Dividing by zero? Ford planning an EcoSport Active

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Just looking at Ecosports and Escapes in my area...the difference in price for a 60 month payment is "only" $30-40 per month for lower end models, but the Escape has better rates then the EcoSport, which is kinda interesting. 

What’s the incentives on EcoSport vs. Escape? I can't imagine they’re making a ton of money on EcoSport. I get the impression the only reason it's built in India is because it wasn't even remotely economical to tool up a plant in Mexico and Cuactitlan was probably already earmarked for Mach-E anyway. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

Not 100% how that would work-the Maverick is going to be a LWB C platform and didn't the recent spy shots show a multilink rear suspension on it too?

Otherwise wouldn't be just a low rent Bronco Sport? Maybe Ford is figuring they rather use the EcoSport because its just cheap for them and if someone wants something better, they'll just move up to an entry level Escape?

Just looking at Ecosports and Escapes in my area...the difference in price for a 60 month payment is "only" $30-40 per month for lower end models, but the Escape has better rates then the EcoSport, which is kinda interesting. 

It's not that hard to make one car with two different wheelbase ?

I'm just saying that if Maverick is pitched as an entry level vehicle to slot below Escape in the old Focus price range, then it makes sense to make the utility version of it the cheap model and keep Bronco Sport as a premium offering, because of Bronco name.

But in theory, they could also just make a cheaper Bronco Sport after a year or two with FWD. But that detracts from their premium Bronco strategy.

Like I said, I have no idea what Ford is thinking. But I think they should be serious about competing in the low $20k CUV space. It is a high volume segment, not a niche that you can ignore. That's my opinion anyway. 

• Like 2

Just on that,

the entry price of a Ranger Supercab 4x2. XL is around $23k, so a base 2WD Maverick for $20k is eminently doable...

Made in Mexico, perhaps on the bones of the superseded Transit Connect should guarantee profitability.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

What’s the incentives on EcoSport vs. Escape? I can't imagine they’re making a ton of money on EcoSport. I get the impression the only reason it's built in India is because it wasn't even remotely economical to tool up a plant in Mexico and Cuactitlan was probably already earmarked for Mach-E anyway. 

I grabbed the cheapest ones I saw and used 60 month financing. The Ecosport has more money on the hood, but the Escape has a far better financing rate...well shit they aren't taking incentives off on either one...WTF

Escape.thumb.PNG.be8ca33e63129f14bad81f4d33450549.PNGEcosport.thumb.PNG.9ee95d7a6dca88d44ca74dde6685621b.PNG

Edited by silvrsvt

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

This is why I lease. $387 a month for an EcoSport is crazy. I'm not even paying that much a month for my Flex 

How much did you put down on your lease? This is  just using the default of 10% down and a shitty APR of 4.9%, which is pretty damn high-if you have good credit, you should be able to get 2-3%

In my area Ecosport SE’s have 5k in incentives and escape SE’s have $5500 ($4500 + 1000 trade in assistance). That’s the highest amount I’ve seen on an escape but I’ve seen stories over at Ford authority where the Ecosport had up to $7500 in incentives.

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

How much did you put down on your lease? This is  just using the default of 10% down and a shitty APR of 4.9%, which is pretty damn high-if you have good credit, you should be able to get 2-3%

$1500. $1000 in trade and $500 cash. Normally I wouldn't put anything down on a lease but we're planning on buying it once the lease expires anyway. 

58 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

$1500. $1000 in trade and $500 cash. Normally I wouldn't put anything down on a lease but we're planning on buying it once the lease expires anyway. 

Then youll be paying a lot longer than 60 months to own it.  Don’t focus on the monthly payment focus on the total cost.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Then youll be paying a lot longer than 60 months to own it.  Don’t focus on the monthly payment focus on the total cost.

Yeah, I couldn't look at it that way at the time knowing I would be laid off for a little while during the Bronco launch even a year ago. We knew we would pay more long term but we had a very tight monthly budget to fit into knowing I would spend some time on unemployment. The COVID shutdown didn't hurt me financially at all thanks to the CARES Act money. 

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yeah, I couldn't look at it that way at the time knowing I would be laid off for a little while during the Bronco launch even a year ago. We knew we would pay more long term but we had a very tight monthly budget to fit into knowing I would spend some time on unemployment. The COVID shutdown didn't hurt me financially at all thanks to the CARES Act money. 

I didn't mean to imply that leasing then purchasing would be more expensive - it's not except for the added interest from a longer finance period.   It's a good strategy if you need an initial lower payment.    I was just saying that don't compare your lease payment with a purchase payment because they're apples and oranges - just compare the total cost over the life of the vehicle, decide what you want to spend and then figure out the best way to finance that.

e.g. $300/month lease for 36 months would cost $36,000 over 10 years but you get a new vehicle every 3 years.   Outright purchase of a $22K vehicle would cost about $24K with interest (worst case) even though the payment for the first 5 years would be higher.

I taught myself a new trick to use when comparing vehicle costs.  I calculate the total cost difference and imagine that much cash sitting in the passenger seat of the less expensive option.

So let's say you're looking at a new vehicle vs. a 3 year old vehicle and the older one costs $20K less.  Would you take the new one or the 3 yr old one with $20K cash?  Gives you a slightly different perspective and gets you away from looking at just payments.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I didn't mean to imply that leasing then purchasing would be more expensive - it's not except for the added interest from a longer finance period.   It's a good strategy if you need an initial lower payment.    I was just saying that don't compare your lease payment with a purchase payment because they're apples and oranges - just compare the total cost over the life of the vehicle, decide what you want to spend and then figure out the best way to finance that.

I wasn't trying to imply that either, I needed the initial lower payment, plus we know what the projected value at the end of the lease term is so we can save some money for the down payment on the loan. 

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

In my area Ecosport SE’s have 5k in incentives and escape SE’s have $5500 ($4500 + 1000 trade in assistance). That’s the highest amount I’ve seen on an escape but I’ve seen stories over at Ford authority where the Ecosport had up to $7500 in incentives.

I've seen that on the top end EcoSports...they list for about $22-23, which is far more then even entry level Fiestas or Foci went for.