Shanghai 2015: Jiangling Ford introduces new Toureno (Tourneo Custom)

Another new Ford product added to the expanding Ford line up in in China. This is in addition to the 3rd and 4th generation RWD Transit that Jiangling Ford already sells in China.

The local production of FWD Ford Tourneo Custom will give Ford a foothold in the rapidly expanding upscale business van market in China. Local production will begin in 2016 and the initial engine choice is limited to 2.0 Ecoboost. Although I suspect diesel will be added soon there after.

620x0_1_2015042012483834379.JPG

y_201504201248344128112.jpg

y_201504201248334718110.jpg

y_201504201248326278110.jpg

y_201504201248259748112.jpg

I saw a Family driving a full sized Transit wagon yesterday. there is that demographic where minivans are simply not enough, and people don't feel like they have to be an a-hole and buy a Tahoe.

Meanwhile people are driving Minis, Fiats and Fiestas and wondering why a-holes like you drive a Focus.

See how that works?

Meanwhile people are driving Minis, Fiats and Fiestas and wondering why a-holes like you drive a Focus.

See how that works?

I see you took that in different direction than I intended. ;)

up until the transit there wasn't an "appropriate" or "modern" option for large families other than buying a Tahoe or Suburban.

Can you imagine a former minivan buyers who needs larger vehicle moving from a modern comfortable Minivan into the 1970s era Full sized van like the E-series? I'd imagine they would move into a modern full sized SUV like the Tahoe.

Where's is my Bluetooth, rear seat entertainment, why are there so many place for my child to lose a finger.

The Transit offers creature comforts absent from the Full size segment, if you brought over the FWD transit as Tweener with a EB2.3 standard you will see buyers migrate to it, because it offers more utility than a traditional minivan and less bulk than a traditional full sized Van.

I see you took that in different direction than I intended. ;)

up until the transit there wasn't an "appropriate" or "modern" option for large families other than buying a Tahoe or Suburban.

Can you imagine a former minivan buyers who needs larger vehicle moving from a modern comfortable Minivan into the 1970s era Full sized van like the E-series? I'd imagine they would move into a modern full sized SUV like the Tahoe.

Where's is my Bluetooth, rear seat entertainment, why are there so many place for my child to lose a finger.

The Transit offers creature comforts absent from the Full size segment, if you brought over the FWD transit as Tweener with a EB2.3 standard you will see buyers migrate to it, because it offers more utility than a traditional minivan and less bulk than a traditional full sized Van.

That's no excuse to call Tahoe buyers A-holes.

That's no excuse to call Tahoe buyers A-holes.

It was more directed at the demographic who lean towards a practical vehicle like minivans, and the lack of options when you Family outgrows a minivan.

We seem to have consensus here that "Normal buyers" don't buy minivans or wagons and those that do don't fit the mold of "the majority " of buyers, yet we don't allow for those buyers who for numerous reasons HATE CUVs and SUVs. To reinforce the "perception" that people don't like wagons or minvans it is often OK to use offensive language to describe people that do.

That being Said, I apologize if my comments offended you, that was not my intent.

Well, the site says SWB: 104.8" LWB: 120.6", which is quite a stretch. :)

It is a true white space product, even though people say the TC wagon is over priced people love it's utility and how easy it is to drive.

A box on wheels, it is.

the FWD transit is a 50% larger box that Seat 8-9 passengers and up to anAdditonal 67 cu/ft behind the 3rd row.

FordTourneoCustom_7.jpg

Ford-Tourneo_Custom_2013_1600x1200_wallp

10_Ford_Tourneo_Custom__10.jpg

http://www.ford.co.uk/cs/BlobServer?blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobcol=urldata&blobheadervalue1=attachment%3Bfilename%3D%22Tourneo+Custom.pdf%22&blobheadervalue2=abinary%3Bcharset%3DUTF-8&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=MDT-Type&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobwhere=1214466860676&blobkey=id

It was more directed at the demographic who lean towards a practical vehicle like minivans, and the lack of options when you Family outgrows a minivan

Fair enough, but let's put that demographic as, say, a family w/4 kids.

The percentage of families that large is so small that the Census bureau doesn't even break it out separately in their standard family size tables:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0064.pdf

Let's say that the number of 4 child/2 parent households is 4% of all families (which seems quite generous, given that only 9% of all households have 3 or more), and less than 3% (2.7%) of all households.

---

So while, yes, it's good that Ford's able to offer a competitive product to the even smaller subset of that small subset that is purchasing new cars and does not want full size SUVs, one should avoid overstating the size of that market

I don't recall any disparaging comments towards anyone who says they prefer wagons or manuals or diesels. We simply point out that those people are in the minority and therefore it's harder for a mfr to justify new products in some of those spaces. That's just a simple business fact that applies to all products.

On the other side you have people who constantly disparage folks who prefer crossovers and utilities because they believe those people are preventing them from getting the wagons that they prefer (in their mind).

Is it better for consumers to have more choices? Of course! Does it make business sense for the mfr? Depends. Way too many variables that have to be taken into account. It might make perfect sense for one mfr and not at all for another depending on their customer base, potential sales and cost to implement.

RichardJensen, on 24 Apr 2015 - 12:34 PM, said:

Fair enough, but let's put that demographic as, say, a family w/4 kids.

The percentage of families that large is so small that the Census bureau doesn't even break it out separately in their standard family size tables:

http://www.census.gov/compendia/statab/2012/tables/12s0064.pdf

Let's say that the number of 4 child/2 parent households is 4% of all families (which seems quite generous, given that only 9% of all households have 3 or more), and less than 3% (2.7%) of all households.

---

So while, yes, it's good that Ford's able to offer a competitive product to the even smaller subset of that small subset that is purchasing new cars and does not want full size SUVs, one should avoid overstating the size of that market

there is more ifnormation here

http://factfinder.census.gov/faces/tableservices/jsf/pages/productview.xhtml?pid=ACS_13_5YR_B11016&prodType=table

according to the US census

9.88% of Us households are 5 or more persons.

3.8% are in 6 or more person per household.

2014 Ford Vehicle sales as a precentage of US sale.

FORD % of US sales Fiesta 0.3830% Focus 1.3311% C-MAX 0.1672% Fusion 1.8598% Taurus 0.3175% Interceptor Sedan 0.0620% Mustang 0.5008% Escape 1.8558% Edge 0.6598% Flex 0.1444% Explorer 1.1475% Interceptor utility 0.1252% Expedition 0.2705% F-Series 4.5688% E-Series 0.6258% Transit 0.1239% Transit Connect 0.2619%

IF Family size were a direct indicator of the potential market of the Transit custom, you would see that 8% is a good number to start from and even 4% of US households is not bad either For a multipurpose vehicle that is a variant of an existing product.