Sergio Marchionne Is Chopping Dicks Over The Chrysler 200

silvrsvt

“The 200 failed because somebody thought that the rear-seat entry point inside the 200 — which is our fault, by the way — is not up to snuff,” Marchionne said.

The problem: The slope of the roof crimps the entry portal.

Then the boss explained what went wrong. “The Hyundai which we copied [presumably the Sonata] has the same problem,” Marchionne admitted. “We didn’t copy the car, we copied the entry point to the rear seat. Dummies. I acknowledge it. Some people from design left some of their private parts on the table after we came up with that determination. But I think we’re learning from this process.”

http://jalopnik.com/sergio-marchionne-is-chopping-dicks-over-the-chrysler-2-1755034935?rev=1453764793286&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

This guy doesn't know when to keep his trap shut, why would a senior exec ever have reason to make such an admission..

Jeez to admit copying anything from another brand is just suicide in a press conference......

Here is the fix!

1995-acclaim-2.jpg

Honestly, with the serious decline in car sales to CUVs, it wouldn't surprise me if the next gen (or after) of cars begin to bring back more formal rooflines (not to the extent of that lovely Plymouth Acclaim, but something more practical than many of today's cars).

Honestly, with the serious decline in car sales to CUVs, it wouldn't surprise me if the next gen (or after) of cars begin to bring back more formal rooflines (not to the extent of that lovely Plymouth Acclaim, but something more practical than many of today's cars).

My wife and I bought a new '93 Acclaim V6 BECAUSE of that roofline/rear entry when we had our first baby. We found that it was the most convenient affordable vehicle for getting the baby bucket/carrier in and out of the car. A side benefit was that the car had space like a d@mn limo in the back!

We had the car for nearly 12 years and 127k miles, with nary a large problem ever. It still looked great and ran great when we got rid of it.

So go ahead an make fun of the boxy styling - those were actually pretty good cars!

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine
  • Like 1

Acclaim/Spirit were great cars to rent, compared to Tempo and Corsicas of the time. Felt solid as rocks and roomy.

The Cloud cars were "pretty", but were not as tough, IMO.

Anyway, it is laughable to say 'we copied Hyundai', but aren't the Dart/200 just stretched Fiats? They seem to be saying, here is "our Hyundai".

My wife and I bought a new '93 Acclaim V6 BECAUSE of that roofline/rear entry when we had our first baby. We found that it was the most convenient affordable vehicle for getting the baby bucket/carrier in and out of the car. A side benefit was that the car had space like a d@mn limo in the back!

We had the car for nearly 12 years and 127k miles, with nary a large problem ever. It still looked great and ran great when we got rid of it.

So go ahead an make fun of the boxy styling - those were actually pretty good cars!

-Ovaltine

My brother had one for his family too! He drove it a long time until a few years ago he bought a Taurus to replace it. Anyway, I hated riding in the front seat. The windshield and dash were just too close to me. It just seemed really cramped.

Acclaim/Spirit were great cars to rent, compared to Tempo and Corsicas of the time. Felt solid as rocks and roomy.

Anyway, it is laughable to say 'we copied Hyundai', but aren't the Dart/200 just stretched Fiats? They seem to be saying, here is "our Hyundai".

They were definitely better than a Tempo and Corsica *BARF*

They have more formal rooflines now. They just stretch it all the way back over the trunk, jack it up and call it a CUV.

The Spirit and Acclaim were restyled and refined K-cars. Chrysler had the bugs worked out of the basic car by that point.

They were much like the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera and Buick Century of the early 1990s - after having been in production for that long, the car had better be reliable.

• Like 1