How soon after build can you link FordPass?

Kyoshea

I'm thinking my truck finally may have been built yesterday (ordered 3/19/21!!) and the tracking site is showing a delivery ETA date all of a sudden, but I have not get the email stating the truck was built.  How long after build can you try to link the FordPass to your ford account?  I have several other trucks linked to mine.  

My truck was supposedly built two days ago as the tracker now is showing it as shipped but Ford Pass says it can't find my vehicle with my VIN yet.  I'm not planning on trying again until I pick up the truck, but I gave it a shot this morning since I've seen other people be able to do it.

You have to have the truck , you send something to the truck and a prompt comes up on the trucks screen and after pressing the prompt it activates . Then I pressed the start on my phone and it was a 3-5 second delay and it statred up . Could not get everything done yesetrday so noon today  I will be picking up Zilla .

12 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I'm trying to understand why people are so anxious to try and activate FordPass for vehicles they haven't taken delivery of and may not see for some time. Perhaps out of desperation to confirm the vehicle exists and out of frustration for the lack of updates from Ford and/or their Dealers. 

When I first got on here I read the worse part of waiting was "Shipped " and I thought that cant be that bad at least its built , but it is the worse part . And I only took 8 weeks from accepted to delivered , I was thinking for sure my truck was damaged in the tornados that were in Kentucky at the timeI was built .

27 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

I'm trying to understand why people are so anxious to try and activate FordPass for vehicles they haven't taken delivery of and may not see for some time. Perhaps out of desperation to confirm the vehicle exists and out of frustration for the lack of updates from Ford and/or their Dealers. 

Yes. Lack of updates from the Ford, the dealer, and sweet anticipation. There is a thread on here somewhere or maybe on the tremor page where someone posted that they were able to track their truck being shipped. I don't know how thats possible without activation though. My sales lady said she's had people able to do it with the Mach E but not any other cars.

19 minutes ago, jhaber said:

Yes. Lack of updates from the Ford, the dealer, and sweet anticipation. There is a thread on here somewhere or maybe on the tremor page where someone posted that they were able to track their truck being shipped. I don't know how thats possible without activation though. My sales lady said she's had people able to do it with the Mach E but not any other cars.

Customers use the rail car information that's available in the Vehicle Visibility reports that Dealers can access 24/7. Unfortunately, your sales lady doesn't know what she's talking about but then again, the majority of sales representatives don't have the experience or knowledge of the details involved and the resources available for retail factory orders. 

4 hours ago, jhaber said:

You can track it with the railcar number. The railroads have public 800 numbers for tracking or if you are “lucky” enough to know someone that works for the railroad, you could ask then to track the number with their internal system which updates every time the car passes a railcar scanner. Each car has a transponder similar to an EZPass which helps track their location.

1 hour ago, asull85 said:

You can track it with the railcar number. The railroads have public 800 numbers for tracking or if you are “lucky” enough to know someone that works for the railroad, you could ask then to track the number with their internal system which updates every time the car passes a railcar scanner. Each car has a transponder similar to an EZPass which helps track their location.

No one's said you can't track a vehicle by rail car number, but by FordPass? 

2 hours ago, road turtle said:

IF, you can get the VIN activated before it's delivered, you could do exactly that.  I tried, and the activation attempt was rejected.

FordPass may find the vehicle but you can NOT activate it until you are inside the vehicle and push a button to “accept”.  You can only Add the vehicle to your FordPass app with the VIN.  

Edited by cjrazus1

Hi gang. If it is similar to the LincolnWay/LincolnConnect system (which it almost certainly would be), you need physical access to the vehicle to connect it to FordPass/the phone app and have location/locking/unlocking/starting etc. ability via the phone app.

Good luck.

On 12/29/2021 at 7:11 AM, ice-capades said:

For me it wasn't trying to activate as I know that's impossible. It was a way of confirming the vehicle actually existed after Ford said it had a build date. 

It's both fun and frustrating to follow the process in these crazy times.?

• Like 1

I was able to add mine to fors pass a few days after it was built but couldn't activate it till i picked it up i must have tried over a dozen times.  I have heard of people getting lucky and someone that was in the truck at the railyard activtaed one of the requests on the screen and then they were able to trakc to via ford pass vehicle location tracker after that but this is a slim chbace of thar happening but i tried anyway lol.