Ford Adds 2018 Expedition to Police Lineup

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/05/ford-adds-2018-expedition-to-police-lineup/

2018_Expedition_SSV-Jelly.jpg

For police duty, the SUV gets Ford's twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 coupled to a 10-speed automatic. Power then goes from that transmission to an electronic limited-slip differential with a 3.73 gear ratio.

The F-150 range is also updated. The same 5.0-liter V8 and 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine options remain, but they're now coupled to the 10-speed auto. The F-150 and Expedition also now feature engine stop-start functionality for improved gas mileage. The pickups are still available in extended cab and quad cab configurations with either two or four full doors

The 2018 5.0 police duty F-150 now gets the 10-speed trans? That's interesting. Maybe the rest of the lineup will too.

I didn't realize it didn't have it already. I'm sure the 10-speed will come pretty much across the board in the trucks over time, but maybe it's just a volume thing right now......police units will represent relatively small volume, so makes it an easy first run before they can produce more. Just a guess though.

Dunwoody GA a close in suburban/urban city in Metro Atlanta got Chevy Tahoes for all their patrol cars which seems like overkill. For vehicles racking up so many daily miles I'd prefer to see more efficient police vehicles. A couple Expeditions or Tahoes for special uses makes sense but for every patrol vehicle?

I recall the Taurus PI being touted for being 35% more efficient at idle. Important since police cars spend most of their time at idle. Not sure how Stop and Start would interact with the need to idle.

http://gas2.org/2012/03/16/fords-police-cars-show-35-idle-improvement-over-crown-vics/

"the new Interceptor vehicles suck down 35% less fuel. Some studies estimate that police cars can spend 6.7 hours of every 10 hour shift sitting at idle. That’s a lot of wasted fuel, and depending on the size of the police fleet, departments could see savings of hundreds of thousands of dollars every year."

thought this "liberal" statement was funny - though i think anti idle laws are great, at least in dense areas.

"While anti-idling laws have been passed in many liberal states and cities,"

Dunwoody GA a close in suburban/urban city in Metro Atlanta got Chevy Tahoes for all their patrol cars which seems like overkill. For vehicles racking up so many daily miles I'd prefer to see more efficient police vehicles. A couple Expeditions or Tahoes for special uses makes sense but for every patrol vehicle?

I recall the Taurus PI being touted for being 35% more efficient at idle. Important since police cars spend most of their time at idle. Not sure how Stop and Start would interact with the need to idle.

http://gas2.org/2012/03/16/fords-police-cars-show-35-idle-improvement-over-crown-vics/

"the new Interceptor vehicles suck down 35% less fuel. Some studies estimate that police cars can spend 6.7 hours of every 10 hour shift sitting at idle. That’s a lot of wasted fuel, and depending on the size of the police fleet, departments could see savings of hundreds of thousands of dollars every year."

thought this "liberal" statement was funny - though i think anti idle laws are great, at least in dense areas.

"While anti-idling laws have been passed in many liberal states and cities,"

Stop-Start systems help more in traffic where you're sitting for only a matter of seconds or minutes at most, as the engine has to kick back on after a minute or two to run everything. So while it may turn off while idling for a bit, it'll still have to kick back on and idle again.

Dunwoody GA a close in suburban/urban city in Metro Atlanta got Chevy Tahoes for all their patrol cars which seems like overkill. For vehicles racking up so many daily miles I'd prefer to see more efficient police vehicles. A couple Expeditions or Tahoes for special uses makes sense but for every patrol car?

Their theory could be that the total cost of ownership is better due to the better resale of the Tahoes. We would have to see the numbers to see if that proves true. Edited by tbone

Their theory could be that the total cost of ownership is better due to the better resale of the Tahoes. We would have to see the numbers to see if that proves true.

It doesn't, the reason why so many police agencies are going to Tahoe's is the fact the cops are just to Fat to fit in smaller cars. There was a township outside of Detroit where the Chief said that in an open meeting it is also that they just like them better and they don't have to pay for them. Local police are some of the biggest cry babies there are a Tahoe is 5-7K more than an Explorer and 8-10K more than a Charger. http://www.michigan.gov/localgov/0,4602,7-194--213244--,00.html

In my area, the Police Interceptor Utility seems to be the vehicle of choice, with both local Sheriff's Offices and State Police buying them for general patrol duties, and a handful of Tahoes for specialized duty (K-9, Commercial Vehicle Enforcement, etc.) Maryland State Police has been switching to the Police Interceptor Utility, only without the Olive secondary color they had been buying on sedans.

33728308081_ae265d9448_b.jpg

19d8jmdqwqp7xjpg.jpg

The next gen Expedition is also a lot bigger than current Tahoe

the longer wheelbase is going to make a lot of difference with

getting people in and out of the rear seat - an important consideration

Thinking that a longer wheelbase Fusion would be less disruptive to build

than say, adding a new CD4 Taurus while giving better space utilisation

Edited by jpd80

This is how the new Fusion is going to work at Idle. I like it. Less exhaust and fuel used.

The secret to its fuel savings, though, comes when the car is stopped by the side of the road. The gas engine shuts down for four minutes at a time, while the electric motor continues to power the squad car’s lights, laptop computer, radio and climate controls. After resting, the engine automatically fires up for two minutes to recharge the battery. That process, repeated over the many hours a police car sits idle, drastically reduces fuel consumption, Hinds said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-10/warning-to-crooks-new-ford-cop-car-may-be-green-but-it-s-fast?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=bd&utm_campaign=headline&cmpId=yhoo.headline&yptr=yahoo

Edited by Fordowner