Window tint! Quality? Heat reduction? options?

danielj

4 hours ago, AtlasBlue350 said:

So a question for you tinting experts. Washington State allows a VLT down to 24% on the front side windows, so we can darken them quite a bit. Lets say I darken it to 30% and drive up to the state of Alaska that only allows a VLT down to 70%. Could I get a ticket in that state, or are there exemptions for where you bought the vehicle?

I found some states are not allowed to enforce their tint laws on out-of-state vehicles whereas other states can and will ticket you.  It depends on the local state law, the officer's discretion, and perhaps how you choose to interact with them.  It's almost in the same ballpark as getting pulled over for not having a front license plate when your state does not issue them.  It should be a rare problem.

However, I would not want to live in CT, tint to the CT's 35% front window level, and then travel/work frequently in NJ (none allowed), NY (70%), or PA (70%).  It sounds like a potential hassle.  I don't live in any of these states so I don't know if they might offer an exemption to non-residents.  These just happen to be 3 states near each other with the most restrictive tint laws in the entire country.

Based on the map, there are only a handful of super aggressive states that are 40-50 percentage points more restrictive than 75% of the country.  When traveling elsewhere, I doubt the free states are going to argue about 25% vs 35% unless there's something else going on with the traffic stop.

https://windowtintlaws.us/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bob99 said:

I found some states are not allowed to enforce their tint laws on out-of-state vehicles whereas other states can and will ticket you.  It depends on the local state law, the officer's discretion, and perhaps how you choose to interact with them.  It's almost in the same ballpark as getting pulled over for not having a front license plate when your state does not issue them.  It should be a rare problem.

However, I would not want to live in CT, tint to the CT's 35% front window level, and then travel/work frequently in NJ (none allowed), NY (70%), or PA (70%).  It sounds like a potential hassle.  I don't live in any of these states so I don't know if they might offer an exemption to non-residents.  These just happen to be 3 states near each other with the most restrictive tint laws in the entire country.

Based on the map, there are only a handful of super aggressive states that are 40-50 percentage points more restrictive than 75% of the country.  When traveling elsewhere, I doubt the free states are going to argue about 25% vs 35% unless there's something else going on with the traffic stop.

https://windowtintlaws.us/

I have not been pulled over in a long time but I've always had tinted windows and I figured the best way for a police officer NOT TO mess with me is this...

If it's at night all the windows in the car go down, the interior lights go on before my car comes to a complete stop.

If it's in the daytime I may not put the interior lights on but all the windows come down so he/she can see in.

One hand on the wheel the other holding my license on my door frame...

I figured the more at ease the officer is when you comes to my window the smoother the transaction goes from there on out.

If I was a cop and I walked up to somebody that had dark tinted windows all rolled up and couldn't see in, my hand will be on my pistol as I'm walking up.....

May not work with every traffic stop but it sure can't hurt.

Edited by IUEC135ELEVATOR
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

I have not been pulled over in a long time but I've always had tinted windows and I figured the best way for a police officer NOT TO mess with me is this...

If it's at night all the windows in the car go down, the interior lights go on before my car comes to a complete stop.

If it's in the daytime I may not put the interior lights on but all the windows come down so he/she can see in.

One hand on the wheel the other holding my license on my door frame...

I figured the more at ease the officer is when you comes to my window the smoother the transaction goes from there on out.

If I was a cop and I walked up to somebody that had dark tinted windows all rolled up and couldn't see in, my hand will be on my pistol as I'm walking up.....

May not work with every traffic stop but it sure can't hurt.

Not wrong. A cop is only doing their job. And the more respectful you are to them the more likely they are to be back to you. At the end of the day. If you know what you did is illegal... he only did his job writing a ticket. 

On the other hand. If they act like they are above the law.... still be respectful while holding your ground and know what tickets they can write you because you property got pulled over for a reason. Lol ? 

• Haha 1

Here in NC we have annual state “safety” inspections and if your vehicle does not have legal tint on the front drivers and pas side windows it won’t pass inspection and you can’t get your registration renewed. 35% tint is legal here. Anything lower is a no go. The NC highway patrol will write tickets for illegal tint. 

On 2/4/2022 at 2:44 AM, Patriot1 said:

Here in NC we have annual state “safety” inspections and if your vehicle does not have legal tint on the front drivers and pas side windows it won’t pass inspection and you can’t get your registration renewed. 35% tint is legal here. Anything lower is a no go. The NC highway patrol will write tickets for illegal tint. 

I'm in NC also....

You can try my trick.... roll the front windows down pull the fuse. There is no law saying it has to have front door windows.

"Welllllll, ? windows got broken out and I just never replaced them"???

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...

So update. I've went into EXPEL Boise. And they showed me the difference in the heat reduction with the ceramic ultra. (98% heat reduction). It is a very big difference. I decided on the ceramic ultra on all windows. 20% on the front windows. (35% provides no privacy in my opinion) they will do 70% the rest of the way around just for the heat reduction. 

Now to decide on tint percentage for the sun roof... do I want 70% or 35% ? How much sunlight do I want to let in? 

I just checked Texas law on tint and apparently the limit is 25% on the front windows and no limit in back as long as you have side mirrors.  Also, you can get a medical exemption to ignore the 25% on the front. 

I wonder though  would you be at risk if you drove to another state?

Edited by 4thTimer

2 hours ago, 4thTimer said:

I just checked Texas law on tint and apparently the limit is 25% on the front windows and no limit in back as long as you have side mirrors.  Also, you can get a medical exemption to ignore the 25% on the front. 

I wonder though  would you be at risk if you drove to another state?

MI law specifically excludes out of state vehicles from our ridiculous tinting law.

• Like 1

I will say this, walking up to a car at 3 in the morning with limo tint is a very uneasy feeling, but rolling down the windows could not be better advice! After 22 years, I finally gave up walking up to the car and just simply asked the driver to step out. I have NEVER written a citation for tint, and in my last 3 years I am very confident I will close out my career without ever writing one! I’ve never truly understood tint laws and why they vary so much between states. If you want to black-out your windows I say go for it, but clearly legislators disagree! I’m going with 15% all the way around, and the clear ceramic on the windshield… and until I just read @danielj post I never even thought about the sunroof.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FirstFord22 said:

I will say this, walking up to a car at 3 in the morning with limo tint is a very uneasy feeling, but rolling down the windows could not be better advice! After 22 years, I finally gave up walking up to the car and just simply asked the driver to step out. I have NEVER written a citation for tint, and in my last 3 years I am very confident I will close out my career without ever writing one! I’ve never truly understood tint laws and why they vary so much between states. If you want to black-out your windows I say go for it, but clearly legislators disagree! I’m going with 15% all the way around, and the clear ceramic on the windshield… and until I just read @danielj post I never even thought about the sunroof.

At least in MI, state police have convinced our legislature that banning tint on front windows is in their best interest.  Cars registered out of state are exempt and can have any amount of tint.  Apparently, criminals don't come from out of state

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 5:06 AM, FirstFord22 said:

The sunroof let's ALOT of heat in. But I like the light coming in. So I'm wanting the heat blocking ability of the ceramic. 

4 hours ago, danielj said:

The sunroof let's ALOT of heat in. But I like the light coming in. So I'm wanting the heat blocking ability of the ceramic. 

Again, I never even thought about tinting the sunroof until you mentioned it. I’m 100% doing it with the ceramic. That’s one of the reasons I love this forum… the things I’ve learned since joining!

• Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 8:09 PM, CBears said:

So oddly I hadn’t thought about driving at night with window tint. Does it cause problems?

I have the same ( 20% ) on my front doors and also LOVE driving the truck daily... What I am not thrilled about in when I am towing my fifth wheel trailer through a campground at night... I find myself rolling down my 2 front windows regardless of the weather to assure I don't cut a bend short... BUT, for me it was worth it as most of my check ins are daylight hours...

23 hours ago, CT737 said:

Has anyone gotten their windshield ceramic tinted?  Not saying darkened but just a light ceramic tint. I hear it keeps a lot of heat and UV out. Does anyone have reviews?  I’m curious about issues with sensors. 

I already made my appointment for May 2ed. In hopes my truck arrives by then... I am getting the windshield done with ceramic. Not once did I think to ask. 

I just got off the phone with xpel boise. They said they have installed ceramic tint on several tesla windshields. And they have never had a report of any sensors or functions not working. 

• Like 1