Cadillac’s Problem of the Cars It Can’t Sell

silvrsvt

Fuzzymoomoo, the local Chevrolet dealer has a new-generation Cruze on the lot. The car's overall shape looks too rounded and "soft," to the point where car, as a whole, looks almost blob-like. The character lines on the side only manage to look incoherent (the Malibu has the same problem).

The new Cruze looked much better in the photos.

I agree. I saw it at NAIAS this year and I didn't like it at all. It's like they tried way too hard to shoehorn the new look onto it. I get trying to establish brand identity. They're trying too hard.

I think Cadillac is similarly affected, maybe more so and accentuated due to changeover SRX to XT5,

all that money spent on up scale RWD cars and now the buyer preference is moving to Utilities..

This underscores the challenging nature of sustaining a premium automotive brand. Upscale RWD cars represent a necessary part of product lineups for such brands, but they are not sufficient. Premium vehicle customers throughout the world are extremely demanding - and fickle.

Outside the U.S. market, Cadillac sales show growth in China, Canada, and Mexico (comparing the first three months of 2016 with the same period in 2015). I do hope that Cadillac continues to improve its stature and joins Tesla as a globally respected yet distinctly American premium automotive brand.

Edited by aneekr

Curious here,

Looking a Lincoln, there was a significant drop YOY for cars 21.7% but thanks to the surge in Utilities 52%,

Lincoln saw a nice YOY increase of 20.2%

I think Cadillac is similarly affected, maybe more so and accentuated due to changeover SRX to XT5,

all that money spent on up scale RWD cars and now the buyer preference is moving to Utilities..

XT5 launch is moving slower than they would like. They had to idle the plant they're built at for a week because of a parts shortage caused by the Japan Earthquake.

• Like 1

Caddy has huge global potential and perhaps what they are doing now will play into that eventually, but I'm not convinced yet that they have a viable plan or that it's unfolding as they predicted (based on overproduction). Lincoln is slowly building its brand in a slow but organic way and it's gaining momentum. It's not really turning into a brand I'm personally attracted to, it's a brand that lacks visual excitement or advanced technology like the Germans or Caddy, but I definitely see the value in their more conservative luxury idea.

Edited by BORG

Citations required. And let's go by the 2016 MKX which has Sync 3 and automatic collision braking.

Sync 3 is a Ford product, on a small Ford screen, and based on software pioneered years earlier by other carmakers...this is not advanced. Automatic Braking is nothing new or advanced, outside of Ford anyway.

Lincoln is getting the basics right but not really contributing to advances in chassis technology or luxury amenities, but that's understandable at this stage and pricing. The one piece of technology that makes Lincoln impressive is EcoBoost, they just need to get a modern transmission in there to complete the package.

Lincoln still has its gimmicks, the soft release door handles is the most notable. Less gimmicky are their seats which although fairly common in luxury makers (even Buicks), aren't quite at the same level, at any price point.

Regardless, I don't feel like it's missing anything at this point in terms of features or performance (besides a smoother more intuitive transmission), but I would like a larger display and an interface that better integrates all of Lincoln's more advanced luxury functions instead of dividing them between the instrument panel, Sync 3, and console buttons. That often means that many of the unique luxury features in a Lincoln are simply inaccessible or inconvenient to use (such as electronic chassis controls). I think Lincoln is still living in a Ford world where everything needs to be modularized and separated which isn't the way things work at Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, etc. I'm really curious to see how Continental handles this since the interface on the dash has been redesigned.

Edited by BORG

Sync 3 is a Ford product, on a small Ford screen, and based on software pioneered years earlier by other carmakers...this is not advanced. Automatic Braking is nothing new or advanced, outside of Ford anyway.

Lincoln is getting the basics right but not really contributing to advances in chassis technology or luxury amenities, but that's understandable at this stage and pricing. Fortunately Ford makes awesome engines...if not awesome transmissions which is also putting Lincoln at a tech disadvantage.

But Sync 3 is just as advanced as anything that the Germans or Caddy has right now - moreso in some cases.

You specifically said that the Germans and Cadillac had more advanced technology. I'm asking for specific examples because I don't believe that.

But Sync 3 is just as advanced as anything that the Germans or Caddy has right now - moreso in some cases.

You specifically said that the Germans and Cadillac had more advanced technology. I'm asking for specific examples because I don't believe that.

A fully integrated command system like Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus is not Sync 3. I don't think this is appreciated until you're actually a Lincoln customer who has to dig around the small dashboard screens to access the electronic chassis settings, tire pressure monitor, seat settings, etc.. I'm not saying this is a horrible deal breaker, especially if you're paying less for a Lincoln, but it's clear that others are doing this much better once you get behind the wheel of a new Mercedes or Audi. Essentially Lincoln is loading its cars up with features that can be cumbersome and confusing to operate.

Caddy's Cue system isn't much better but it does have a better dashboard interface, Lincoln has a REALLY bad one although I'm hoping Continental finally fixes that.

And I can be critical and still love my Lincolns, I'm not a blind fanboy of anything.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 2

...especially if you're paying less for a Lincoln, but it's clear that others are doing this much better once you get behind the wheel of a new Mercedes or Audi. Essentially Lincoln is loading its cars up with features that can be cumbersome and confusing to operate.

+1

Using a dining analogy, it's the difference between serving up big portions and multiple courses versus delivering fine flavor using high quality, properly selected ingredients. I prefer the latter both literally and figuratively.

I am a fan of SYNC 3 in recent Ford vehicles though. The core infotainment functions in SYNC 3 are very well designed and the QNX operating system is ideally suited for the application.

Have you used the Lexus system? I wouldn't say it's anything special.

I can't for the life of me understand how having to deal with that stupid mouse thing would not be distracting while driving. At least the other systems have straightforward directions of use (up, down, left, right, push down), that mouse goes all over the place (yes, I know it "locks" on to items you pass over, but still).

• Like 1

I can't for the life of me understand how having to deal with that stupid mouse thing would not be distracting while driving. At least the other systems have straightforward directions of use (up, down, left, right, push down), that mouse goes all over the place (yes, I know it "locks" on to items you pass over, but still).

You are correct, the 'Remote Touch' controller in certain Lexus models is frustrating to use when the vehicle is stationary and precariously distracting when the vehicle is in motion.

Most Lexus cars without built-in satnav use a rotary dial, which is a much better design.

A fully integrated command system like Audi, Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus is not Sync 3. I don't think this is appreciated until you're actually a Lincoln customer who has to dig around the small dashboard screens to access the electronic chassis settings, tire pressure monitor, seat settings, etc..

And how much are you futzing around with that stuff after it's set up the first time?

In my dealings with MFT....the only thing I touch on a daily basis is changing from my USB stick to Sat radio, using voice commands to call people and using Siri One Touch to send voice text messages if I need to.

I've given up on the Nav system since its such a PIA to use and I use Waze instead...waiting for when Sync III adds Apps so my next car doesn't need navigation in it and I just run it from my phone.

• Like 1

I much prefer the hard buttons for climate control and seat ventilation. I use the steering wheel controls for volume and track/station selection. I use voice control to make calls and send texts with Siri Eyes Free. I use the touchscreen to select "hear text messages" when they pop up and to change the audio source (very easy with sync 3). We leave it on the Entertainment screen most of the time. I use voice commands to enter destinations and cancel routes and find POIs.

I only check tire pressures occasionally out of curiosity. The 8" display is the same as other luxury makes. Just because it pops up out of the dash doesn't make it larger or more useful. Quite the opposite if you ask me.

I can't speak to the electronic ride control adjustments or AWD displays since I don't have those. Seems like a knob for those would be easier to use.