GM follows Ford in ditching 9 speed transmission

silvrsvt

1 hour ago, DeluxeStang said:

So, I've heard conflicting reports on this, but isn't GM's 9 speed Ford's 8 speed altered to have one less gear? I have not heard good things about that transmission in the slightest, Ford needs to ditch it ASAP.

Only the 8F35 which was used with the 2.0eb.  The 8f57 that was used with the 2.7eb is the old 6f55 with 2 gears added,

I have it in my Nautilus and not a single issue in 18 months.

Edited by akirby

On 12/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, akirby said:

Only the 8F35 which was used with the 2.0eb.  The 8f57 that was used with the 2.7eb is the old 6f55 with 2 gears added,

I have it in my Nautilus and not a single issue in 18 months.

We’ve got it in the Corsair.  Only have about 2,200 miles on it, but it’s been good so far. 

On 12/19/2023 at 5:07 PM, akirby said:

Only the 8F35 which was used with the 2.0eb.  The 8f57 that was used with the 2.7eb is the old 6f55 with 2 gears added

The 8F57 shares lots of parts with the 8F35.

https://www.transmissiondigest.com/ford-motor-company-and-the-hat-trick/#:~:text=The planetary design for 8F24,change in the larger units.

The 8F35 is used in the Escape, Bronco Sport and Maverick-so if there was an actual problem with it, I'd think we'd be hearing about it. I'm guessing this sort of like the 10R auto-people don't understand how it works/shifts and think something is wrong with it. The 10R in my Bronco has been pretty much flawless..I had good luck with the 6F in my old SHO also. 

57 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The 8F57 shares lots of parts with the 8F35.

https://www.transmissiondigest.com/ford-motor-company-and-the-hat-trick/#:~:text=The planetary design for 8F24,change in the larger units.

The 8F35 is used in the Escape, Bronco Sport and Maverick-so if there was an actual problem with it, I'd think we'd be hearing about it. I'm guessing this sort of like the 10R auto-people don't understand how it works/shifts and think something is wrong with it. The 10R in my Bronco has been pretty much flawless..I had good luck with the 6F in my old SHO also. 

8F35 debuted in the 2019 Edge and it had a lot of problems with harsh shifting.  Most of it was fixed with a software update but some had ongoing issues and a few units were replaced.  The 8F57 in the ST also had early issues before they dropped a gear.

15 minutes ago, akirby said:

8F35 debuted in the 2019 Edge and it had a lot of problems with harsh shifting.  Most of it was fixed with a software update but some had ongoing issues and a few units were replaced.  The 8F57 in the ST also had early issues before they dropped a gear.

It might just be me but every Ford automatic transmission I’ve had has been susceptible to harsh shifting. I’ve always chalked it up to that just being the nature of the beast. 

3 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It might just be me but every Ford automatic transmission I’ve had has been susceptible to harsh shifting. I’ve always chalked it up to that just being the nature of the beast. 

I have both the 8F35 and 10r80 and never had a problem.  In fact the only shifting issue I can remember is my 2000 Lincoln LS 5r55n.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

I have both the 8F35 and 10r80 and never had a problem.  In fact the only shifting issue I can remember is my 2000 Lincoln LS 5r55n.

I also have both the 8F35 and 10R80.  I did have to have the 10R80 in my Mustang reflashed at around 42,000 miles due to harsh shifting.  It’s been fine since then.  I have a little over 79,000 miles on it now.

• Like 2