competent body shop)

Yep. Find a dealership that has both the means and the willingness to invest in their business.

Two thoughts:

- 1 - the original dealer hasn't dealt with the transmission issue, so that's not an existing warranty repair

- 2 - the warranty repair done under the oversight of the other dealer is an obviously defective repair

I don't think he should have an issue in this instance.

Disagree on various fronts:

-- Ford may not have paid the first dealer, and even if they have, they have the means and the ability to recapture payments made for shoddy/defective work.

-- Ford would not "want" the original dealer to fix the transmission if they damaged it. It would be nearly impossible to *prove* that the first dealer damaged the transmission, which means Ford would have to pay for the repairs in any case, and in such an event, arguably, they would *not* want a dealer that damaged a part to receive payment for fixing it, as this could lead to dealers generating warranty work by damaging parts during routine service.

-- A dealer wouldn't sue Ford over a minor paint job that was clearly done poorly, and even if they were so inclined I'm almost 100% certain that Ford and its dealers are required to pursue arbitration before suing, and I can't imagine that any arbitrator would require that Ford allow a dealer that *does not have a body shop* the opportunity to repair defective body work.

Generally, it's easier for Ford to require the original dealer to make things right, but they can opt to have another dealer handle the repair and recapture the costs.

You might be thinking of the monthly debit/credit that Ford does with the dealer's bank account.

To the best of my recollection, Ford settles accounts with franchises on a monthly basis. This is accompanied by a rather complex sheet that notes out debits and credits. In this instance, Ford would probably credit the dealer's account the amount of the warranty repair.

If the repair work is subsequently judged insufficient and additional work is performed by another dealer, Ford can debit the original dealer's account by that amount and credit it to the other dealer.

Part of me is deeply suspicious of this arrangement. A shoddy repair job by a third party paid for by Ford just screams "kickback" to me. Ford pays the dealer $300, the body shop charges $100 for a thoroughly rotten job, and guys at the dealership and body shop split the overage.

I mean, about the only satisfaction in all this is that if these guys are running kickbacks someone's going to feel the pinch on this one.

It'd help if you could get someone at a different dealer to lobby Ford for approval to do the work, but you'd probably need a prior relationship to get that dealer to go to bat for you.

Typically, I think you would want the problems addressed with something like an ESP thrown in as a compensation for inconvenience and peace-of-mind.

But right now, if I were this guy--and assuming we're getting a straight account of things--a primary issue is one of trust: When you drop off a car for a minor repair and not only is the minor repair performed in a shoddy manner, the vehicle comes back with an apparent transmission problem.

In that case, I don't know what you tell the general manager/dealer principal.

Ugh. That's a bad idea. Going back to my good ol' customer service days, getting a replacement vehicle (or computer system, at the old job) almost always takes more time and is less convenient than having your defective/damaged product serviced.

Especially when this problem appears to consist of a bad paint job and some transmission issue--I'm thinking you'd be without the car for like three days, maybe four at a competent dealer. With a free loaner. Compare that with the weeks it would take you to get a new '15 Mustang equipped to match the one you just sold back to the dealer.

Latching on to one caveat to accuse me of implying that the guy is lying.

LOL. Typical BlackHorse

• Like 1

LMAO

Look who crawled back out from under his bridge.

Typical worthless post.

Time to go back under the bridge. :confused:

Some updates since last post:

Update 3/9: Test drove a brand new 2015 Mustang GT Manual at Autonation Ford Jacksonville where I video-recorded and confirmed that a new Mustang GT manual does NOT exhibit the same shift problem.

Update 3/12: No resolution reached despite dozens of phone calls to Ford and dealerships. Still have serious transmission problems with 4th gear.

Update 3/14: For additional confirmation, took it to an independent transmission repair shop 3/14 with 996 miles on it where the mechanic felt a transmission problem exists.

Update 3/17: Having trouble getting Ford dealerships to acknowledge transmission problem in writing (they don't seem to want to be involved).

Update 3/19: Unable to get transmission fixed at all (neither rebuild or new) up to this point. Stuck.

Edited by 15mustang

Update?

Transmission still has serious problems! Now more of a rattle/vibrate/grind. I've been driving a manual since I was 18, and have owned four manual transmission cars. At the point where I am just going to leave it at the dealership and tell them I want it fixed without excuses. Dealerships don't seem to want to be involved or 'get in the middle of things'.

About to put car up for sale. Maybe you'll see it on Autotrader or Ebay.

Generally, it's easier for Ford to require the original dealer to make things right, but they can opt to have another dealer handle the repair and recapture the costs.

Good luck getting another dealer to get involved in a warranty repair already done and paid to another dealer. You need to get Ford involved and have them send you and the car to another dealer.

Yup, I may have to take it back to Bozard Ford (whom had it when transmission developed problems) to get it fixed. This is still dragging on!

Here's a suggestion:

The transmission shop that confirmed the issue?

See if you can get them to write it up on a repair order/sign it.

Call the dealership, schedule an appointment with the general manager.

Take the repair order in, be professional but firm. Tell him that the vehicle has an issue. Tell him that if his mechanics cannot identify it, then you have the name and number of a mechanic who can. Tell him that you want his dealership to fix it. And let him know that you plan on leaving the keys there that day. Tell him that you want an extended warranty.

Pick a strategy and follow through with it until you've exhausted it. That way if it doesn't work, you can layout an organized, methodical course of action, "I did this, because that did not work, I did this, because that did not work, I did this...."

If none of this works, don't call Ford, call your state's consumer protection agency. Tell them that you have an externally verified transmission issue that your selling dealer will not acknowledge or resolve. The state AG can make life a lot more unpleasant for this dealer than Ford can.

And as irritating as all this is, you've got to be patient. The biggest weapon this service department has at its disposal is that they flat out don't care. If you let their irresponsibility make your life miserable, they win, because eventually you'll give up in order to not be miserable.

Edited by RichardJensen

Here's a suggestion:

The transmission shop that confirmed the issue?

See if you can get them to write it up on a repair order/sign it.

Call the dealership, schedule an appointment with the general manager.

Take the repair order in, be professional but firm. Tell him that the vehicle has an issue. Tell him that if his mechanics cannot identify it, then you have the name and number of a mechanic who can. Tell him that you want his dealership to fix it. And let him know that you plan on leaving the keys there that day. Tell him that you want an extended warranty.

Pick a strategy and follow through with it until you've exhausted it. That way if it doesn't work, you can layout an organized, methodical course of action, "I did this, because that did not work, I did this, because that did not work, I did this...."

If none of this works, don't call Ford, call your state's consumer protection agency. Tell them that you have an externally verified transmission issue that your selling dealer will not acknowledge or resolve. The state AG can make life a lot more unpleasant for this dealer than Ford can.

And as irritating as all this is, you've got to be patient. The biggest weapon this service department has at its disposal is that they flat out don't care. If you let their irresponsibility make your life miserable, they win, because eventually you'll give up in order to not be miserable.

Thanks for the advice! :) Working on getting repair estimate in writing. I am going to take it to another independent repair shop also for more confirmation. Everytime I shift into 4th gear and it rattles/vibrates (it's extra "crunchy"!) it is beyond irritating. 4th gear has some serious problems, and as a result I don't want to drive the car anymore.

Will contact consumer affairs next. I need to formalize my game plan more :)

Edited by 15mustang

I requested transmission fluid be changed to check for metal deposits etc, but could not get authorization/approval. Anyone know why?

Without taking anything away from you, in terms of what has been an obviously negative experience, that smacks, a bit, of trying to tell the service techs how to do their job.

Also, it's unnecessary. An independent mechanic has confirmed your problem.

With that diagnosis you can put the dealership in a situation where they have only two choices-----

Option A:

- Resolve this independently diagnosed issue to my entirely reasonable expectations

Option B:

- Deal with the Florida Attorney General after I file a consumer protection complaint. Explain clearly and calmly that you will be filing a complaint based on Failure to Honor Warranty. The dealership manager needs to know that you know your rights, and that you are not going to just call the Florida AG and bellyache.

-----

Also: Do not file a complaint w/consumer affairs unless the dealership refuses to cooperate. If you file a complaint before exhausting your options at the dealership, the consumer protection people won't have much to stand on, and the dealership won't have much incentive to cooperate.

Without taking anything away from you, in terms of what has been an obviously negative experience, that smacks, a bit, of trying to tell the service techs how to do their job.

Also, it's unnecessary. An independent mechanic has confirmed your problem.

With that diagnosis you can put the dealership in a situation where they have only two choices-----

Option A:

- Resolve this independently diagnosed issue to my entirely reasonable expectations

Option B:

- Deal with the Florida Attorney General after I file a consumer protection complaint. Explain clearly and calmly that you will be filing a complaint based on Failure to Honor Warranty. The dealership manager needs to know that you know your rights, and that you are not going to just call the Florida AG and bellyache.

-----

Also: Do not file a complaint w/consumer affairs unless the dealership refuses to cooperate. If you file a complaint before exhausting your options at the dealership, the consumer protection people won't have much to stand on, and the dealership won't have much incentive to cooperate.

I want to thank you for the help very much!!

Update 3/20: Seems like more dealership run-around and denials etc...

Update 3/24: Another independent repair shop drives car 3/24 and mechanic said there def. is a problem with transmission. Believed to be bad syncros. *Though, a Ford dealership still has NOT given me anything in writing that lists a problem they could find with transmission.*

**My terrible experience is now on websites and forums. I will try to include latest updates on my video appeal to Ford below**

Edited by 15mustang

I truly don't understand why this transmission problem is such an issue to be acknowledged and fixed. Either your dealer is really sorry, or you are not talking to the right person. Have you called Ford customer service and started what Ford calls a CUDL contact? Basically it starts a log of communication via FCSD. Did you take it to another dealer? Other than the paint issues, the trans problem should be no problem if things are as you say.

Video appeal to Ford doesn't work.

If you have an independently diagnosed issue that the dealership refuses to acknowledge, then you need to inform them that they will be the subject of a complaint to the Florida AG's office.

You should also contact Ford and let them know that you have an independently diagnosed transmission issue and that you will be filing a complaint with the Florida AG's office unless Ford authorizes another dealership to work on the transmission.

The bottom line is this:

Your leverage is not complaining on the internet, it is not filling up various forums with details of your issues, it is not making videos about your problems.

Your leverage is consumer protection laws. Use it.

• Like 1

Might be time to secure legal council.

I disagree. The issue at this point can be resolved by a routine transmission inspection and repair.

Hiring some lawyer to sue entities with significantly deeper pockets (Ford and the dealership) is throwing good money after bad.

And the last thing this guy needs to do is add another wrinkle to his strategy for seeking a resolution.

You've got ample leverage with state consumer protection laws. Use it.

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

If you have an independently diagnosed issue that the dealership refuses to acknowledge, then you need to inform them that they will be the subject of a complaint to the Florida AG's office.

You should also contact Ford and let them know that you have an independently diagnosed transmission issue and that you will be filing a complaint with the Florida AG's office unless Ford authorizes another dealership to work on the transmission.

The bottom line is this:

Your leverage is not complaining on the internet, it is not filling up various forums with details of your issues, it is not making videos about your problems.

I agree! I will contact them. I really hope sharing my experience will help other owners (please consider a dashcam)! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Update 4/13: I am deciding if I should bring my Mustang in to a Ford dealership again (or move to plan B). Two independent repair shops already confirmed the transmission problem, so one would think a Ford dealership will eventually acknowledge the transmission problem too in writing and fix it (or maybe they never will). I will post updates to help everyone. Thanks for all your responses and support guys!

The bottom line is this:

Thanks!! This is among the best advice I have gotten, next action up! :)

Edited by 15mustang

The bottom line is this:

I agree! I will contact them. I really hope sharing my experience will help other owners (please consider a dashcam)! :)

Thanks!! This is among the best advice I have gotten, next action up! :)

So...when are you going to do it?? You've acknowledged Richard's advise twice and thanked him once but over the last few weeks, you have done....nothing yet? Other than have two other independent shops allegedly diagnose your transmission woes...how much did they charge for this diagnosis? Did they open the transmission up to have a look inside to inspect the alleged damage?

I am sorry....I find your story harder and harder to believe....

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1