Production Spec 2008 Ford Focus Coupe!

wescoent

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

American marketing weasels hate small hatchbacks because they cost a lot more to design and build than a trunk sedan.

Thus, if there's any way to rationalize discontinuing hatches, it will happen.

You see, a hatch unitized body loses significant torsional rigidity with the loss of the C pillar bulkhead/structural 'ring' that exists behind the rear seat in a trunk sedan. Then there's a heavy multi-component hatch with hardware.

Honda has tried repeatedly to cancel the Civic hatch, which is still in production, I believe.

IMHO the Focus could go without a hatch, especially if the B-car offers one.

MGallun: "Hatches are gay!"

DCK: "How old are you?"

MGallun: "32"

DCK: " :huh: "

Yeah, I'm embarassed he's a fellow Fusion owner too. I like to think the people who drive the same car as me represent a spectrum of intelligent people who can say something better than "hatches are gay." At least something better than the dumb "that's gay" crap.

Garrulous

Affinity

Tacit

Tangential

Asinine

Corollary

Assauge

I'm hoping most people on this board know the meanings of each and every one of those words, among others in their vocabulary. (If you get the reference for those word choices, double points for you).

Edited by Roadrunner

Yeah, I'm embarassed he's a fellow Fusion owner too. I like to think the people who drive the same car as me represent a spectrum of intelligent people who can say something better than "hatches are gay." At least something better than the dumb "that's gay" crap.

Garrulous

Affinity

Tacit

Tangential

Asinine

Corollary

Assauge

I'm hoping most people on this board know the meanings of each and every one of those words, among others in their vocabulary. (If you get the reference for those word choices, double points for you).

lol

Well up untill a couple months ago, Ford wasn't planning to bring the C2 to the States, now all indications are showing that will happen in the next couple years. Not to mention that all the development work for the 2008 model was done 3-4 years ago and was already beyond the stopping point, why kill it and let sales suffer even more till the C2 gets here? It doesnt make a lick of sense for Ford to bring over a 2-3 year old platform in the form of the C1 that wasn't even designed for the North American market (to make profit) "Just because". They are doing the best thing they can now...bringing out a Seriously updated C170 platform, which I bet will offer some of what the C1 offers to hold over and maybe even raise sales till the C2 platform is ready for North America and Europe.

I understand how you feel, you have no real evidence that Ford is going to do anything?

I would know because in 2002 As I Was the News editor of Focaljet.com, I also believed the 2005 Focus would be C1, and not C170. It was common belief that Ford would do the "right" thing, and I did not want to believe Ford would ever be as shortsighted as they were.

The fact is we don't know, we don't know shit. Ford will do what it does. and the timetable for choosing a "next" platform. lessons learned, Ford is not what we want them to be.

Could C1 make a profit? who knows, but we do know that C170 can't. If C1 could have held the Focus price point They could have made money. I don't know.

Ford is fucked, they overspent on the this reskin, in a way this is good , they know they never make the money back on it, but they did it anyway. I would rather complain about the hideous coupe and lthe lack of hatches. than Ford negecting another product. SO The world keeps spinnign and Ford's sales will contine to fall because of the many, many mistakes of the past.

Even though the C170 is "old" it is still a very good contenter in the Small carline up thats "good" enough for the time being.

"Good" enough,

Ranger sales 350,000-> ~150,000 in 5years

Focus sales 280,000->180,000 4 years

This is an awesome philosphy.

The Focus probably will not be able to recover its market decline with this update, but it might be an opportunity to sever its dependency on fleet sales. Again, although nobody likes to accept it, lower sales isn't as meaningful as better retail sales.

I am very skeptical of the C2 Focus rumours. It most certainly will not be here by 2010 as some have speculated. Nothing is greenlit yet and Ford has a very tumultuous product plan that keeps getting delayed every time management is shaken up.

It is shocking to hear that the 2008 Focus was suppose to run 5 years when so much of the design is retained from the 2000 model.

It's so unfortunate to see Ford design handicapped by what they are forcing the designers to reuse. There is a lot of potential in the design language of the new Focus but it is spoiled by the recycled parts. The same applies to the new Escape which is a completely inadequate update for a vehicle of its age, the greenhouse is just not salvagable, it looks very outdated. It certainly can be argued that Ford is trying very hard to invest update budgets wisely, however it's at a significant competitive disadvantage if their products appear only partially updated. It's not like Ford is working with a well respect line, they need people to be surprised again and they can't do that by showing them the familiar.

Edited by Edgey

Garrulous

Affinity

Tacit

Tangential

Asinine

Corollary

Assauge

Well if something is gonna be gay then it beter look butch for me...

Edited by Watchdevil

Honda has tried repeatedly to cancel the Civic hatch, which is still in production, I believe.

IIRC, other than the previous generation Civic Si hatchback, there has been no Civic hatch for two generations now (current generation and previous generation). They simply don't sell in America nearly as well as a similarly priced coupe. I happen to love the look of the current Focus hatchback, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if a coupe was a much better seller. Look at how poorly the Focus SVT hatch sold.

"Good" enough,

Ranger sales 350,000-> ~150,000 in 5years

Focus sales 280,000->180,000 4 years

This is an awesome philosphy.

Lets see, comparing Apples to Oranges here:

Focus:

13 Recalls in first year of Production

backwards/ugly restyling in 05

Price pressure of trying to sell a C car at B Car prices

Increased competion

Ranger:

13 years since last major update!

Market shrinking, due to people going to fullsized trucks or SUV's

No matter how you cut it, Ford has Seriously fucked up from say 1998 till just recently with its products (with only the 04 F-Series and 05 Mustang being bright spots). That isn't going to change over night either.

It's so unfortunate to see Ford design handicapped by what they are forcing the designers to reuse. There is a lot of potential in the design language of the new Focus but it is spoiled by the recycled parts. The same applies to the new Escape which is a completely inadequate update for a vehicle of its age, the greenhouse is just not salvagable, it looks very outdated. It certainly can be argued that Ford is trying very hard to invest update budgets wisely, however it's at a significant competitive disadvantage if their products appear only partially updated. It's not like Ford is working with a well respect line, they need people to be surprised again and they can't do that by showing them the familiar.

These design changes are acceptable updates after 3 or 4 years but after a product run longer than 5 years mere facelifts are inadequate. The issue sometimes is not even the platform itself. Platforms can have longevity if they are well engineered. It's the look, style and content that often needs to be updated. Ford got a lot of use out of the Fox platform on so many vehicles. Then it got to the point it was time to make some platform improvements to coincide with body style changes. What did Ford do? They came out with a poliferation of FWD platforms for each mass produced model class, hoisted on us expensive but limited RWD platforms in a dying 2-door personal luxury class (Tbird/Cougar/Mark) then later abandoned that platform for another more expensive platform (Tbird/LS/S-type) that cannot be used to expand body style offerings in the more affordable larger sized vehicle segments. Now both those platforms are gone and another new platform was developed for the Mustang designed with seemingly no intentions of stretching it to accommodate larger roomy RWD vehicles. Meanwhile we are hoisted off a bunch of donor FWD platforms for mid and large size sedans which come up short on style, content and sophistication that does not make them necessarily world class nor as acceptable as say an Audi maxed out with AWD, performance and technical sophistication that makes it best in class. Ford has let Chrysler whip them with the Charger/300/Magnum. They are even offering now a stretched version of the 300 sedan. Chrysler was smart enough to see there was a missing RWD large sedan segment. They abandoned their old thoughts of FWD and brought us vehicles with various body styles, performance and option content and made them remarkably affordable to consumers.

The US market is not like Australia's where they keep the same old basic body shell and change stuff here and there to make people think it's new and improved. Even Austraila realizes now they have to change more often and thouroughly to compete in a world market, otherwise they would still be producing the Falcon as it looked in 1960.

Turning Ford around is like trying to turn around the Titanic before it hits the iceburg and sinks...

Edited by Watchdevil

Lets see, comparing Apples to Oranges here:

Focus:

13 Recalls in first year of Production

backwards/ugly restyling in 05

Price pressure of trying to sell a C car at B Car prices

Increased competion

Ranger:

13 years since last major update!

Market shrinking, due to people going to fullsized trucks or SUV's

No matter how you cut it, Ford has Seriously fucked up from say 1998 till just recently with its products (with only the 04 F-Series and 05 Mustang being bright spots). That isn't going to change over night either.

Gee Zana, it seems like when other people say the same things I say you have no dumb ass comments for them. I wonder why that is? I wonder why you just completely skip over it when other people say the Focus is ugly but I get your silly zanarant bullshit?

I'm going to go with, "He's a large type asshole" for $300 Alex.

lol

.!..

The Focus was and is boring, plain, cheap and ugly. Case closed. This refresh just comes off looking like they tried to jazz up a boring, plain, cheap and ugly car to trick people into buying it. Customers are more savy than that. This is what happens when you have design engineers who don't have a creative bone in their whole body, design a car. Then guys like you sit around and make dumb ass comments about how the shoulder line transitions into the C piller and the reverse cut detailing on the doors. lol Fuckin spare me. No one who walks onto the lot to buy a car sees that. They see total package. The total package either appeals or it doesn't. In this case it doesn't

Errr...after the first couple production years, the Focus won awards for quality. Welcome to the real world. :slap:

Welcome to my World:

02 SVT Focus

New clutch needed at 50K mile (mind you that was my 3rd car with a clutch)

4 DSI cables replaced

3 intakes replaced

ABS sensor bad

Check Engine light that would never go out, even though both 02 senors where replaced, according to codes I was pulling

Miscalaltious other crap I don't even care to remember about now

All this in under 4 years of ownership

Gee Zana, it seems like when other people say the same things I say you have no dumb ass comments for them. I wonder why that is? I wonder why you just completely skip over it when other people say the Focus is ugly but I get your silly zanarant bullshit?

I'm going to go with, "He's a large type asshole" for $300 Alex.

lol

.!..

The Focus was and is boring, plain, cheap and ugly. Case closed. This refresh just comes off looking like they tried to jazz up a boring, plain, cheap and ugly car to trick people into buying it. Customers are more savy than that. This is what happens when you have design engineers who don't have a creative bone in their whole body, design a car. Then guys like you sit around and make dumb ass comments about how the shoulder line transitions into the C piller and the reverse cut detailing on the doors. lol Fuckin spare me. No one who walks onto the lot to buy a car sees that. They see total package. The total package either appeals or it doesn't. In this case it doesn't

Why are you so totally determined to define "FILTHY LIAR"?

Find my comments about "shoulder lines" on the car, or any other such serious body line study...ooops, nothing there! I know, unlike you apparently, that I'm looking at test mules, and all I said was "potential".

You've tried to blow it up into more than that repeatedly, but hey-you're a filthy little liar!

Oh, wait...more you've ignored...I've said here over and over that the last refresh was too conservative-when have I argued ANYTHING in favor of its styling?

"Ooooh, sorry, Sixcav, your answer is incorrect. Mr. Zanatwork, you buzzed in...same category..."

"Who is the lying, pathetic, repeat-loser sixcav?"

"Correct Mr. ZanatWork!"

Congrats on adding "liar" to "profane moron", sixcav! Why is it that people determined to prove me wrong always have to lie about what I've posted? Are you really that horrifically stupid?

How you read all that b.s. into "potential"...wow, welcoome to the "Land of Make-Believe"....

Edited by ZanatWork

I really couldn't give a damn what your views are on the Focus Zana. You don't matter. Yes I know that wasn't you that made the comment about the transition c pillar thing. That was an in general comment, directed at a wide audience. But I can see how you thought that was just for you. It wasn't. Regardless, the point is, I don't really care what you think about the Focus, like it or not. I'm telling you what I think about it. If you like the damn thing, head down to your local Ford dealer and snatch one of those babies up. Additionally I couldn't give a rats ass if you don't like a few curse words here and there. I hope it pisses you off. This is the real world you little candy ass and in the real world you read or hear curse words. "fuckin" deal with it. If you're such a little panzy ass that you can't take it then I suggest you stay off the internet because trust me there's far worse out there than me when it comes to offensive anything. Get a clue ya moron.

PS, I note you still didn't have any tounge lashings for silvrst. So Lame zana. sheesh.

Edited by Sixcav