Interesting Ford.com Build Change

CBears

5 hours ago, nickqw14 said:

Hello! I recently put in an order for an F350 Lariat on 02/03 and also happened to notice a lot of the options I had selected no longer show up on Ford's website. I am a software engineer so I got curious and started snooping around their source code. I don't believe this is a system glitch, I was able to find a large JSON object that contained all of the missing options (along with options still showing). I also happened to find a list of part numbers that contained ONLY missing parts/options. This tells me these options are deliberately being hidden from users. Maybe it's not intentional but it seems odd that this list combines individual parts that can be purchased separately along with options like 5th wheel prep, Adaptive Steering and Moonroof. I could be totally wrong here just throwing in my 2 cents. 

If you want to know what's available, all you have to do is read the 2022 Super Duty Order Guide which is available for download in the Dealer Order Guides section. The order guide is the definitive reference for the available vehicle specifications. 

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

If you want to know what's available, all you have to do is read the 2022 Super Duty Order Guide which is available for download in the Dealer Order Guides section. The order guide is the definitive reference for the available vehicle specifications. 

Ford can disable the selection of certain options in WBDO though, as seen in this video at 46:45: https://youtu.be/buEsRY6xflA?t=2781

2 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Yes I have the order guide just got curious on why these options are hidden when this is typically going to be a retail customer’s first entry point. I know the site for ordering at the dealer is hitting a different endpoint, but at least for myself, I built out a truck online countless times for months before I actually pulled the trigger. Seems odd to hide these options to the only customers that they are allowing to order trucks with them included. 

Hello! I recently put in an order for an F350 Lariat on 02/03 and also happened to notice a lot of the options I had selected no longer show up on Ford's website. I am a software engineer so I got curious and started snooping around their source code. I don't believe this is a system glitch, I was able to find a large JSON object that contained all of the missing options (along with options still showing). I also happened to find a list of part numbers that contained ONLY missing parts/options. This tells me these options are deliberately being hidden from users. Maybe it's not intentional but it seems odd that this list combines individual parts that can be purchased separately along with options like 5th wheel prep, Adaptive Steering and Moonroof. I could be totally wrong here just throwing in my 2 cents.

I hadn't thought about looking at the code in the page.  Great thinking and very cool!  Thank You!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, nickqw14 said:

Yes I have the order guide just got curious on why these options are hidden when this is typically going to be a retail customer’s first entry point. I know the site for ordering at the dealer is hitting a different endpoint, but at least for myself, I built out a truck online countless times for months before I actually pulled the trigger. Seems odd to hide these options to the only customers that they are allowing to order trucks with them included. 

It’s not odd at all considering the glitches we’ve seen in the build and price over the years.  It was probably a misunderstanding of the decision to limit those to retail orders only.  It will probably be fixed soon.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sjmcken81 said:

“I built it one piece at a time and it didn’t cost me a dime, you’ll know it’s me when I come through your town”.

Awesome reference.  ?

Nice, I knew someone would figure it out, it's a 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55...automobile...JOHNNY CASH - ONE PIECE AT A TIME - CADILLAC VIDEO - YouTube

787Toolman

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denao_53 said:

Good to know they’re  building so King Ranches. Order Lariat in August. Dropped Bed liner and AS in December and changed to KR. Going on 7 months now and still no VIN

Ouch. I just ordered a Lariat with all the low commodity options and I’m starting to lose faith that I’ll ever see the truck. The dealer told me 7-8 months, I’m fine with waiting but worried it won’t get done before 23MY production starts and who knows what’ll happen at that point. 

7 hours ago, nickqw14 said:

Ouch. I just ordered a Lariat with all the low commodity options and I’m starting to lose faith that I’ll ever see the truck. The dealer told me 7-8 months, I’m fine with waiting but worried it won’t get done before 23MY production starts and who knows what’ll happen at that point. 

I'm worried too considering I've seen similar builds ordered well after mine and they have already been built.  Stating to look at other dealers. I don't mind driving, if I could find one somewhere else!

Ford needs to get it together. 

Apparently my VVR shows a pushed build week but I never got an email notification.

Between the build and price randomly hiding options, the order status page not loading, the email click tracking link to the order status page giving a "requested URL cannot be found" error, and people not getting order confirmation or status update emails... Holy cow. Is Ford hiring IT people, and how's the pay?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2022 at 8:49 AM, CBears said:

I was just on Ford.com building out another F250 and noticed that they have removed almost all of the add ons that used to be on there.  Bed liner, covers, console safe, floor mats, even rear window options.  There were $3,000 worth of add ons I did when I ordered my truck that are no longer available on the builder.  I just found this interesting.

I noticed it too. I was on today it's all back.

• 4 weeks later...

I just ordered a F450 last week.  I too found all the options mentioned were not available when I used the Ford build page.  I talked to my dealer about that and he was able to add the options I wanted that were not available on the website.

Edited by Trublu1068
add info
  • Like 1