Ford's $28 billion cash pile doesn't buy love on Wall Street

I predict that full BEVs will remain niches/second vehicles until we can recharge a 200 mile range in 15 minutes or less. Otherwise it will be PHEVs.

None of this is rocket science. It just comes down to the economics of selling enough vehicles to support a BEV specific platform.

If Ford, or any traditional automakers for that matter, wants to push BEVs, they can set up a free loaner program (or a low cost but wider selection one): drop off your BEV at your dealership, drive away in a regular car for your vacation trip.

Tesla can't/don't want to do this, but Ford definitely can - they just need the right BEV, affordable and profitable.

• Like 1

If Ford, or any traditional automakers for that matter, wants to push BEVs, they can set up a free loaner program (or a low cost but wider selection one): drop off your BEV at your dealership, drive away in a regular car for your vacation trip.

Tesla can't/don't want to do this, but Ford definitely can - they just need the right BEV, affordable and profitable.

Yes they could and it would be great for consumers, but what would Ford get out of it? They won't be making big money from BEVs for quite some time.

I agree, it's not the right time for Ford now.

All I'm saying is, people are worried Ford will be left behind on this EV movement, but there are many ways to catch up - this way may even let them cut in to the "front of line" when they are ready (have the right BEV), to push BEV to mass market when infrastructure are not totally ready.

You keep missing the point. It doesn’t matter what Wall Street thinks. Investors have no power. Fields was not let go because of the stock price. He was let go because he didn’t invest in products, he hoarded too much cash waiting on a downturn that never happened and put Ford way behind the competition in several important markets with too much cost cutting. And he pissed off Silicon Valley. Stock price was just the last straw/excuse and was a symptom of the aforementioned missteps. When Mulally was running Ford and the stock price was languishing it wasn’t a problem because he was leading the company in the right direction.

^^^This.

Wall Street and the Analysts (which sounds like a really bad cover band) would like you to think that Ford's stock price was the reason Fields got axed, but that dog won't hunt. The people who matter all have one thing in common (their family name is on the company) and there is no logical reason for them to care what the stock price is because they're not selling their stock--that stock is what gives them the control.

Like Toyota and other Asian car makers, Ford has Focus plants around the world.

There's just no way to build a compact car in Detroit that starts at $17K with the most popular version

a few thousand higher especially when buyers then expect incentives between $2K and $4K...

Ford's people tried to explain this to AM but he wasn't listening. Sure similar cars are made in German and Thailand

but the difference is richer product mix in Germany and $9/day labor in Thailand.I won't even begin with China...

So the reason why we don't see a compact in Detroit is two fold,

1. The cost of establishing a production plan (~$500 M) and the cost of labor to operate it

2. The opportunity cost of redirecting that $500M to production with a better chance of higher profit

while sourcing new Focus models from existing retooled plants in China and Germany..

All your arguments go away when building a reliable product. Like your previous mentioned Japanese examples, see Corolla and Civic. They can even make midsize cars in the USA too.

^^^This.

Wall Street and the Analysts (which sounds like a really bad cover band) would like you to think that Ford's stock price was the reason Fields got axed, but that dog won't hunt. The people who matter all have one thing in common (their family name is on the company) and there is no logical reason for them to care what the stock price is because they're not selling their stock--that stock is what gives them the control.

What's much more important to the Ford family than the stock price is the dividend. They make billions on dividends. What pays those dividends? Profits. That's why I'm comfortable with Ford as a large percentage of my ROTH portfolio. It's a fairly safe way to guarantee 4-5% rates of return for years to come.

What's much more important to the Ford family than the stock price is the dividend. They make billions on dividends. What pays those dividends? Profits. That's why I'm comfortable with Ford as a large percentage of my ROTH portfolio. It's a fairly safe way to guarantee 4-5% rates of return for years to come.

since I retired I agree completely with you and the Ford family on this, not selling unless we have a catastrophic occurrence and then it probably won't matter

I had a long talk with my engineering friend who works in Ford’s electric/hybrid section last Saturday at a wedding. After talking to her (sorry, no details) you’ll be well satisfied by what Ford is planning in electrics. She’s currently on her 30th year and was looking at retirement, but now just may put that off. She’s even considering applying to be on Team Edison.

Ford tends to get behind, and then leap ahead of everyone with something that spreads quickly across the lineup......a perfect example was SYNC. They were behind others with in-car tech, and then launched SYNC and spread it across the lineup and then they were known for it. I predict the same with electrics.....they're "behind" now, but when they do launch products, it'll be across the board moves.

• Like 2