2023 Super Duty

jdaallen

30 minutes ago, 4thTimer said:

If the bathroom has only blow dryers I just use my pants. They don't work so I guess they are more economical that way. 

I sometimes wave my hands under a faucet only to finally realize it's not an automatic one but has valves with knobs.

• Haha 2

I heard some speculation I think on a TFL video that the could have a hybrid version SD with the power on board option. I think the power on board would be really nice, but I haven’t had a truck with it. I wonder what the feedback is from people who have F-150’s with the feature. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, cc121 said:

I heard some speculation I think on a TFL video that the could have a hybrid version SD with the power on board option. I think the power on board would be really nice, but I haven’t had a truck with it. I wonder what the feedback is from people who have F-150’s with the feature. 

That would be nice. It's supposed to be pretty quiet too. When Texas lost power a year ago some people with the 7.5kw model powered their house from the truck. Back when fuel was reasonable. 

1 hour ago, 4thTimer said:

That would be nice. It's supposed to be pretty quiet too. When Texas lost power a year ago some people with the 7.5kw model powered their house from the truck. Back when fuel was reasonable. 

To fully power a typical house with 200A main, it takes 50KW (240V*200A=48KW), thats like a six-cylinder diesel generator running constantly.  7.5KW can run a few appliances like fridge, microwave, several lights but probably no water heater, no range or no AC or heater to speak of but cool none the less.

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

To fully power a typical house with 200A main, it takes 50KW (240V*200A=48KW), thats like a six-cylinder diesel generator running constantly.  7.5KW can run a few appliances like fridge, microwave, several lights but probably no water heater, no range or no AC or heater to speak of but cool none the less.

Most people don't run a full 200A non stop, that's peak load.  On average, I use about 50-60kW hours per day.  That's less than 3kW running non-stop for 24 hours (on average).  You just have to be smart with your usage.

I don't know if the onboard gen for the F150 will run 220V, but at 7.5kW, that'll definitely power quite a bit of a house.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Most people don't run a full 200A non stop, that's peak load.  On average, I use about 50-60kW hours per day.  That's less than 3kW running non-stop for 24 hours (on average).  You just have to be smart with your usage.

I don't know if the onboard gen for the F150 will run 220V, but at 7.5kW, that'll definitely power quite a bit of a house.

True, so using 120V and 7.5KW, that will allow 7500/120=62.5 amps, that is a good bit of power but I just want to point out when people say they can run their house on their F150, people need to realize that's misleading.  If you were to run a 240V water heater which is usually on a 30A circuit, you'd almost max out the capability of an F150 while the heaters are energized, that's a long way from running a house.  You could run a boat load of lights and small appliances off 62.5A at 120V, but with a bunch of undersized extension cords, you'd waste some in resistance or heat losses.  I live in a hurricane prone area, I have a Honda powered 8kw generator so I have some experience dealing with this first hand but I'm always eager to learn more.  I think the F150 with generator is cool, I wish Super Duty had it too, this is why I ordered my F350 with PTO provisions, might make my own generator system one day.

22 minutes ago, 787Toolman said:

True, so using 120V and 7.5KW, that will allow 7500/120=62.5 amps, that is a good bit of power but I just want to point out when people say they can run their house on their F150, people need to realize that's misleading.  If you were to run a 240V water heater which is usually on a 30A circuit, you'd almost max out the capability of an F150 while the heaters are energized, that's a long way from running a house.  You could run a boat load of lights and small appliances off 62.5A at 120V, but with a bunch of undersized extension cords, you'd waste some in resistance or heat losses.  I live in a hurricane prone area, I have a Honda powered 8kw generator so I have some experience dealing with this first hand but I'm always eager to learn more.  I think the F150 with generator is cool, I wish Super Duty had it too, this is why I ordered my F350 with PTO provisions, might make my own generator system one day.

Yeah, you can't just plug it in and expect to use your electricity like normal, but you can run fridges, freezers, TV, maybe water heater, etc., just not all at the same time.  A little fridge here to keep your beer cold, freezer here to keep you meat frozen, water heater for a shower, etc.  I'm pretty sure I could get by in my all-electric house with a 7.5kW generator for quite a while, as long as I had fuel.  Even longer if my solar panels can contribute! :)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cc121 said:

I’m interested in the power on board to run my truck camper ac and charge it’s battery system. It would be amazing not to have to carry a generator along. 

I saw on an RV forum they used it to run their fridge while they were traveling. 

I ran everything I needed off of a 5500 watt generator.  Had a 10 circuit generator panel installed.  I had heat, some of the kitchen, hot water (gas with electric blower), master bath living room, kitchen, three freezers, washer and gas dryer.  Most I ever saw at one time was about 3500 watts.

55 minutes ago, road turtle said:

I ran everything I needed off of a 5500 watt generator.  Had a 10 circuit generator panel installed.  I had heat, some of the kitchen, hot water (gas with electric blower), master bath living room, kitchen, three freezers, washer and gas dryer.  Most I ever saw at one time was about 3500 watts.

Having natural gas furnace, water heater and appliances helps a lot.  We’ve considered putting in a permanent natural gas generator but we hardly ever lose power for more than a couple of hours.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Having natural gas furnace, water heater and appliances helps a lot.  We’ve considered putting in a permanent natural gas generator but we hardly ever lose power for more than a couple of hours.

We put one in in Jan 2020, the lights haven't so much as flickered in the 2 years since then,,,,,,

HRG

• Like 1

10 hours ago, akirby said:

It's kind of funny, we lost power yet another time and I sent my wife to Home Depot to buy a generator.  DO NOT BUY A HOMELITE.  Guess what she came home with...  Yep, homelite.  However, her reasoning was sound and it was the one homelite that was actually pretty good.  Ended up giving it to my brother in law after we sold the house, because my wife won not one, but two monster generators.  Sold the auto start one and kept the dual fuel 10k generator.  We're now living in a campground in a park model when we're not traveling with our 5th wheel.

• Like 1