Production Spec 2008 Ford Focus Coupe!

wescoent

LOL! sixcav, you are the worst loser ever. Easily.

When my name's in the sentence about "shoulder lines", that's a bit of a direct implication. You failed again, you proved to be full of crap again, and your little game show bit just made it funnier!

Here's a tip: quit being a child (unless, as I suspect, you are one). Don't follow up previosu rants about not reading my posts and/or how I need a hobby with rants that backfire, then claim "not to care". You contradict yourself constantly, adn I'm getting to play "smack the moron" almost daily with you providing endless ammunition.

Just talk cars, without spinning anyone's opinions...and it goes away.

As for silvrst...I've yet to see him engage anything like your recent rantings. I agree with and/or disagree with him regularly, and he had a tough time with his Focus.

Look at his posts, look at yours, and the lesson ought to be pretty clear.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet that the SVT car owner was racing and beating on it. And of course, parts break if a car is abused. I know how 'car guys' drive like they are always racing and weave in and out of traffic.

My car went autocrossing 3-4 times and was mostly regulated to 20 mile driving loop to and from work that avg 50-60 mph with light traffic and a couple traffic lights. The 98 Mustang GT I had previously just had its starter replaced because it stuck when it was below freezing and some trim issues before I replaced it before with the SVT Focus, and it had even a longer drive to work, due to work I lived at the time.

The problems I had with my SVT Focus common with other SVT Foci, not owner related...which is a shame since it was a great car when it did run...

IIRC, other than the previous generation Civic Si hatchback, there has been no Civic hatch for two generations now (current generation and previous generation). They simply don't sell in America nearly as well as a similarly priced coupe. I happen to love the look of the current Focus hatchback, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a coupe was a much better seller. Look at how poorly the Focus SVT hatch sold.

the SVT focus was only avaiable with a manual. thats whay they couldn't sell 25,000 that they wanted.

Lets see, comparing Apples to Oranges here:

Focus:

13 Recalls in first year of Production

backwards/ugly restyling in 05

Price pressure of trying to sell a C car at B Car prices

Increased competion

Ranger:

13 years since last major update!

Market shrinking, due to people going to fullsized trucks or SUV's

No matter how you cut it, Ford has Seriously fucked up from say 1998 till just recently with its products (with only the 04 F-Series and 05 Mustang being bright spots). That isn't going to change over night either.

how is ths apples to oranges.

you neglect a product, with "good enough" attiude and your sales fall. nuff said

I was looking at the spy shots of the 08 Focus and got to thinking, why would Ford add a coupe and drop the 3-door, 5-door & Wagon? To me, this leaves a big hole in Ford’s lineup. Then, I thought it would leave space for a Focus C-Max or Mazda5 type vehicle.

Ford currently does not have a competitor for the PTCruiser, HHR, Matrix, Caliber, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Ford larger “C†5 door (maybe even on the C2 chassis), like an HHR, to be introduced at one of the shows this year and it also wouldn’t surprise me if they also show a Mercury version.

This is purely speculation on my part. To me, it would make sense for Ford to replace the 3-door, 5-door & Wagon with one more “premium†model like Toyota has done with the Corolla and Matrix. Nobody would spend over $20K on a Corolla wagon, but they sell a ton of $20K+ Matrices. Wouldn’t it be nice if Ford could do that too?

I was looking at the spy shots of the 08 Focus and got to thinking, why would Ford add a coupe and drop the 3-door, 5-door & Wagon? To me, this leaves a big hole in Ford’s lineup. Then, I thought it would leave space for a Focus C-Max or Mazda5 type vehicle.

Ford currently does not have a competitor for the PTCruiser, HHR, Matrix, Caliber, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Ford larger “C” 5 door (maybe even on the C2 chassis), like an HHR, to be introduced at one of the shows this year and it also wouldn’t surprise me if they also show a Mercury version.

This is purely speculation on my part. To me, it would make sense for Ford to replace the 3-door, 5-door & Wagon with one more “premium” model like Toyota has done with the Corolla and Matrix. Nobody would spend over $20K on a Corolla wagon, but they sell a ton of $20K+ Matrices. Wouldn’t it be nice if Ford could do that too?

the Wagon should have survived - it is a timeless design. However the hatches have a huge liability - their whole tail is structural - there is no easy way to redesign a rear of the hatch without rebuilding the chasis - and of cuourse that gets extremely expensive.

you can see how badly the 05 redesign looked on the Hatches ... and this would be no different ...

unfortunately, this was designed to be on a budget - and so it shows - redesigning a chasis from ground up was not an option.. heck , look the coupe doors are from the Zx3 ... and the coupe shares as many components with the sedan as possible. The trunk on the Sedan/Coupe is not structural, however - the rear window is, and the braces behind the rear seats are - however the rest is easily redeisigned, making the coupe a much cheaper version to build.

Besides - with the exception of Mini, Rio, Bettle and Rabbit, there is no other 3door hatch left .. automakers seem to be retrieving to the 2 door coupes. Wagon/5door hatches are a different story, but 3doors are getting rare - it seems Americans do love their trunks.

I do hope the hatches return for the 2010 C2 Focus.

Igor

Edited by igor

"Besides - with the exception of Mini, Rio, Bettle and Rabbit, there is no other 3door hatch left"

Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Nissan Versa. Hatches the lot. Some have 4 doors, but the hatch is still very much a part of Asian marketing.

Sure hope the B-car offers a hatch.

Edited by Edstock

I still think the reason they went ahead and cancelled the 3 door, 5 door and wagon is because they have a PTCruiser/HHR/Matrix competitor coming. Something like this...

06.jpg

...but with a more American look.

If it doesnt come soon, I'm sure it will come when we get C2. Besides, how hard could it be to put a C-Max type body on the C170? Like I said before, I have nothing to base this on, it's just a feeling I got. With as many HHR's, Matrices, Calibers, etc being sold, I can't imagine that Ford would get completely out of such a hot market.

If that is the case, then why not wait until AFTER it is available?

Good point. Probably the same reason why there was a Zephyr then MKZ. Besides, a new 5 door CUV could be available for 08 after the coupe & sedan debut. Maybe Ford thinks the Escape will pick up where the Focus 5 door & wagon left off, but I hope not. Ford needs a C sized 5 door and a crossover like the C-Max with American styling, even on the C170, would do very well.

With the Focus being built at just one plant, I would assume that wagon and hatch volume (do we have confirmation they're cancelled, anyway?), is going to be replaced by coupe volume.

Ford's market research must've indicated enough demand for the coupe to justify engineering it.

Also, bear in mind that when these plans were being hatched, Ford's Ecosport was going to be sold alongside the Focus, probably for about the same cost as the Focus wagon. Ford may have reasoned that hatch and wagon volume would shift to the Ecosport.

Edited by RichardJensen

"Besides - with the exception of Mini, Rio, Bettle and Rabbit, there is no other 3door hatch left"

Honda Fit, Toyota Yaris, Suzuki Swift, Nissan Versa. Hatches the lot. Some have 4 doors, but the hatch is still very much a part of Asian marketing.

Sure hope the B-car offers a hatch.

YARIS is the only one with 3 doors from those ....

the 3doors are really few and far between ,...

I love 3doors - but I Will not fight for their existence ... especially not on a 2 MY stop gap ...

Igor

With the Focus being built at just one plant, I would assume that wagon and hatch volume (do we have confirmation they're cancelled, anyway?), is going to be replaced by coupe volume.

Ford's market research must've indicated enough demand for the coupe to justify engineering it.

Also, bear in mind that when these plans were being hatched, Ford's Ecosport was going to be sold alongside the Focus, probably for about the same cost as the Focus wagon. Ford may have reasoned that hatch and wagon volume would shift to the Ecosport.

Wagon was just confirmed done after November 20th.

IT was in a diferent thread, where someone posted a lietter Ford sent to dealers, advising them, that there will be no Wagon orders filled aftr that date.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/ShowWhatsNewItem.asp?id=359

Igor

Edited by igor

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/03/rip-ford-focus-wagon/

Autoblog reported today that ONLY the wagon will get the axe and it will be replaced by the coupe.

WTF?

I still think the hatch is done for the time being...the sheetmetal aft of the front doors would have to be changed to incorporate the new reversed character line that's been seen on the coupe and sedan.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/03/rip-ford-focus-wagon/

Autoblog reported today that ONLY the wagon will get the axe and it will be replaced by the coupe.

I reported here first. Autoblog and Leftlane News must read the BON forums. :P

Maybe not "officially", but with not seeing a single wagon mule and with this info from the Ford Fleet website, it doesn't look good for the ole'wagon. It pretty much says the wagon is done. But, we haven't seen a single 3 or 5 door HB mule either, but this quote says that they are "high-volume" models. Now I'm more confused...

You can see it here.

Final orders for Focus Wagon due by November 20th

Consumer demand for small fuel-efficient cars is up, so we have increased production of Focus to meet that demand, and we're aligning our resources around the high-volume models, the 4-door sedan and 3 and 5-door hatchbacks. Therefore, the 2007 Focus wagon will go out of production in December of this year. The wagon model has consistently been the lowest volume model of the lineup, with approximately 8% of the total volume, therefore with renewed consumer interest in small cars due to higher gas prices, we want to align our product offerings with customer demand.