MAP C-crew getting canned?

fuzzymoomoo

Is there any legal notice of layoff in Mich.? I know that laws vary in different jurisdictions, but when we lost a shift in Ontario the bottom 1100 people had to have 16 WEEKS notice. No one got laid off because of retirements and buy outs. When the plant finally closed the notice had to be given again, the full 16 weeks. This notice varies with the number of people affected, from 8 weeks for 50 people to 16 weeks for 500 or more. This only applies to permanent lay offs not the regular ups and downs of the auto industry.

C Crew has to be notified today April 20th in order for the company to eliminate the shift by June 19th.

C crew is getting layed off due to attendance, no other plants wants them cause they need double the man power to ensure they have enough people to run the shift, Those with good attendance will be offered to transfer, those with out. Good bye. Oh yea, Those who think, I better start showing up, A bit late for that don't ya think.

Trailfndr nail it above and no commets on his input.

Edited by niteeyes
  • Like 1

C crew is getting layed off due to attendance, no other plants wants them cause they need double the man power to ensure they have enough people to run the shift, Those with good attendance will be offered to transfer, those with out. Good bye. Oh yea, Those who think, I better start showing up, A bit late for that don't ya think.

U say it's due to attendance and others say it due to poor sales

Is the junior 500 people all on C crew? Or will the senior people get moved to A or B and some be laid off from these shifts?

• Like 1

attendance will be the deciding factor, not seniority, with full union backing. They want employees willing to come to work everyday. Sales may be slowing down on the Focus but other products are selling well, those plants don't want our problem employees, but will take those who show a real work ethic, mainly showing up and putting in a days work.

I literally just overheard Scott Elliot tell someone that the company is saying they have until Wednesday to formally announce it.

Correct me if I'm wrong: If shutdown begins Monday, June 22, C-crew will finish their "work week" that day, yes? If the company has to give 60 days notice, that deadline would be Wednesday or Thursday. Where in the contract does it say they have to give 60 days notice? I've never heard that.

Correct me if I'm wrong: If shutdown begins Monday, June 22, C-crew will finish their "work week" that day, yes? If the company has to give 60 days notice, that deadline would be Wednesday or Thursday. Where in the contract does it say they have to give 60 days notice? I've never heard that.

Our "work week" ends Monday, but the pay period ends Sunday. Out last day is supposed to be June 21.

The 60 day notice thing isn't a union thing, it's state law

Our "work week" ends Monday, but the pay period ends Sunday. Out last day is supposed to be June 21.

OK, thanks for the info. So Wednesday would be the deadline. I was laid off in the late 70s. Best advice I can give is sock away as much money as you can right now and eliminate ANY extras. That's rough, I truly hope it works out ok for you guys. Trust me, there are a lot of us that feel for you all.

Cap is losing the MKS and Taurus. They will both be moving to the Fusion Chassis. MKS will be the New Lincoln Continental which wont be built at CAP. As for the Taurus who knows. The police Taurus will still be built there. The Explorer will need to keep selling like hotcakes for CAP to keep 3 shifts.

You are spot on with all of it.

Edited by Redwings_rule
  • Like 1

Do employers have to give notice of impending layoffs?

Employers are legally required to give employees notice if the layoff will involve a large number of employees or the closing of a plant. The federal WARN Act requires employers with at least 100 employees to give 60 days' notice before a plant closing or mass layoff. If the employer doesn't give the required notice, and doesn't fit into an exception to the law's requirements, employees may be entitled to pay in lieu of notice. See Nolo's article Layoffs and Plant Closings: Know Your Rights for more information.

I'm more mad at the company for dropping a bomb like this and not having any sort of additional info to pass along

I don't want to sound like an apologist but I really believe that if they know what the plan is, we would be told something

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

I'm more mad at the company for dropping a bomb like this and not having any sort of additional info to pass along

I don't want to sound like an apologist but I really believe that if they know what the plan is, we would be told something

I don't know anymore now Monday night then i did Tuesday morning when i found out and i found out by word of mouth NOT THE UNION

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

There are some sick people in this company that get off on spreading false rumors. Rumors that cause lower seniority to have more stress in their lives than they need or deserve. Don't give them the satisfaction of seeing you sweat.

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

There are some sick people in this company that get off on spreading false rumors. Rumors that cause lower seniority to have more stress in their lives than they need or deserve. Don't give them the satisfaction of seeing you sweat.

Very well said my brother!! To add to this, this was all something that was rumored to be happening, not a definite thing and the union has always said this from day 1 of this talk. So if your tier 2 takev"Pioneers" advice,and I'll add the longer this drags out the more likely hood of it not being true.