How is everyone financing these pricey trucks?

lisadsayre

a) I didn't order a luxury truck - I ordered an XLT. All the extra bells & whistles == extra stuff to break. Only thing I'll have to add is a power seat for front passenger.

b) decent down payment

c) Like everyone else says here, credit unions are your friend rate-wise

• Like 1

Whats the lowest rate you guys found.  I found 1.49% for up to 72 months with Rates - Gain Federal Credit Union (gainfcu.com)  Also found 1.99%   for 66 months   Home | 1st Nor Cal® Credit Union | San Francisco Bay Area (1stnorcalcu.org)    Wasnt able to find anything lower.  .99 would be good for up to 72 months if anyone knows of any bank/credit union let me know

It's a product of the times you were raised and perspective on the world, I'd guess.

When I was a kid, back in the 80's, my dad taught me to save. You needed to save the pennies, the dollars would take care of themselves. That's what my Dad Barnes taught us -- I was too young to really remember him but it was how things were in that era. This was post 70's inflation and interest rates were on the rise. Not a little, a lot. I remember hearing about double digit mortgage rates. In the mid-late 90's my Dad was talking about how mortgage rates were 7%, the lowest he'd seen. I don't remember if that was the lowest he'd seen in his life or in decades... but an era, regardless. 

So to me, I see 2% interest and I see free money. Because an economy can not be sustained with interest rates that low. Who would ever make a risky investment for 2%? Not me, I'd buy dang toilet paper before I'd loan my money at 2%. Politics and all that aside -- I see the 2% as a better investment in the asset of a truck that I'll use, hopefully for the rest of my life, than in something else right now. So if you think a SD truck is unobtanium now -- just wait until interest rates get up around 7%. 

You'll have this truck -- and a younger generation who had no chance at the free-money-pot will look at you, your car, your house -- and they'll ponder... how can they afford this. And the truth is -- if you had to buy it again, you probably couldn't.

The home I live in cost a little over twice what the truck I ordered cost. I didn't buy it all too long ago, but I bought it before 2020. It's zestimate is 450k, last I checked. I don't own a single piece of furniture that was purchased new. I work from home and the desk I use was something someone else was throwing away. Not because it was trash but because that pesky solid wood (black cherry) desk was just annoyingly heavy so they didn't want to bother moving it -- they were going to buy a new one at their new house and didn't want to have to move it out. So, for getting it out of their house -- I got a free desk. Nicest desk I've ever owned, by far. Our dining room furniture, 8 chairs and a table that we are complimented on all the time -- $400 at the local flea market / consignment shop. Also solid wood. I'll bet the people who bought that new paid close to $10k for it. Thing is also absurdly heavy. My bedroom suite, matching set -- two nightstands, chest, dresser, king headboard/footboard and box springs -- paid $500 for it. I could go on. Whole house, all furniture together... maybe paid $3-4k for it all. Probably less. I mean -- couch and loveseat, awesome leather and down filled, paid $200. 

That's a lot to say that we can afford the truck because we bought into other things in an era before this one. An era when you could find used furniture for far, far less than new furniture. 90-95% less. So plentiful that people absurdly would throw away beautiful pieces that I will enjoy for my whole life and likely pass on to my children... as if they were waste. our home was so cheap we could nearly pay for the whole thing in a handful of years if we really wanted. 

So, we afford this truck we are buying because of a complex set of circumstances that we have benefited from greatly. 

That's just my story, I have no doubt others have different stories. I've known people who buy things like this and then are a slave to their debt. I have a cousin who bought a million dollar farm, equipment, and a brand new dually --- and he rode that train until it crashed. From the outside, he was living the life. From the inside, he was suffocating under the weight of it all.

Regardless, OP, wish you good fortune -- I hope your truck buying and owning experience is as great as it can be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, gom said:

It's a product of the times you were raised and perspective on the world, I'd guess.

When I was a kid, back in the 80's, my dad taught me to save. You needed to save the pennies, the dollars would take care of themselves. That's what my Dad Barnes taught us -- I was too young to really remember him but it was how things were in that era. This was post 70's inflation and interest rates were on the rise. Not a little, a lot. I remember hearing about double digit mortgage rates. In the mid-late 90's my Dad was talking about how mortgage rates were 7%, the lowest he'd seen. I don't remember if that was the lowest he'd seen in his life or in decades... but an era, regardless. 

So to me, I see 2% interest and I see free money. Because an economy can not be sustained with interest rates that low. Who would ever make a risky investment for 2%? Not me, I'd buy dang toilet paper before I'd loan my money at 2%. Politics and all that aside -- I see the 2% as a better investment in the asset of a truck that I'll use, hopefully for the rest of my life, than in something else right now. So if you think a SD truck is unobtanium now -- just wait until interest rates get up around 7%. 

You'll have this truck -- and a younger generation who had no chance at the free-money-pot will look at you, your car, your house -- and they'll ponder... how can they afford this. And the truth is -- if you had to buy it again, you probably couldn't.

The home I live in cost a little over twice what the truck I ordered cost. I didn't buy it all too long ago, but I bought it before 2020. It's zestimate is 450k, last I checked. I don't own a single piece of furniture that was purchased new. I work from home and the desk I use was something someone else was throwing away. Not because it was trash but because that pesky solid wood (black cherry) desk was just annoyingly heavy so they didn't want to bother moving it -- they were going to buy a new one at their new house and didn't want to have to move it out. So, for getting it out of their house -- I got a free desk. Nicest desk I've ever owned, by far. Our dining room furniture, 8 chairs and a table that we are complimented on all the time -- $400 at the local flea market / consignment shop. Also solid wood. I'll bet the people who bought that new paid close to $10k for it. Thing is also absurdly heavy. My bedroom suite, matching set -- two nightstands, chest, dresser, king headboard/footboard and box springs -- paid $500 for it. I could go on. Whole house, all furniture together... maybe paid $3-4k for it all. Probably less. I mean -- couch and loveseat, awesome leather and down filled, paid $200. 

That's a lot to say that we can afford the truck because we bought into other things in an era before this one. An era when you could find used furniture for far, far less than new furniture. 90-95% less. So plentiful that people absurdly would throw away beautiful pieces that I will enjoy for my whole life and likely pass on to my children... as if they were waste. our home was so cheap we could nearly pay for the whole thing in a handful of years if we really wanted. 

So, we afford this truck we are buying because of a complex set of circumstances that we have benefited from greatly. 

That's just my story, I have no doubt others have different stories. I've known people who buy things like this and then are a slave to their debt. I have a cousin who bought a million dollar farm, equipment, and a brand new dually --- and he rode that train until it crashed. From the outside, he was living the life. From the inside, he was suffocating under the weight of it all.

Regardless, OP, wish you good fortune -- I hope your truck buying and owning experience is as great as it can be. 

This post is a lot like an amtrak derailment .  Cash is king. I'd rather put in $$$ in savings IRA etc than pay cash for a truck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gom said:

Yes, a lot of it comes down to your perspective on money. Much like you cash to me is unlimited opportunity, why would I give up that opportunity for 2%?

Ultimately it comes down to can you actually afford it. If push came to shove I could easily move funds around and pay my truck off with a few days notice. To me that is enough justification that I can afford it. I also put a large enough down payment on it(proceeds from selling my previous truck and a car I had) that I will never be upside down on the loan, so if plan A for some reason fails I could always sell the truck and pay it out.

• Like 1

Two income family both in Tech jobs. Empty Nesters. Only bills are the house payment. Like previous posters mentioned, I financed to take advantage of the low rates and keep my money invested in other areas. I can cash out and pay the truck off if I need to but, it’s a depreciating asset so why do that? Everyone’s situation is different. 

Edited by NWnative
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, mattdm said:

Yes, a lot of it comes down to your perspective on money. Much like you cash to me is unlimited opportunity, why would I give up that opportunity for 2%?

Ultimately it comes down to can you actually afford it. If push came to shove I could easily move funds around and pay my truck off with a few days notice. To me that is enough justification that I can afford it. I also put a large enough down payment on it(proceeds from selling my previous truck and a car I had) that I will never be upside down on the loan, so if plan A for some reason fails I could always sell the truck and pay it out.

?... I would point out that if you need to borrow money on the truck for those"unlimited opportunities" you don't have the security you think you have.

The only guarantees are no debt and food in the pantry. Anything else you are gambling with your livelihood.

Edited by Robin Hood

56 minutes ago, Robin Hood said:

?... I would point out that if you need to borrow money on the truck for those"unlimited opportunities" you don't have the security you think you have.

The only guarantees are no debt and food in the pantry. Anything else you are gambling with your livelihood.

There is a difference between choosing to borrow and needing to borrow.  

Investments are always a gamble to some degree. without risk there cannot be reward. 

Nothing wrong with the simple pay cash and have zero debt approach either, different strokes for different folks. I have a buddy who just paid off his Mortgage in 2 years because he hates debt. Great for him, to me it doesn't make long term financial sense but I'm still happy for him.

At the end of the day it all comes down to what your goals are in life.

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gom said:

I can really relate to this! Our dining room set was $50 on marketplace, lol, real wood, better than most you would buy new. Most of our furniture is also used, I prefer it that way. We have over 1/3 down, which I feel is pretty good. I am just looking for the lowest interest rate and hoping for 2%. If we can find 2%, we can definitely go for a shorter term. Goal is to have it paid off by retirement along with the house. This is another reason I really do not want.to give up any of the options chosen. We plan on having this one a very long time.

12 hours ago, gom said:

TLDR

Go Bengals!!!!!!!!

This has been an interesting thread!  My new truck was a well equipped XLT model with gas engine, so although it was expensive, it was no where near the cost of some other trucks out there.  Previous to my new truck, I had a 2006 reg cab f250 xl for my work truck with, 191,000 miles, and a 2004 dodge ram diesel for my nice truck, 172,000 miles.  Both had snow plows on them, but I only used the dodge as a back-up plow truck, as I didn't want to drive it in the winter salt.  I also didn't like insuring/plating both at the same time, so over the years I'd always have one truck stored for several months at a time, I played a lot of musical license plates and also had lots of problems of sticky brake calipers.  (I played musical license plates, because In the great state of Michigan it seems to be legal for the gov't to steal.....for example, lets say the plate on my plow truck expires in May, and I do not renew it because the truck will be stored until December, When going for a plate in December, they try to make you renew the plate from May, at a full year cost (plus late fees).   The only way to avoid this was to transfer a current plate to the vehicle with the lapsed plate.)  Constantly repairing brakes, and multiple trips to the secretary of state/dmv every year got old for me, so I finally sold both my old trucks with the plows, and a 2012 Fusion that was my get around vehicle.

Bought the new truck and a new plow, and it is now my only vehicle, and I'm enjoying the simplicity compared to my old arrangement.  With a bit over 20K from the other vehicle sales, I was able to pay cash for my truck.  The 2% auto rates are very attractive, and for me it would have been a great business decision to take advantage of because I have a large commercial mortgage in the 5% neighborhood that I could have also placed the truck money on. In the end though, I just did not want a car payment, and I think the monthly $1200-1500 truck payments would cause me undue stress, even though it would be no problem making them, and I'd maybe enjoy the truck a bit less because of the payments.  I'm getting ready to chat with the banks about re-doing the commercial loan before rates creep higher, and If they don't come to 4%, I may still finance the truck, and also put in extra cash to pay the commercial  loan down

• 3 weeks later...

For those looking to use financing to help purchase their trucks, I use 2 credit unions that still offer sub 2% auto loans. Great Lakes Credit Union in Illinois (as low as 1.74% up to 60 months) and Sandia Area Federal Credit Union in Albquerque (1.79% up to 36 months).  Of course one of the things about credit unions is you have to meet their eligibility criteria to join them which can be pretty narrrowly focused.  However both of these seem to have some broad criteria. GLCU is open to federal employees and relatives as well active military and relatives in addition to more locally focused groups.  Sandia Area has a very interesting criteria in addition to more locally focused groups that I'll quote, "Persons who subscribe to the permaculture ethics, consisting of the following principles: care of the earth, care of people, and reinvesting surplus for the benefit of earth and people."  Not sure how to meet that to their satisfaction but seems pretty darn broad to me.  Anyway, just wanted to share for those folks wanting/needing to use financing as part of their purchase package.

New 2022 F350 crew cab long bed, 4x2, 7.3, loaded Lariat equals 67,885.00 Trade in my 2017 F250 crew cab short bed 4x4 6.7, loaded Lariat 61,000.00…I have the coupon for 2500.00 off and 500.00 veteran discount. Balance of 3,885 plus taxes, I’ll write a check.

Edited by 35FordTudor

37 minutes ago, 35FordTudor said:

New 2022 F350 crew cab long bed, 4x2, 7.3, loaded Lariat equals 67,885.00 Trade in my 2017 F250 crew cab short bed 4x4 6.7, loaded Lariat 61,000.00…I have the coupon for 2500.00 off and 500.00 veteran discount. Balance of 3,885 plus taxes, I’ll write a check.

You should finance that over 72 months and tell them to send you paper statements.

• Haha 2

I was originally going to finance through BoA as they have all my accounts, business and personal. However thank you to those who mentioned PenFed. I created an account with them and was able to get 1.99 for 60 months (they have 72 months available at the same rate.) BoA raised their lowest rate to 2.79 since I first got approved back in November with them. Extremely easy with PenFed, 5 minutes yesterday morning and a few clicks for application (after having an active account) and 80K check in the mail, I couldn't believe how easy it was. Total finance charge of $4,183.86. Thats almost impossible to pass up, its such cheap money its practically free. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:38 PM, JC2014 said:

I sold my 2014 F-150 to Carvana for 29500.00. I paid 32000.00 in 2014. It only had 42000 on it when i sold it and it was in perfect condition. With that being said I am just going to write a check for the remainder. I talked to my accountant about financing and putting the money into a investment account  with the possibility of making more than I would have to pay in interest on a 36 month term. He told me to pay it off because there is no way the market can be slightly predictable for the next 3 years due to our current situation if you know what I mean. So I'm not going to take the chance of loosing more than the interest on a investment.

There is some short term volatility, and a short term inflation runup, but it will correct itself. Always does. Can't be afraid of current market conditions. If you are, you won't benefit from the longer term run up. If you're looking at a 36 month time frame, your investment will do better than the lower interest rate of a loan. No doubt. I'll be happy to pay 3% when the "cash" amount is gaining 7%+ net of inflation in investments. I do like no payments/being debt free, but as long as I can withdraw the funds and zero the loan at will, I'd rather my money work for me.

Edited by lcseds

• 3 weeks later...