Headlights

You really get what you pay for with headlights. I see so many "great deals" that are full of moisture or stop working within a very short period of time. If you live in a dry climate you might get away with it, but here on the wet coast they'll be fogging up in no time.

Morimotto is hands down the best aftermarket light out there other than someone that will build you a set. They are expensive because they are a quality product. I purchased a pair when I bought my truck because for some stupid reason, Ford believes in offering halogen bulbs even on a lariat trim. 

Are you guys looking for replacements purely for the better looks, or do the factory lights provide poor illumination?  Asking because I ordered a new truck with halogen lights.  Also, does anybody know if you can replace factory halogen lights with factory LED lights plug and play, or is it not that easy

Edited by Kory04
Added a question

I'd be really happy if we could go back to the sealed beam headlights that were used by everyone when I started driving 50+ years ago.  No foggy plastic lenses to recondition or replace, adequate night time vision without blinding oncoming drivers, when they were dirty, you could simply scrub them clean.  If they worked, and were adjusted/aimed properly, you were good to go.  Yep, I'm an old geezer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kory04 said:

Are you guys looking for replacements purely for the better looks, or do the factory lights provide poor illumination?  Asking because I ordered a new truck with halogen lights.  Also, does anybody know if you can replace factory halogen lights with factory LED lights plug and play, or is it not that easy

Careful... search any of the forums about this and you will see that halogen lights aren't worth anything and that they are unsafe!!

I don't doubt that the LED's are brighter and illuminate better than halogen, but I don't think that makes the stock halogen lights unsafe as many claim. Last year I rented a 2020 F250 XLT with halogen lights and used it to tow our camper nearly 4000 miles in 9 days... so there was plenty of night driving. I remember driving through the night down the 2 lane roads cutting through north OK (among other places)... no lights anywhere because there was nothing out there! It was plenty dark, and the halogen lights were just fine, no complaints. And if it weren't for the auto brights that come on these trucks now, I wouldn't have used the brights... so in my opinion, there is nothing wrong with the stock halogen lights, but no, they aren't as "good" as LED lights.

As for me, when I ordered my 2022, I went with XLT trim, which the LED lights aren't even an option on. In order for me to get the stock LED lights on my truck I would have to go with Lariat trim (+$6K) and then the Lariat Ultimate package (+$3500) and then finally the LED package (+$1200), so I did not feel like the LED lights were worth the extra $10,700 upcharge for my situation... Saying that, the Morimoto lights mentioned earlier in the thread seem like a pretty good aftermarket option at a fraction of the price ($2200), and they do come with all the wiring harnesses and instructions needed for installation. 

Check out this video for installation and a demonstration... they look pretty great! These won't be my first aftermarket purchase, but they are on the list... :)

Edit to add: I do not have plans to replace the bulbs with LED bulbs... it seems that this isn't the best route to go... at least for others driving on the road!

Edited by chadstickpoindexter
  • Like 2

Why not just get the oem led headlights installed after the 22 XLT arrives? I am in the same situation, 22 XLT 6.7 Tremor F350 on order. My dealer said they would do the install for me, $3700, this includes the oem led headlights and led tail lamps. 

If you are trying to decide on a trim level and what the LED's will cost you from Ford, I've done a lot of research on this and a base Lariat with the value package is only $3K more than a loaded up XLT. It gives you a few more upgrades, leather, and the resell value on the Lariat is approximately $10K higher down the road. I struggled with this, because I don't need or really want leather for my work truck, but for re-sell down the road it was a no brainer for me. As stated above, you will need the Ultimate package to get the LED's. I personally didn't really see the value in the ultimate package over the value package, but I did add the tailgate step so the upgrade to the ultimate wouldn't be the full pop. Personally, I would upgrade to the ultimate package and add LED's before spending the $2,200 on aftermarket lights, have to install them myself, and deal with any warranty issues, but that is just me wanting to keep things simple now days.

• Like 1

Personally, I still find $3700 too much just for the LED lights, and to be fair, even $2200 is pushing it, but I would without a doubt go with the Morimotos over the stock LEDs at these prices. I’ve read lots of good things about their aftermarket LED lights, and I think they look better too… Saying all of this, it won’t be anytime soon that I would get them, and while they are definitely on my list, that don’t mean I will for sure get them. As I mentioned, the stock halogens work great to me. 

As far as trim levels, I have always been firm on the XLT trim,  no wondering for me! There is nothing on a Lariat I would want to pay extra for. Don’t like leather seats, would rather them be manual adjust and without butt heaters/coolers. I didn’t even opt for either of the XLT packages, so you can see how I’m a long way from either a Lariat, or those stock LED lights, price wise ($10700, not $3k)! Yeah, all those things are nice, but even my trucks configuration is $67k, and all that other stuff just isn’t worth it to me. And I’m not knocking anyone who gets those things… but I think the XLT is a nice looking truck. And I added things that made it more functional for towing and general use, such as the HCTT and snowplow/camper package, engine block heater, upfitter switches and a 332A alternator. My “luxury” features are things like the 360 cameras, tailgate step, remote start, reverse sensors, rear sliding window, front console and carpet delete! Lol. Yeah it’s basic, but it’s going to be great for us!

Also, I am buying my truck to keep rather than to turn around and sale a few years later, so resell isn’t one of the reasons I’m buying. And as far as install, it’s pretty simple with the Morimotos, plug and play really. Sure, it’s not as easy as taking delivery with it already on, but this is also $8500 less expensive… for that amount I’d be willing to spend and hour or so installing them myself… and if anything happened I still have my stock lights available!

Edited by chadstickpoindexter
  • Like 1