Tesla under investigation over autopilot system linked to death

blwnsmoke

Flying a plane (even taking off and landing) in autopilot is much easier than a 100% driverless car.

Yeah, they don't have trucks pulling out on front of them....;)

and Autopilot might have to learn sign language.........

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Airplanes have Auto pilot from cruising, but they still don't have "auto-take off" or "auto landing". And would you fly in one that supposedly did?

Can't expect 100% driverless cars, "in a few years" as some fanatics say. IMHO.

Airplanes can land by autopilot now... just not take off.

Another accident..

Another Tesla crashes and Autopilot is blamed again

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/07/05/owner-survives-tesla-crash/86729076/

In his crash report, Vukovich stated that Scaglione's car was traveling east near mile marker 160, about 5 p.m. when it hit a guardrail "off the right side of the roadway. It then crossed over the eastbound lanes and hit the concrete median."

After that, the Tesla Model X rolled onto its roof and came to rest in the middle eastbound lane. A 2013 Infiniti G37 driven in the westbound lane by Thomas Hess of West Chester, Penn.., was struck by debris from the Scaglione car, but neither he nor his passenger was hurt.

Vukovich said he likely will cite Scaglione after he completes his investigation, but he declined to specify the charge.

The real problem is that machines have neither language nor agency.

I would explain further, but I am certain that I would be wasting my time.

cars are inanimate objects subject to control by humans whether by direct manipulation by steering wheel and brakes or computers that communicate with each other. As NASA has been able to control space flight cars will be controlled by computers as soon as tech is developed.

there was a time when everything that does now work, that it did not....

please waste some more time ;)

Isn't it interesting that those of us with the least faith in fully autonomous vehicles are the folks that have spent considerable amounts of time programming computers?

Not saying any program is perfect, just saying no driver is perfect is either. This is a work in progress and will continue whether any or all of the neanderthals of the world agree or not.

Not saying any program is perfect, just saying no driver is perfect is either. This is a work in progress and will continue whether any or all of the neanderthals of the world agree or not.

Of course it's a work in progress, and it's obviously going to continue. I'm not saying driver aids and semi-autonomy are bad things, I welcome them to make vehicles safer. However, thinking that we are going to be riding around in fully autonomous vehicles in 5 - 10 years is pie-in-the-sky thinking. There are just too many variables to make that a reality (IMO).

• Like 1

There are ways to develop and test this software without going full autopilot at highway speeds. If autopilot fails at 25 mph you probably won't kill anybody. If autopilot fails at 50-60 mph you probably will kill somebody.

You can reap all of the safety benefits with driver assistance.

It's amazing what people will sacrifice (literally) in the name of cool gadgets.

People

Are

Idiots

http://digg.com/video/self-driving-car-patty-cake?utm_content=buffer3ed24&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I like the Tesla statement at the end that autopilot does not "allow" the driver to abdicate responsibility.

I'm sorry, but based on those videos it plainly does allow drivers to check out.

Edited by RichardJensen

People

Are

Idiots

http://digg.com/video/self-driving-car-patty-cake?utm_content=buffer3ed24&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

I like the Tesla statement at the end that autopilot does not "allow" the driver to abdicate responsibility.

I'm sorry, but based on those videos it plainly does allow drivers to check out.

How many car crashes (fender bender to deadly) happen per year with humans?. Yes, new tech will have teething problems but that no excuse for throwing away the tech.

From what is reported the guy probably wasn't awake which Tesla prohibits with you having your hands on the wheel after a short distance or the car will pull over and stop.

• Like 1

The real problem is that machines have neither language nor agency.

I would explain further, but I am certain that I would be wasting my time.

If I was to say that the main failing of a computer is that it cannot interact in a social network (like bees / other drivers)

without being connected to every other unit around it.......and that's before we discuss the actions taken.

Edited by jpd80

Autonomous tech won't ever work in a manner deemed safe unless EVERY vehicle on the road is using it and interacting with each other over the air.

At that point you might as well just take the train.

Edited by Anthony

Autonomous tech won't ever work in a manner deemed safe unless EVERY vehicle on the road is using it and interacting with each other over the air.

At that point you might as well just take the train.

Unless you outright ban cars that don't have this tech...which would never happen...this going to never happen.

And humans drive so good... The future of auto driving is going to be a reality, even if you don't want it.

In very limited scenarios for the next 20-30 years.

Just look at this way...how is my (future dream car) 2018 Mustang GT350 supposed to interact with autonomous vehicles in 2030 or so when I'm driving it? How about people who have Model Ts or 1967 Shelby Mustangs?

Your always going to have cars that lack autonomous controls for a very long time going forward...

I seriously doubt I'll ever see it before I stop driving in the next 30 years or so.