Potential 2019 Ranger Raptor spotted testing

Here's my concern. I want a mid-size truck that can comfortably tow 7000 lbs, carry five people and be reasonably capable off-road. But I don't need or want the bulk of a full-size. If I did I would have bought an F-150 a long time ago. I also would like that truck to get decent fuel mileage but I am not interested in the extra costs (and odors) associated with a diesel. I also do not believe a 4 cylinder EcoBoost can do all of those things. I think it would be on the turbo most of the time when towing which would kill fuel mileage. I don't tow that kind of weight on a regular basis but when I do I don't want any drama. A coil spring rear suspension ala Everest would be great for ride and handling and perhaps off-road but it would probably compromise its towing capabilities. If an FX4 crewcab model is offered and, like the Aussie version, is based on the XLT with its leaf spring rear suspension and if it is available with an EcoBoost V6 that would be my preference.

The 2.3LEB in the Explorer is only rated to 2000 lbs while the 3.5L NA V6 goes to 5000, so I think you're right about not being able to tow 7K with the 2.3EB. I'm sure they'll offer the 3.5 or 3.3 NA V6 or the 2.7LEB which should be able to tow 7K.

Here's my concern. I want a mid-size truck that can comfortably tow 7000 lbs, carry five people and be reasonably capable off-road. But I don't need or want the bulk of a full-size.

With the 5 person and 7000 lbs requirement, if you're doing both at the same time, you might have required yourself to get a full size. Heck, some full size trucks can't do that.

Here's my concern. I want a mid-size truck that can comfortably tow 7000 lbs, carry five people and be reasonably capable off-road. But I don't need or want the bulk of a full-size. If I did I would have bought an F-150 a long time ago. I also would like that truck to get decent fuel mileage but I am not interested in the extra costs (and odors) associated with a diesel. I also do not believe a 4 cylinder EcoBoost can do all of those things. I think it would be on the turbo most of the time when towing which would kill fuel mileage. I don't tow that kind of weight on a regular basis but when I do I don't want any drama. A coil spring rear suspension ala Everest would be great for ride and handling and perhaps off-road but it would probably compromise its towing capabilities. If an FX4 crewcab model is offered and, like the Aussie version, is based on the XLT with its leaf spring rear suspension and if it is available with an EcoBoost V6 that would be my preference.

With the 5 person and 7000 lbs requirement, if you're doing both at the same time, you might have required yourself to get a full size. Heck, some full size trucks can't do that.

^^^ This

5 people at an average of 150 lbs is 750 lbs of payload eaten up with people.

To tow 7k lbs, you need 700 - 1100 lbs of tongue weight. Add in the weight of the hitch, and the fact that the tongue weight is behind the axle, and you are looking at 1750-2250 lbs of payload at a minimum. That is if you have zero cargo in the bed of the truck. I don't see that happening with a decently loaded Ranger.

That load is not remotely possible with a loaded Ram EcoDiesel half ton (think < 1000 lbs payload in that truck). Heck, my '08 F250 diesel only had a payload of 1999 lbs.

7000 lbs behind a f150 is not what I'd call "drama-free". That's a serious amount of trailer, past the point that you really start to notice the engine/transmission working to maintain speed up hills. Probably enough to have to manually intervene in the transmission's shift schedule if you want to hope to maintain speed up a steep hill.

7000 is a bit much for a Ranger. I'd be looking at a 3.5eb F150 at the minimum if you want drama-free towing performance. Even then an F-250 would be better for that much trailer.

The max tow rating on T6 Ranger is 7,700 lb but once you add crew cab

and then add passengers, luggage, I think you might start to run foul

of gross combined weight rating.

However, I have seen lots of cases where people tow large caravans, boats with crew cab Rangers

and a couple of passengers, so provided that you're not loaded to the max, I think it's doable and the

diesels are great in that situation, they just dig in and go, fall back a little on the steeper grades.

Edited by jpd80

Even with my V8 Sport Trac the worst I have ever tried is three adults in the truck while pulling an 18 foot box trailer with my 67 Ranchero inside. I could still pass semis on the hills in western PA on I-80 although it definitely struggles on the steeper grades. I would at least hope to do as well as that with a 4x4 crewcab Ranger. I might do something like that once a year at worst but I still would like to have the capability without resorting to a diesel or full-size truck for the other 364 days a year. BTW, I can stop the truck from 60 mph with the electric trailer brakes alone. I've done it just to prove I could. LOL