Lincoln at the 2016 Miami International Auto Show

You've taken 2 personal shots at Borg in this thread regarding A plan. Enough already. Kudos to Borg for ignoring the bait.

That's how these boys play Harley...... It's unfortunate. I'm not as good as BORG, I take the bait, but I'm trying to stay to the point and no personal attacks anymore, even if against me, just about Lincoln...... I agree with BORG greatly on many, probably all points. Just because we don't care for the current Lincoln whatever, doesn't mean we want Lincoln to be Cadillac(its once main competitor), BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. It just means that these vehicles aren't enough, they have bland styling, still are old people vehicles with 2016 paint and finish...... Yes they are 1000% better than last gen products, but this can only be a stop gap, as Buick products are neck and neck with Lincoln's, Lincoln I believe has an edge, but the Buick is an excellent vehicle...... We gotta get the future development up and running, we need a turn around and large push for the new decade. This vehicle a year isn't going to cut it forever. Once the Nav is out next year, they need a new MKX, and Aviator in 2019, then for the new decade unveil an all new platform and powertrain in a coupe/convertible/sedan, and a large sedan. And from there, refreshes, and maybe some more new models, as the market sees fit.

• Like 1

Does Buick have......

Buick as good as Lincoln? No. But the answer to a lot of your questions is "Yes"

4/50 warranty - Yes

Free porter service - don't think so, but not sure.

350 and 400 hp engine choices - same as above.

Full sized sedan - Yes

Full sized SUV - Yes

Electronically controlled suspension - Yes

AWD powertrains - Yes

Hybrid powertrains - Yes

Lacrosse hybrid (Just caught that it appears to currently be China only)

http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/buick/lacrosse/2017-lacrosse/2017-buick-lacrosse-hybrid/

Previously Lacrosse had the cheasy e-assist system, but this is the watered down volt/real hybrid system used in the Malibu.

The Enclave is full sized. If you want to say BOF I'll give you that. The Navigator sells less than 1k a month. At most Buick dealers they can walk you over to a Yukon instead, which outsells the Nav significantly. The Denali is very much a luxury BOF. But again, I'm not agreeing with the premise that Lincoln and Buick are on the same footing.

Edited by sullynd

Buick as good as Lincoln? No. But the answer to a lot of your questions is "Yes"

4/50 warranty - Yes

Free porter service - don't think so, but not sure.

350 and 400 hp engine choices - same as above.

Full sized sedan - Yes

Full sized SUV - Yes

Electronically controlled suspension - Yes

AWD powertrains - Yes

Hybrid powertrains - Yes

Buick has almost 3x as many sales as Lincoln, so it shouldn't be taken lightly either. If GM plays their cards right they should make Buick's place in the market the space that "old Cadillac" or American styled luxury should be if they insist on moving Cadillac up market with fewer sales. They should make Buick more than "Chevy premium" with different body panels. Lincoln at least is on the right path in that respect as they are becoming more difficult to identify the Ford car roots that they borrow.

Buick just as good as Lincoln?

Does Buick have......

4/50 warranty

Free porter service

350 and 400 hp engine choices

Full sized sedan

Full sized SUV

Electronically controlled suspension

AWD powertrains

Hybrid powertrains

Without even verifying it, I'm pretty sure you can get near every feature in the Buick. But you can't get the level of Cadillac out of Lincoln. IMO Lincoln's fall somewhere in between Cadillac and Buick at this point. I think it's actually unfortunate for Ford not having Mercury, because they have to juggle between just Ford and Lincoln. GM was able to attack the situation better in the market place. I've already stated I think interior styling is too plain, not enough different textures, all leather one color, especially in black..... I don't have qualms with FWD-biased crossovers, that's fine and dandy once Aviator is here. I do however think we need a flagship Town Car on D6 in 2020-22, along with some type of performance model. The rest is fine to stay, just need to keep it fresh, competitive, and beautifully styled. Not just sell old crap duds again. Edited by LincolnLover

Without even verifying it, I'm pretty sure you can get near every feature in the Buick. But you can't get the level of Cadillac out of Lincoln. IMO Lincoln's fall somewhere in between Cadillac and Buick at this point. I think it's actually unfortunate for Ford not having Mercury, because they have to juggle between just Ford and Lincoln. GM was able to attack the situation better in the market place. I've already stated I think interior styling is too plain, not enough different textures, all leather one color, especially in black..... I don't have qualms with FWD-biased crossovers, that's fine and dandy once Aviator is here. I do however think we need a flagship Town Car on D6 in 2020-22, along with some type of performance model. The rest is fine to stay, just need to keep it fresh, competitive, and beautifully styled. Not just sell old crap duds again.

Mercury is and was unnecessary and a waste of resources. Had Buick not been popular in China, it too would have been gone. That point doesn't need to be discussed anymore.

I don't understand your complaint about all black interiors being all one color....duh? What else would they put in it?

Lincoln and Buick are very similar because they share customers but there is no question Lincoln is a higher achieving and more exclusive luxury player. I do think Buick is much more successful at it's business than Lincoln is at the their business, especially when you consider China. Lincoln and Buick design are also merging for the first time with a very similar aesthetic, soft and long lines, large chrome shield grills, and lots of chrome accents...language you won't find on any other luxury brand which tend to be much more sharp and aggressive. And ultimately Buick and Lincoln are targeting very similar markets taken by Lexus and ultimately left behind as they move onto something much more youthful and progressive. I know what Lincoln is trying to do, look British, but it's all looks like a thin copy without the right proportions or premium materials. Lincoln just doesn't look special at all anymore, and that's partly why I'm just not optimistic about them, I strongly believe this is a brand that has designed itself into anonymity and nobody is going to pay attention to them...at least in the US. But I wish them well and I'm sure they'll continue to scrape along the bottom as they always have.

Edited by BORG

Buick doesn't compete at the same prices level that Lincoln does either.

Buick is noting more than more expensive Mercury.

Nah, it's not at all. It would be if Buick were Chevys badge jobs. Actually, Buick is a little more Merkur in some ways, more like Lincoln in others. Buick is just a hodgepodge, at least Lincoln isn't that.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1