Oakville Assembly Plant

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out how the plant is arranged to build the D4s as well as the CD4s.

Are the D4 and CD4 made using common body shop, paint shop, assembly line

and final trim or are some/all those processes separate?

Are the build sequences now mostly the same enabling the use of common work stations?

Happy New Year everyone....

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Hi all,

I'm trying to work out how the plant is arranged to build the D4s as well as the CD4s.

Are the D4 and CD4 made using common body shop, paint shop, assembly line

and final trim or are some/all those processes separate?

Are the build sequences now mostly the same enabling the use of common work stations?

Happy New Year everyone....

Happy New Year. Paint and Final Assembly(Chassis and Trim) are in line sequence ...all units back to back to back. Body looks to be the same to me. Lots of money spent upgrading to laser welding robotics and dimension controls. Paint has the newest electronic checks for paint quality. Line speed looks slower to me. Maybe low 60's. This place used to be a very fast plant...like the Kentucky Plants...I have not worked there since 1999....Windstar.....further back I worked at Oakville Truck. I think they are running 2 shifts plus a half....to maximize production.....no size constraints as there is lots of square feet.

• Like 1

"This place used to be a very fast plant ... 1999 Windstar..."

Was this why Windstars were so buggy and are hardly seen anymore? Many same era Villagers and Chrysler vans are still chugging along.

Doubt it. That seems more like poor engineering than assembly flaws. Remember, DTP, KCAP and LAP are currently the fastest Ford plants currently, and they all move just as fast or maybe slightly faster than Oakville did back in the day.

The three pillars of virtue, good products, logical easy build process and properly trained workers.

I wonder how much frustration there was with line workers and supervisors arguing over issues with

older vehicles that were harder to build and get right without some sort of come back, be that defects

or taking too much time...

Now that Ford has standardized the build process across most vehicles, maybe some or all of those

previous issues are not as pronounced or easier to control or easier to blame on suppliers...

Edited by jpd80

"This place used to be a very fast plant ... 1999 Windstar..."

Was this why Windstars were so buggy and are hardly seen anymore? Many same era Villagers and Chrysler vans are still chugging along.

Doubt it. That seems more like poor engineering than assembly flaws. Remember, DTP, KCAP and LAP are currently the fastest Ford plants currently, and they all move just as fast or maybe slightly faster than Oakville did back in the day.

I have to concur with fuzzy. Way too many poor engineering decisions (who would up a u-shaped upward pointing channel anywhere on the underbody of a vehicle ?) Compounded by managements "head in the sand" attitude regarding long term durability issue with the engine and transmission (carried over from the Taurus).

Then the Freestar ! What a waste of engineering dollars. Much too few feature and much too late for the marketplace. If I were CEO at the time, a lot of heads would have rolled.

• Like 1

I have to concur with fuzzy. Way too many poor engineering decisions (who would up a u-shaped upward pointing channel anywhere on the underbody of a vehicle ?) Compounded by managements "head in the sand" attitude regarding long term durability issue with the engine and transmission (carried over from the Taurus).

Then the Freestar ! What a waste of engineering dollars. Much too few feature and much too late for the marketplace. If I were CEO at the time, a lot of heads would have rolled.

If I remember right, it was a 600 million dollar expenditure to basically change the nameplate.

The current Transit passenger van is a Mini-van to me, so Ford still sells one.

Transit Wagon and Transit Connect wagon have the market covered.

I'd love to know the break out of wagons in Transit and TC sales..

Edited by jpd80

Happy New Year. Paint and Final Assembly(Chassis and Trim) are in line sequence ...all units back to back to back. Body looks to be the same to me. Lots of money spent upgrading to laser welding robotics and dimension controls. Paint has the newest electronic checks for paint quality. Line speed looks slower to me. Maybe low 60's. This place used to be a very fast plant...like the Kentucky Plants...I have not worked there since 1999....Windstar.....further back I worked at Oakville Truck. I think they are running 2 shifts plus a half....to maximize production.....no size constraints as there is lots of square feet.

Agree with most of this post, except with "lots of square feet". As an MP&L driver, I can attest to the fact that square footage is a huge factor for warehousing and delivering stock. Here's your stock, find a place for it!! Parts are constantly being lost, misplaced, wrong, or late to the line. Things are only going to get worse with the launch of of right hand drive, and diesel.(CDX).

Agree with most of this post, except with "lots of square feet". As an MP&L driver, I can attest to the fact that square footage is a huge factor for warehousing and delivering stock. Here's your stock, find a place for it!! Parts are constantly being lost, misplaced, wrong, or late to the line. Things are only going to get worse with the launch of of right hand drive, and diesel.(CDX).

Chicago is 2.8 million square feet .Oakville is 5.5 million square feet. Sounds like poor management , not a shortage of space.

Chicago is 2.8 million square feet .Oakville is 5.5 million square feet. Sounds like poor management , not a shortage of space.

Oakville also is an amalgamation of 2 previously separate plants - Ontario Truck Plant and Oakville Assembly Plant were previously two independent plants on the same site that has now been reconfigured into the Oakville Assembly Complex That's why it's so huge in comparison.

• Like 1