Tesla under investigation over autopilot system linked to death

blwnsmoke

How many car crashes (fender bender to deadly) happen per year with humans?. Yes, new tech will have teething problems but that no excuse for throwing away the tech.

WHO reports 1.25 million road traffic deaths globally in 2013. I agree, autonomous driving technology has advanced dramatically in the past decade and should continue to advance even more rapidly in the years to come.

Insurance and liability issues are more likely to be an impediment to widespread adoption of autonomous cars than technical issues, at least in the USA.

Isn't it interesting that those of us with the least faith in fully autonomous vehicles are the folks that have spent considerable amounts of time programming computers?

It's not about faith. It's about confidence about the future of transportation based on the remarkable progress achieved in autonomous vehicle technology since programmers, engineers, computer scientists, and robotics researchers at Carnegie Mellon University pioneered it over 30 years ago. CMU Electrical and Computer Engineering Professor Raj Rajkumar stated last year:

"Features of automated self-driving cars will appear incrementally and organically, with vehicles eventually driving themselves. This will make the cars affordable and encourage public adoption."

"In the not-so-distant future self-driving cars will provide society with many benefits pertaining to safety and quality of life."

In very limited scenarios for the next 20-30 years.

Just look at this way...how is my (future dream car) 2018 Mustang GT350 supposed to interact with autonomous vehicles in 2030 or so when I'm driving it? How about people who have Model Ts or 1967 Shelby Mustangs?

Your always going to have cars that lack autonomous controls for a very long time going forward...

I seriously doubt I'll ever see it before I stop driving in the next 30 years or so.

I doubt manual driving would be banned, it's too many variables on the road, especially around metropolitan areas. IMO ideally it would be HOV/HOT lanes and commercial vehicles on long, low population interstate/highways that autonomous vehicles would be an asset.

remarkable progress

there has been no 'remarkable progress'.

Just miniaturization and reduction in cost.

There has been no great conceptual leap that has bridged the gap between the fundamental limitations of pattern matching and the complexity of real world interactions.

Here's a clue on just how far we haven't advanced with autonomous vehicles.

Take the controls and steering wheel out of your autonomous pilot car and hit the autonomous switch...

I dare you to feel safe in among all the other lunatics on the road.....and don't dare run anyone over...

This is not about knocking the technology but more about smashing this illusion some have

that today's technology is much more advanced and capable than it really is...

Manufacturers like tesla who are pushing this tech know the limitations yet contiue

to use their own "true believer" buyers as guinea pigs testing these systems in the

real world...not good.

Edited by jpd80

How many car crashes (fender bender to deadly) happen per year with humans?. Yes, new tech will have teething problems but that no excuse for throwing away the tech.

From what is reported the guy probably wasn't awake which Tesla prohibits with you having your hands on the wheel after a short distance or the car will pull over and stop.

1) I don't know if Tesla's prohibition has any teeth. It sounds more like another nanny to me.

2) Speaking of that nanny, I found this story today... http://money.cnn.com/2016/07/12/technology/tesla-autopilot-accident/

Excerpt:

Neither Pang nor his passenger were injured in the accident, but it was serious enough that the car lost its front passenger side wheel. Pang told Shope he was driving between 55 and 60 mph on a road with a 55 mph speed limit. He told CNNMoney he had just gotten off of I-90 and was driving for a couple of minutes on the narrow road right before the accident. The car veered to the right and hit a series of wooden stakes on the side of the road. Both Pang and Tesla confirmed that the car was in Autopilot mode, and that he did not have his hands on the wheel.

Pang said he did not receive any warning from the car that he was in danger and needed to act, adding that the warnings from his car were in English, and that he speaks Mandarin.

In a statement, Tesla said otherwise. "As road conditions became increasingly uncertain, the vehicle again alerted the driver to put his hands on the wheel," said Tesla. "He did not do so and shortly thereafter the vehicle collided with a post on the edge of the roadway."

Sounds like the car did exactly what it was supposed to do in that it pulled over once it sensed the driver wasn't holding the wheel... right into a guardrail.

remember the buggy whip, I need a new one please....

Do you know how many miles Americans drive, on average, per year?

Do you know how rarely traffic fatalities occur in the US?

Do you understand how complicated the transportation environment is? Do you realize how many miles of roadways there are? Do you realize how often the configuration of those roadways change?