Claim: 2017 Ecosport Refresh Bound for USA

2017-Ford-EcoSport-facelift-Rendering-10

The above is a guess from the site, but it makes sense, given its obvious roots in the Escape.

The facelifted 2017 Ford EcoSport will mark the car's entry in the USA. The North American-spec EcoSport will not be shipped from Brazil, but from India, as per a report.

Complete slideshow/article here: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/slideshows/auto/5-things-we-know-about-the-2017-ford-ecosport/slideshow/51407423.cms

I can't vouch for the veracity of this news, but it's certainly interesting!

Edited by Harley Lover

The current gen? I thought that was widely panned and deemed not ready for US consumption?

Had a rear mounted spare tire and interior materials that would make a 1984 accord proud of what it had, and would probably bombed iihs tests. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but at what price. This announcement if true will be after Nov 8.

The current gen? I thought that was widely panned and deemed not ready for US consumption?

Ford EU undertook a crash program on the current gen to bring it closer to EU expectations, and it is selling at an improved rate this year. I infer from the linked article that there is another set of step up improvements in this refresh, otherwise it wouldn't come to the U.S.. That's assuming this report is accurate - and I'm not certain about that. I was under the impression Ford was holding off on bringing it to the U.S. until the redesign, but perhaps they chose a different path. Companies can change their minds, after all.

Edited by Harley Lover

Had a rear mounted spare tire and interior materials that would make a 1984 accord proud of what it had, and would probably bombed iihs tests. Nothing that couldn't be fixed, but at what price. This announcement if true will be after Nov 8.

The rear mounted spare was deleted for the EU export EcoSport, I doubt it would come on the US export one.

HA! it only took them 5 years to make decision.

Having ridden in those earlier Ecosport examples, you didn't miss much.

The upgrades done for Europe and Australia were a steep learning curve for Ford

but even then, this car is significantly shorter than Trax/Encore and it shows up

in the tiny trunk area, there's still room but not much if you*re used to a Focus hatch...

I just don't see Americans taking to B Utilities like some think but, they are a better option

than a B-hatchback. At least Automakers can charger closer to $20K for them...

PS,

This could be one of the plans that gets dropped for North America,

Edited by jpd80

I really don't see a reason not to bring this over, although I'm not pumped about its manufacturing location. It is obvious that it will be lacking in trunk space as the Renegade, Trax, and HRV are approximately 7 to 10 inches longer than it respectively. But if it doesn't cost much to do, why not throw it out there until the next Gen is available. I think it's a decent looking small suv. It's about the same size as a Mini Countryman so it has that going for it.