Former Premier Group

that could last them another 20 years

Past experience does not support this conclusion. If you will, look no farther than the XJ400. It ran from '87 to '03. Tell me how well Jaguar XJs were selling in 2003.

I might also draw attention to your use of SpaceX, and point out that unlike SpaceX, Boeing is profitable. I might also mention that SpaceX 'inherited' a lot of R&D from NASA and thus, indirectly, from Boeing (etc.)

With respect to your observation that the Tundra is profitable, I would ask whether the Tundra has banked enough profits to pay for wholesale conversion to aluminum--and since it almost certainly hasn't, then the money that Toyota spends to convert it to aluminum effectively wipes out all of its previously booked profits, give or take.

And, finally, I think your conclusions regarding the sagacity of VW's management are not supported by a review of the company's financials, as I've detailed elsewhere.

Edited by RichardJensen

Past experience does not support this conclusion. If you will, look no farther than the XJ400. It ran from '87 to '03. Tell me how well Jaguar XJs were selling in 2003.

I Said platform Not product.

the XJ was a product, and it architecture doesn't represent what is possible with today's technology.

I might also draw attention to your use of SpaceX, and point out that unlike SpaceX, Boeing is profitable. I might also mention that SpaceX 'inherited' a lot of R&D from NASA and thus, indirectly, from Boeing (etc.)

is Boeing's Space launch division profitable?

With respect to your observation that the Tundra is profitable, I would ask whether the Tundra has banked enough profits to pay for wholesale conversion to aluminum--and since it almost certainly hasn't, then the money that Toyota spends to convert it to aluminum effectively wipes out all of its previously booked profits, give or take.

Does Toyota need to invest in aluminum Pick up truck?

Is is logical to assume if they did that investment would be repaid over the products lifecyle?

And, finally, I think your conclusions regarding the sagacity of VW's management are not supported by a review of the company's financials, as I've detailed elsewhere.

I was Very specific in my focus on VW's manufacturing, not mentioning their financials.

BTW VW is more profitable than Ford and GM combined.

Skyrocketing sales in China are helping Germany's Volkswagen Groupsteal a lead over its other global automaker rivals, chief executive Martin Winterkorn told CNBC.

Global sales topped 10.2 million vehicles in 2014, helping reach record operating profits of about 17.9 billion euros ($19 billion), which included an estimated 5.2 billion euros contribution with FAW in China. Net profit for the year came 10.9 billion euros, up 19.6 percent on the year before.

I was Very specific in my focus on VW's manufacturing, not mentioning their financials.

BTW VW is more profitable than Ford and GM combined.

Skyrocketing sales in China are helping Germany's Volkswagen Groupsteal a lead over its other global automaker rivals, chief executive Martin Winterkorn told CNBC.

Global sales topped 10.2 million vehicles in 2014, helping reach record operating profits of about 17.9 billion euros ($19 billion), which included an estimated 5.2 billion euros contribution with FAW in China. Net profit for the year came 10.9 billion euros, up 19.6 percent on the year before.

Are they lying about their emissions in China as well?

Richard said to let it go. Please let it go. You're not going to get anywhere continuing to argue.

The Confusion is Richard the Contributor saying let it go or is Richard the moderator, saying let it go after he made his point.

I appreciate that you stepped forward in this discussion, we/I am trying to find that balance between Arguing and disagreeing.

Are they lying about their emissions in China as well?

I wonder how much profit VW will have after the US EPA gets through with them for fraud on emissions.......

On luxury brands and profit, I wish Ford would step up the pace with Lincoln a bit, Carpe Diem Ford

there is an interesting dynamic between The US and the EU, basically I am under the impression everyone in the EU is gaming the system, including Ford. ( look and the issues with Ecoboost in the US vs The EU) you can see it in the CO2 numbers vs the Fuel economy numbers. the Automakers have great incentives to cheat in the EU, and there isn't the regulatory Stick in the EU like there is with the EPA.

For all the hatred that some have for the EPA, they have the authority they need to punish those that violate the law,there isn't that accountability in the EU.

Has the Tundra even paid for its development or manufacturing facility yet?

Yes for original Toyota Tundra manufacturing facility - TMMI in Gibson County, Indiana. I don't know about TMMTX in San Antonio where all Tundra trucks are currently produced, or for Tundra's design and R&D costs.