Jump to content

None






mustangchief

Aviator GT Order

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, AUPilot08 said:

Anyone care to take a guess at what the 3/13 date is?

Prabably the blend or production date.  If it's in production you should be able to print out the window sticker for it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2020 at 8:03 PM, rampagex7 said:

 

No actually, I'm not oversimplifying the hydro cost at all.  My JuiceBox charger has built in software and app that constantly monitors the charging voltage and current tot he vehicle and calculates the EXACT amount of Kwh used (including losses based on actual EVSE efficiency).  The JuiceNet app and software also gives you consumption charts, historical usage graphs, etc. to track your hydro consumption and it will track multiple vehicles using the same charger to keep track of the hydro usage separately per vehicle.  Plus I programmed charger software so that it will ONLY charge the vehicle during off-peak hours (from 7pm-7am) so that the hydro rate is cheaper @ $0.10/Kwh (not including Ontario 8% provinical rebate on your bill).

 

I don't think it's appropriate to include the upfront cost of the charger in the ongoing hydro consumption calculations because that's technically an addition/appliance to my home (like buying a stove or fridge).

 

I also have a 2019 Fusion Energi PHEV as a company car at work and I will admit the efficiency is phenomenal.  To date we've clocked about 7800km on the car and are only on our 5th tank of gas.  Our total amount of gas put in to date 209L, total hydro usage 668Kwh and total combined cost of both gas and hydro is about $330. 

My point was that 10.1 cents is not an accurate unit price as it doesn’t include the astronomical delivery charge we have to pay. Sorry if I insulted you in some way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Prabably the blend or production date.  If it's in production you should be able to print out the window sticker for it now.

 

Yes, I can see and print the window sticker now. Looks like it's the blend date. 

Screenshot_20200309-210216.thumb.png.460175f476afdd43b4879fbf7e800e3b.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, wjwolf said:

Nice set up...we have a Blue Diamond GT and should be receiving in 3 weeks or so. Can you share the max amp rating requirement for the 240 volt circuit?

Appreciate the help here.....

 

The onboard charger on the Aviator is rated for about 3.7KW at Level 2 charging, so at 240V it will draw around 15A.  I've been plugging mine in daily for over a month and even with battery depleted to 0% the max charge current I've ever seen it go to was 15.6A.  (see screenshot below)  My JuiceBox charging station is connected to a 50A breaker and rated to supply up to 40A at 240V; however, the vehicle's on board AC/DC charging module that actually charges the battery can only handle a max 3.7KW so it will not draw more than 15-16A regardless of how much amperage is available.  If you are only charging your Aviator and nothing else you would be fine with 20A supply at 240V.

 

My 2019 Fusion Energi has the exact same 3.7KW rating because it only draws about 14.8 - 15.2A max when charging at Level 2 (240V).

 

As a side note for anyone that may not know, on PHEV's and pure Electric Cars the external portable Level 1 charger or Level 2 charging station or EVSE (Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment) as it is technically called, does not actually charge the car's battery at all because the EVSE is supplying 120 - 240 AC power and the battery needs to be charged with DC power.  All the EVSE does is negotiate with the car the amount of current to supply at the available voltage and then the car has an onboard charging module that converts the AC to DC voltage (at whatever DC voltage the battery pack requires) and based on the size of the onboard charging module built into the car it can only handle up to a certain KW rating.  Most PHEV's and BEV's have onboard AC/DC charging modules that can handle between 3 - 10KW from Level 1 or Level 2 AC charging stations.  I've heard that Teslas have much bigger onboard AC/DC charging modules that can handle 19KW or up 80A from a Level 2 (240V) charging station.  The only way to charge your car faster is with a DC fast charging station (Tesla supercharger, CCS, or Chademo) if the car supports DC fast charging.  DC fast charging bypasses the car's onboard AC/DC charging module and charges the high voltage battery pack directly.  That's why a DC fast charging station can charge the battery to 80% in like 15-20 minutes. 

 

Since the Aviator doesn't support DC charging the best you're gonna get is 15-16A at 240V which takes about 3.5 - 3.75 hours to fully charge the battery.

IMG_2965.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

The tag on the oem charging cable says 120-240v, 12-16a... I'm installing a 240v 20a breaker and outlet.  Manual says to use a dedicated circuit.  I removed the 240v adapter and have been charging it on 120v so far, but it takes a lot longer.  The cable comes with a storage big to keep in the car, so it's nice having the 120 option when 240 isn't available.

 

Another Blue Diamond... welcome to the club!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome looking at hanging our charger from the ceiling. not able to locate many for this application any thoughts and or comments on this one?   EVoCharge EVOREEL Cable Management - J1772 Inlet Adapter Configuration (30 Amp, Electric Vehicle Charge Cable Management((22 ft. EV Charge Cable, 20 ft. Interconnect Length  Amazon

 

 

Again Appreciate it  CoolScoop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Professor1234 said:

My point was that 10.1 cents is not an accurate unit price as it doesn’t include the astronomical delivery charge we have to pay. Sorry if I insulted you in some way. 

 

I'm not insulted at all and enjoy healthy debate on the issue.  Yes you're correct that net effect on the overall hydro cost with the delivery/regulatory/HST added would make it higher than $.10/Kwh; however, that is largely offset by the Ontario electricity rebate on your bill so that's why I would exclude it from my cost calculations.  On my last hydro bill the amount for delivery and regulatory was $43.52 and the Ontario rebate was a $40.55 credit so I'd call that a wash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, rampagex7 said:

Since the Aviator doesn't support DC charging the best you're gonna get is 15-16A at 240V which takes about 3.5 - 3.75 hours to fully charge the battery.

Thanks for the great info... I understand how it works much better now!!!  Sounds like there's really no need to invest in an expensive charging station for the GT since it wouldn't charge any faster than the oem cable at 240V.  I ordered a 240V 20A industrial grade single outlet from Amazon in gray to match the faceplate that comes with the charging cable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rampagex7 said:

Yes you're correct that net effect on the overall hydro cost with the delivery/regulatory/HST added would make it higher than $.10/Kwh; however, that is largely offset by the Ontario electricity rebate on your bill so that's why I would exclude it from my cost calculations.

Wow, your hydro plant costs sound way more complicated than our coal or natural gas plant costs... I hope they do all those calculations for you on your electric bill, lol!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Thanks for the great info... I understand how it works much better now!!!  Sounds like there's really no need to invest in an expensive charging station for the GT since it wouldn't charge any faster than the oem cable at 240V.  I ordered a 240V 20A industrial grade single outlet from Amazon in gray to match the faceplate that comes with the charging cable. 

 

My pleasure. 

 

If anyone's interested, here's an excellent youtube video that explains how EV charging works:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wjwolf said:

Nice set up...we have a Blue Diamond GT and should be receiving in 3 weeks or so. Can you share the max amp rating requirement for the 240 volt circuit?

Appreciate the help here.....

You can use a 20amp on either as coolscoop said.  If you are running a new circuit, install a 50amp circuit for future multi car or a nice electric welder😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, wjwolf said:

Awesome looking at hanging our charger from the ceiling. not able to locate many for this application any thoughts and or comments on this one?   EVoCharge EVOREEL Cable Management - J1772 Inlet Adapter Configuration (30 Amp, Electric Vehicle Charge Cable Management((22 ft. EV Charge Cable, 20 ft. Interconnect Length  Amazon

 

 

Again Appreciate it  CoolScoop

Read the excellent info rampagex7 provided above... an expensive chraging station like this won't be any faster than the charging cable kit that comes with the GT at 240V.  A heavy duty 240V 20A single round outlet is under 20 bucks and the kit comes with a special outlet faceplate.  So unless you need it for the overhead feature, you can just install a new outlet and you're good to go.

Edited by CoolScoop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Read the excellent info rampagex7 provided above... an expensive chraging station like this won't be any faster than the charging cable kit that comes with the GT at 240V.  A heavy duty 240V 20A single round outlet is under 20 bucks and the kit comes with a special outlet faceplate.  So unless you need it for the overhead feature, you can just install a new outlet and you're good to go.

 

CoolScoop,

    Would you mind posting a picture of the wall-plug end of the cable that is supplied by Lincoln?  Is it coming with a 240V/20A straight blade, or twistlock configuration?

 

HRG

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

 

CoolScoop,

    Would you mind posting a picture of the wall-plug end of the cable that is supplied by Lincoln?  Is it coming with a 240V/20A straight blade, or twistlock configuration?

 

HRG

 

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/5461-gy

 

I can take some pictures tonight.  But for now here's the outlet I ordered from Amazon.  They had it in gray to match the faceplate that comes with the charging cable kit.  The faceplate has parallel tabs that help lock the plug assembly in place when you push it straight in.

Edited by CoolScoop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

https://www.leviton.com/en/products/5461-gy

 

I can take some pictures tonight.  But for now here's the outlet I ordered from Amazon.  They had it in gray that matches the faceplate that comes with the charging cable kit.  The faceplate has parallel tabs that help lock in the plug assembly.

 

Thanks!

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just stumbled across these links!!!  This is the exact charging cable kit that comes with the GT except its all black and comes with an outlet faceplate instead of the cord hanger.  Plus the pdf instructions give a lot more info than what Lincoln provides:

 

https://store.evsolutions.com/turbocord-dual-120240v-plug-in-ev-charger-p28.aspx

 

http://www.evelectricity.com/charging/stations/guide/turbocord/turbo-cord-dual.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Would you mind posting a picture of the wall-plug end of the cable that is supplied by Lincoln?

HotRunrGuy - see my post above for links to charging kit details and manual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

HotRunrGuy - see my post above for links to charging kit details and manual.

 

Thanks, again!

 

HRG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

 

CoolScoop,

    Would you mind posting a picture of the wall-plug end of the cable that is supplied by Lincoln?  Is it coming with a 240V/20A straight blade, or twistlock configuration?

 

HRG 

 

 

Seeing all the posts about the OEM Lincoln charging cable I never even bothered to take mine out of the package (since I had existing charging station) but finally did to see .  See photos below of the what the front/back of the wall connector adapter looks like.  You can use a standard 15A 120V plug without the adapter otherwise if add the adapter it converts it to a NEMA 6-20R plug which is rated for 240V 20A receptacle.

 

It's made by Webasto which makes a lot of the OEM charging equipment for most major auto manufacturers.

 

It's way better than the Ford branded one that came with my Fusion Energi which only has standard 120V 15A plug at least with the Lincoln one you have the choice to 120 or 240 with the adapter and it comes with a nice carrying case too.

 

If you don't want to go through the expense of installing a charging station, CoolScoop is right you can just install the 240V/20A plug and use the Lincoln charging cable all the time and you will actually get the full charging capability at 240V.

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2966.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an email from the dealer this AM that the dealership was able to get an allocation for a GT Aviator, and as a result Lincoln has accepted our custom order and it is in the queue for production!  Seems like good news, though how long until we actually get the car is anyone's guess I imagine.  Coincidence that I spoke w/ a Lincoln concierge earlier this AM to do a status check?  Timing seems like more than coincidence!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Efmnc said:

Had an email from the dealer this AM that the dealership was able to get an allocation for a GT Aviator, and as a result Lincoln has accepted our custom order and it is in the queue for production!  Seems like good news, though how long until we actually get the car is anyone's guess I imagine.  Coincidence that I spoke w/ a Lincoln concierge earlier this AM to do a status check?  Timing seems like more than coincidence!

Will it be Blue Diamond or another color?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Will it be Blue Diamond or another color?

They didn't say anything about it not being the Blue Diamond color, so I assume that it is still going to be Blue Diamond.  Maybe they will say otherwise when it eventually goes into production.

I assume I won't have a VIN number until it actually goes into production, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Efmnc said:

They didn't say anything about it not being the Blue Diamond color, so I assume that it is still going to be Blue Diamond.  Maybe they will say otherwise when it eventually goes into production.

I assume I won't have a VIN number until it actually goes into production, correct?

You should get the VIN whenever its scheduled.  That usually happens on a Thursday.  You'll probably be scheduled fairly soon since Blue Diamond is being balanced out early:

2020 LINCOLN AVIATOR

  • Magnetic Metallic (J7) - 05/24/2020 - Balance Out Date
Edited by CoolScoop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I ordered a GT Black Label in May of 2019, got a VIN number a few months ago, 5LMYJ9YY4LGL18870, can someone track this vehicle for me, no help from the dealer??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

You should get the VIN whenever its scheduled.  That usually happens on a Thursday.  You'll probably be scheduled fairly soon since Blue Diamond is being balanced out early:

2020 LINCOLN AVIATOR

  • Magnetic Metallic (J7) - 05/24/2020 - Balance Out Date

I don’t know what “balance out” means, but the rest of what you said sounds exciting :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×