GMC planning a Jeep Wrangler fighter based on the Canyon?

silvrsvt

Bronco is not arriving until 2020 or beyond according to the UAW contract so it may actually arrive after GM's version.

I'm curious to see how this works, the Bronco is historically a short box on tiny wheels as opposed to the open air flared-out rock crawler that makes the Wrangler so distinctive and appealing. I just don't see a Bronco-style vehicle being a match for Wrangler or its design and brand (or its capabilities). I think GM has allot more flexibility to do something unrelated to an existing icon. If Ford does bring back the Bronco name, they can't bring back any vestiges of it's original design (including 2-doors).

Edited by BORG

Bronco is not arriving until 2020 or beyond according to the UAW contract so it may actually arrive after GM's version.

I'm curious to see how this works, the Bronco is historically a short box on tiny wheels as opposed to the open air flared-out rock crawler that makes the Wrangler so distinctive and appealing. I just don't see a Bronco-style vehicle being a match for Wrangler or its design and brand (or its capabilities). I think GM has allot more flexibility to do something unrelated to an existing icon. If Ford does bring back the Bronco name, they can't bring back any vestiges of it's original design (including 2-doors).

The last contract said new/additional product at MAP before 2020...the Ranger comes in 2018

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2015/11/13/michigan-assembly-workers-vote-yes-ford-uaw-contract/75698802/

As for the Bronco...I often wonder if you're even on the same planet at times.

Lets see:

'67 Bronco

5457196585_fcbd50973c_o.jpg

67 CJ-5

001.jpg

Both have tiny tires on them and the rears are removable. Just because people add big tires to a Jeep as aftermarket doesn't make it de jure

The full sized Bronco always had a removable top to it...the Bronco II did not, but the Bronco II was dangerous and actually replaced in the Ford lineup in 1990 by the Explorer...so it doesn't count.

The full sized Bronco based on the F-150 is almost identical in size to the current Edge

184″ L x 79″ W x 74″ H-1996 Bronco

188″ L x 76″ W x 69″ H- 2016 Edge

• Like 1

I do believe the best way to standout is to go in a very unexpected design direction, something uniquely modern. I found an early design study for the Bronco which I'm sure points to what we'll see...

1988_Ford_Bronco_DM-1_concept_01.jpg

In all seriousness however, I don't believe any Bronco coming after the original is a good indicator of what it should be like, they really are just early SUVs and not rugged off-roaders the Wrangler was uniquely styled for.

Edited by BORG

I do have a fetish for the seamless minimalism of the Late 80's and 90's designs, the 70's and Naughts were probably the lowest point in Automotive design however. It seems we have to go through these cycles before design has an opportunity to shine again...although the current design aesthetic is a variation of the 90s. I think the brands that are the biggest design innovators and influencers of the current era are Infiniti, BMW, and Mazda, characterized by smooth flowing non-linear surfaces and defined creases with an emphasis on ideal architectural proportions. Not everybody's cup of tea but definitely the most striking. Mustang has a slight hint of this but otherwise Ford and Lincoln mostly design with a ruler and softer sculpting. Ford was the design trendsetter (along with Audi) through the 80s, 90s - Audi more so in the 00's, but now they are relatively conservative players.

Edited by BORG

In all seriousness however, I don't believe any Bronco coming after the original is a good indicator of what it should be like, they really are just early SUVs and not rugged off-roaders the Wrangler was uniquely styled for.

The Wrangler, along with the CJ-5 and 7 where based off this:

img_0060.jpg

Guess what? Ford built that in WW2

The Bronco styling from the 1960-70s lends itself well as a starting point (not copy) for a next gen Bronco if they want to go the Wrangler market.

Plus how you can not like this:

icon-bronco.jpg

Not to mention if Ford did a direct copy of the Wrangler, it would be a failure. Ford needs to aim at making a more civilized version that is just as adaptable as the wrangler with Ford DNA and reliability, which is something Jeep owners find lacking

Edited by silvrsvt

Originally yes, but the majority of the Early Broncos in existence today are highly modified open air flared-out rock crawlers that compete very well with the Wrangler. That's a portion of the customers that Ford is aware of and needs to consider if they want it to be a Wrangler fighter.

Many of my Early Bronco friends also have a Wrangler for longer and easier trips. They would likely keep their Early Bronco and get a new Bronco also if it were a Wrangler fighter.

Edited by fabfordeb