Ford Motor Company 2015 Q1 Results

Are the Jeep SUVs BOF?

Why are you still insisting that the 'only' Bronco configuration is "midsize BOF"

So we're getting a Ford Grande Cherokee (i.e. midsize unibody rwd with low range 4wd)? While I doubt the market will be able to differentiate it from Explorer, that's a lot better than some of the other options you've been hinting at. I don't know why Ford would want to compromise off road capability with a unibody though. It just makes aftermarket modifications such as axle swaps that much harder. Its the primary reason the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee never had the off road credentials the Wranger does.

The Wrangler is BOF. Thats the only Jeep that matters in this comparison. Ford already makes something equivalent to everything else in Jeeps lineup.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

And you fail to comprehend that Escape and Edge already both reside in that hole and offer "4wd". So unless the new Bronco is a truck based SUV, I don't see how there's any space left to fill between Explorer and tiny. Another awd car based offering is going to be redundant with Escape, Edge or both.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

And you fail to comprehend that Escape and Edge already both reside in that hole and offer "4wd". So unless the new Bronco is a truck based SUV, I don't see how there's any space left to fill between Explorer and tiny. Another awd car based offering is going to be redundant with Escape, Edge or both.

See, there you go again.

You've created this arbitrary matrix, wherein the only differentiators are size and "CUV/SUV", and then you've again arbitrarily limited the SUV configuration to "BOF/truck-based".

See, there you go again.

You've created this arbitrary matrix, wherein the only differentiators are size and "CUV/SUV", and then you've again arbitrarily limited the SUV configuration to "BOF/truck-based".

You mean the matrix that already exists in Ford's lineup? Unfortunately for the marketing folks, it eventually comes down to nuts and bolts and the resulting product will be one or the other. Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Either truck-derived BOF or FWD CUV?

There are a laundry list of utilities that do not meet either of those criteria.

Name them and I'll tell you which category it's in.

I can't think of one, actually. There is stuff like the Jeep Grand Cherokee (rwd, unibody, real 4wd with low range) but those pretty much fit in the truck based category. The unibody is a bit odd but they have frame-ish parts where required underneath. Ultimately though it just detracts from aftermarket upgradeability which is important if Ford is serious about competing in the hard core off road market. If Ford wants to sell another people hauler for primarily on road use with the ability to spin all 4 wheels, I don't know why they'd call it Bronco.

Finally, since you're mister business case, have previously hinted at something a little smaller than Explorer, and now seem to be indicating that it won't be just another crossover, explain how it makes sense to design and build a one-off unibody platform with real off road capability for the new Bronco when Ford already has the design and parts supply for T6 which happens to be the perfect size....

Finally, since you're mister business case, have previously hinted at something a little smaller than Explorer, and now seem to be indicating that it won't be just another crossover, explain how it makes sense to design and build a one-off unibody platform with real off road capability for the new Bronco when Ford already has the design and parts supply for T6 which happens to be the perfect size....

...and likely doesn't meet US safety and crash standards whereas other said platform (which, neither you nor I know exactly what it is) likely does.

My admittedly tenuous understanding of the situation is that the Troller T4, seen above, is not the immediate predecessor to the Bronco.

My--again, tenuous--understanding is that a team in Dearborn is developing the Bronco off the Troller platform---think D3 from P2, or CD3 from Mazda6.

Interesting. Very interesting. Time will tell I guess.

FWIW, the current T4 comes with Dana solid axles front and rear, the 3.2 duratorq, and a 6 speed manual. Sounds like the T6 ranger drivetrain?

Obviously there will be substantial changes by the time it sees American pavement but clearly this would fall in the "BOF/truck based" category.

Even if it's not based on T6, despite sharing a drivetrain, the last 2 pages of arguing look pretty pointless as this fits into my original analysis exactly since it's midsize with real 4wd equipment underneath.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv