Ford Death Watch

"And what does that tell you about Billy Ford? My take: Bad Billy’s inability to walk away from the family firm he’s been running into the ground makes him part of the problem, not the solution. The fact that Baby Face Mark Fields– original architect of The Way Fordward and twenty-minute heir apparent– is still wandering the corridors of power is equally troubling."

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/?p=2333

Edited by Bluecon

The article hinges on an inaccurate statement:

"The latest round of white collar cuts was announced prior to Alan Mulally’s arrival."

This is not true. Rumors were 'confirmed' by anonymous Ford insiders all through August, but the announcement of white-collar reductions was officially made by Mark Fields at the Way Forward conference.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24261

While I too once believed that Fields was being groomed for the CEO position, and was surprised by the appointment of Mulally instead, I have come to the conclusion that I simply guessed incorrectly and that Fields was never a candiadte for the job for several reasons.

First, it always seemed a bit odd to me that Fields could rise so meteorically in the ranks and become CEO of a firm like Ford given his level of experience...impressive as it may seem to some here. The man just didn't have CEO credentials, at least not for a company like Ford.

However, knowledge of this did not deter me from believing Fields to be the next likely CEO candidate with my reasoning being that Ford could be going the unorthodox route with his potential appointment. The idea here being that the Fords, and the Board, might believe that fresh blood not long-mired in the stagnant corporate culture so prevelant in this day and age might have new and fresh ideas that could change the status quo and revive company.

Put simply I was wrong. And unlike the great minds behind the "death watch" I am not surprised to see Fields wandering the halls at Ford. Why? Because it is logical at this point to assume that Fields is very likely filling the position he has been expected to since..well, his appointment to that position...........President of Ford North America.

In fact, what Ford has actually wrought by moving Fields to the above mentioned position, and appointing Mulally as CEO, is far more of a masterstroke in my opinion than anything I, or anybody else that I have seen or heard, conceived when Fields was still rumoured to be a "sure thing" for the position. Ford has filled two positions, and rather quickly at that, with men who are perfectly suited to the role.

Fields has proven that he understands the importance of branding and brand identification, product strategy, and marketing. He is also extremely ambitious and has shown an exceptional ability to lead and provide direction...direction that yields results. If the above isn't a list of what Ford North America needs...well, I would love to see a better list if somebody has one.

Some do say his ego is large, and from reports they would be correct. But ridiculous rumours that this guy is likely crushed that he didn't get the CEO position are just that, ridiculous. President of Ford NA is plenty to scratch any egos itch and Fields isn't so dumb that he doesn't know what he has got. In fact, for those who feel that Fields ego could be a problem.....Mulally may be running the Corporation but Fields effectively gets to reinvent the Ford brand barring mainstays like the F-150 and Mustang. If that doesn't stroke an ego I have no idea what would.

Mulally on the other hand is the level headed, and direct business leader. In fact, these two do have two characteristics in common. Both give the appearance of having proven themselves as leaders and both know how to execute. From there it is like two wholly different horses. Mulally seems to lack the extreme ego of Fields and has proven that he has an ability to bring large groups together cohesively as a team. He also has proven that he understands how to run a business with global interests without falling into the globalism quagmire that Nasser wallowed in. In this respect Mulally is the Eisenhower of the Ford world and Fields is the Patton...both very likely to be effective in their roles and both proven leaders, but for different reasons.

We have bold ideas on one hand and wisdom on the other...both exactly where they need to be. How anybody could believe that this was not planned at this point is beyond me.

Mulally on the other hand is the level headed, and direct business leader. In fact, these two do have two characteristics in common. Both give the appearance of having proven themselves as leaders and both know how to execute. From there it is like two wholly different horses. Mulally seems to lack the extreme ego of Fields and has proven that he has an ability to bring large groups together cohesively as a team. He also has proven that he understands how to run a business with global interests without falling into the globalism quagmire that Nasser wallowed in. In this respect Mulally is the Eisenhower of the Ford world and Fields is the Patton...both very likely to be effective in their roles and both proven leaders, but for different reasons.

I think you totally nailed it right there

The whole Ford and GM death watch they have going on over there really ultimately is stupidity at its finest. They have showed time and time again through articles (and especially through reponses to reader mail) they are ignorant and completely biased, they have no problem admitted. They really need to go take journalism 101. The site is a joke, you could ofatleast chose a site with credibility, TTAB has absolutely zero and you can go ahead and ask anyone in the field and they be more than happy to tell you TTAB knows absolutely shit what they write about.

--------------------------------------------------------

To get back on the suject about Fields being CEO

I do think if he stays with thecompany he wil become CEO after Mullaly.

Fields is a car guy and definately knows how to develop products the customer wants, and that would be a big benefactor in turning around the company. But there is a lot more to running a company than just focusing on product and that is where Mullaly comes in, he can teach and Fields how to take care of other situations inside Ford that Fields may not have known how to control.

You have to realize Fields is very young and Mullaly is approaching his mid 60's, give mullaly 5-7 years at very most until he retires and Fields would have gained a great deal of knowledge and become CEO, that is of course if he stays.

Edited by DCK

They really need to go take journalism 101. The site is a joke, you could ofatleast chose a site with credibility, TTAB has absolutely zero and you can go ahead and ask anyone in the field and they be more than happy to tell you TTAB knows absolutely shit what they write about.

Yes - from the article:

Someone’s at FoMoCo’s got to sort out who does what first.
.... Grammar is Job One. :rolleyes:

The article hinges on an inaccurate statement:

"The latest round of white collar cuts was announced prior to Alan Mulally’s arrival."

This is not true. Rumors were 'confirmed' by anonymous Ford insiders all through August, but the announcement of white-collar reductions was officially made by Mark Fields at the Way Forward conference.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=24261

so the new CEO decided in his 2nd week to accelerate the "way forward plan" yeah right?

Head in sand.

so the new CEO decided in his 2nd week to accelerate the "way forward plan" yeah right?

Head in sand.

Bite me. When did I ever characterize you?

This is what the article said:

"The latest round of white collar cuts was announced prior to Alan Mulally’s arrival. That’s just plain dumb; even if Mulally didn’t swing the axe, he should have at least looked as if he was swinging the axe."

WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED.

Those white collar cuts were announced officially AT A MEETING CHAIRED BY ALAN MULALLY.

So, I repeat.

Bite me.

Edited by RichardJensen

You ostriches sure been right about everything so far!

In the rather small matter of when and where Ford officially announced plans to cut 14,000 white collar workers, I was indeed right.

Seeing that the TTAC post uses an inaccurate recollection of what happened to underpin an argument that Bill Ford has not ceded any power to Mulally, the article itself is discredited.

Fact checking. It's such a pain.