'15 Edge Naps Top Safety Pick by IIHS

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/23/2015-ford-edge-top-safety-pick-iihs/

They might have rated it good, but by looking at that video that front door crunched up a bit too much compared to others.

It only got acceptable, not good and not for all 2015 Edge's, just ones made after May. Actually the only Ford Car with a good rating is the Crew Cab F-150, this test has been known for over 5 years now. It is pathetic a brand new ground up vehicle shouldn't have aced this test from day one. Disgusting actually...

My personal opinion is we've reached the point of diminishing returns on these tests and I feel perfectly safe in most any vehicle made the last 5 years, regardless of whether it gets acceptable or good.

The probablility of being in the exact type of accident where the difference between acceptable and good makes any meaningful difference in injuries is getting smaller and smaller with every new test.

• Like 2

If automotive safety is being driven up by the INSURANCE Institute for Highway Safety, then please help me understand WHY my insurance rates keeps going up and up for no apparent reason?

Well, because cars are made to crumple in order to meet crash standards. It takes more money to fix the crumpled pieces. :)

Think about it - if you're going under a certain speed then you're not in a life threatening situation anyway. Above a certain speed and you're doomed anyway. If you hit at any other angle other than the one they tested then the results are unpredictable.

By the time you add up all the variables that have to line up in order to make a measurable real world difference the probability starts to get very very small. Which is why I object to reclassifying the test results. If something was GOOD 5 years ago it should still be GOOD today. If newer cars exceed that then label them EXTRA GOOD or BETTER, BEST, etc. Give the new ones 6 or 7 stars but keep the old results at 5 stars.

But that wouldn't serve the PR purpose and more and more people would start ignoring the test results (like I'm already starting to do). Sliding the bar just creates the appearance of the need for additional testing which in turn justifies the IIHS.