Jump to content

The Ford Order Tracking System Is No Longer Available.  THANKS Cyberdman For Making Available All Of These Past Years.  More Here.

Sign in to follow this  
Joe771476

Just rented a 2022 Explorer

Recommended Posts

Well the guy next to us was supposed to get it, but gave it to us since he was a party of one, so he took the truck that Thrifty was trying to give us, a party of 6! And we were supposed to put luggage in pickup bed?! And there was nothing Thrifty about the price!  But anyway, nice vehicle but just too many bells and whistles for this older guy!  Nobody has the time to read the owner's manual when you're away, but I had to in order to figure out how to open gas door.  You just push on it!  Now does having the key FOB in your possession allow this, or can I be a mile away and anybody can open it?  Seems like a vandal could access the tank if so.  I also locked the vehicle, then tested door and it opened! Is that because I had possession of "key" also? I'm thinking yes.  I'll stick with buying the oldest used vehicles I can find for now.  And it saves on property taxes and insurance!

Edited by Joe771476

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure on the Explorer, but I assume it's the same as our Escape.  There is no lock on the fuel door, it's just a normal latch.  Push it in and it releases.  Push it in again to close it.  Nothing magic about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The door doesn't lock because it doesn't need to.

 

Quote

What is the Ford Easy Fuel® Capless Fuel Filler?


The Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler feature eliminates the need for a fuel filler cap and allows you to simply insert the fuel nozzle. When fueling is completed, removing the nozzle causes the spring-loaded fuel filler to close and latch. The capless fuel filler system helps avoid splashback, fuel theft and prevents fuel vapors from escaping into the atmosphere.
In the event you need to add fuel from a portable fuel container, you will need to use the white plastic funnel located in the cargo bin behind the last row of seats, attached to the cover on the tire changing tools. 

 

https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/more-vehicle-topics/fuel-and-fuel-economy/what-is-the-easy-fuel-capless-fuel-filler/

 

They do make a locking cap for anyone concerned enough to put up with the hassle (the one below is not listed to fit on a 2020+ Explorer but I'm not sure if there's a revised part or the compatibility list is out of date).

 

image.thumb.png.3d130df4b5116c92f7c875c3315ea5e2.png

 

https://accessories.ford.com/products/locking-fuel-plug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The capless filler port is pretty convenient, and it prevents vandalism by using a double flapper valve (second one doesn't open unless the first one is completely open), which is why you have to use the special filler nozzle that is included if you need to fill with a gas can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Nobody has the time to read the owner's manual when you're away, but I had to in order to figure out how to open gas door.  You just push on it!  Now does having the key FOB in your possession allow this, or can I be a mile away and anybody can open it?  Seems like a vandal could access the tank if so.  I also locked the vehicle, then tested door and it opened! Is that because I had possession of "key" also? I'm thinking yes. 

 

You are correct Joe771476, non-hybrid 2022 Explorer doesn't include a lockable fuel filler door as standard equipment, or as a factory option. This is a weird omission, since Hybrid/PHEV Explorer however does have a locking fuel filler door standard. Fuel and Refueling - Refueling - Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) (fordservicecontent.com)

 

imagen2.dll?w=600&id=E293006_EUR&t=JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

Well the guy next to us was supposed to get it, but gave it to us since he was a party of one, so he took the truck that Thrifty was trying to give us, a party of 6! And we were supposed to put luggage in pickup bed?! And there was nothing Thrifty about the price!  But anyway, nice vehicle but just too many bells and whistles for this older guy!  Nobody has the time to read the owner's manual when you're away, but I had to in order to figure out how to open gas door.  You just push on it!  Now does having the key FOB in your possession allow this, or can I be a mile away and anybody can open it?  Seems like a vandal could access the tank if so.  I also locked the vehicle, then tested door and it opened! Is that because I had possession of "key" also? I'm thinking yes.  I'll stick with buying the oldest used vehicles I can find for now.  And it saves on property taxes and insurance!


image.gif.ef6f4646339ae54a2a05bd7c954f343e.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

 

You are correct Joe771476, non-hybrid 2022 Explorer doesn't include a lockable fuel filler door as standard equipment, or as a factory option. This is a weird omission, since Hybrid/PHEV Explorer however does have a locking fuel filler door standard. Fuel and Refueling - Refueling - Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) (fordservicecontent.com)

 

imagen2.dll?w=600&id=E293006_EUR&t=JPG

 

Less of a locking door and more of a pressurized tank with electronic release due to the nature of a fuel-sipping hybrid.  There's also a manual release for it, although a malicious individual would need to know where to look, or just try to pry the door open..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, j2sys said:

Less of a locking door and more of a pressurized tank with electronic release due to the nature of a fuel-sipping hybrid.  There's also a manual release for it, although a malicious individual would need to know where to look, or just try to pry the door open..

 

Thanks for that info j2sys. The instructions for using the manual release indicate that the ignition must be switched on first, so I figured it functions as a locking fuel door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The features you mention have existed for over a decade.  The locks with the fob in your pocket is really nice when you're juggling a couple small kids like I did for the first couple years we had our explorer.  As others have mentioned, the fuel cap is one less thing to worry about, and has a flap to prevent siphoning.  My explorer and F150 both have a funnel you have to use with a fuel can in the event you're dumb enough to run out of fuel. 

And if you want to lock, unlock, or start your vehicle from miles away, there's an app for that.  

 

As for your rental cars, as someone who has the joy of renting nearly weekly, welcome to the reality of the modern world.  When everyone stopped traveling, the rental companies sold off their fleets.  Like everyone else, they can't replace them right now with new vehicles, and you get to pay a lot more for a lot more miles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×