Ford Patents Automated Manual

Like evermore technically interesting but not really better razors, this is a solution looking for a problem. It is a novel man-bites-dog invention in this age of AI tech removing human interaction from the act of operating a vehicle, though. What might be more useful, is a Dynaflow or Turboglide-type transmission to help folks get used to EVs. Manual transmissions went downhill with the invention of synchromesh.

Real persons match revs.

I don't really see the point of it, if I'm understanding what they're saying.

Sounds like it's both a "manual without a clutch" and "automatic that requires shifting".  So basically it's for people to pretend to have a manual without operating the clutch?  At which point, why bother?

19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't really see the point of it, if I'm understanding what they're saying.

Sounds like it's both a "manual without a clutch" and "automatic that requires shifting".  So basically it's for people to pretend to have a manual without operating the clutch?  At which point, why bother?

Its a hand operated electronic clutch rather than leg operated.  For people who can’t use their left leg but want a manual I guess it would work.  Otherwise I do t see the point.

Of course just because it’s patented doesn’t mean it gets implemented.

I think the point is to alleviate the monotony of using the clutch for stop and go driving in addition to blue cruise with a manual.

Provided it could be driven as a regular manual, computer assisted clutch engagement, or full automation I can see some value in it.

14 hours ago, slemke said:

I think the point is to alleviate the monotony of using the clutch for stop and go driving in addition to blue cruise with a manual.

Provided it could be driven as a regular manual, computer assisted clutch engagement, or full automation I can see some value in it.

If it could “toggle” between pure auto and “manual” mode - that’d be something.   Pure auto when you just want to let it work, and this clutch less manual mode when you want to have more fun than paddle shifters…

On 2/8/2022 at 12:15 PM, rmc523 said:

If it could “toggle” between pure auto and “manual” mode - that’d be something.   Pure auto when you just want to let it work, and this clutch less manual mode when you want to have more fun than paddle shifters…

But that’s pretty similar to today’s autos that let you shift

People who want a manual transmission are fine with the "calf raise" every time a new gear is needed. I feel like this is just an attempt from Ford to get more people interested in driving a manual...? ??

What happens if you grip the shifter too hard and the indentation you made on the knob doesn't release? I wonder how they'll combat continuous wear associated with physically grabbing something with your hand.

4 hours ago, KingRanchRuby said:

People who want a manual transmission are fine with the "calf raise" every time a new gear is needed. I feel like this is just an attempt from Ford to get more people interested in driving a manual...? ??

What happens if you grip the shifter too hard and the indentation you made on the knob doesn't release? I wonder how they'll combat continuous wear associated with physically grabbing something with your hand.

It is certainly to maintain or grow sales.  Probably for those who wanted autonomous driving and still have a manual for fun time. Make it easier for people not dedicated to a manual and they could pick up additional sales.

I doubt the wear would be any more severe than on a leather wrapped shift knob.  Just some pressure sensors under the covering.