Erratic Message Center

I'm posting this here rather than in "150" as I'm thinking this could be a universal problem,  My 23 150 message center since truck was new, is erratic.  Without doing a reset, I'll start truck and two trip options have reset.  Plus when you start driving, mpg readout is not instantaneous.  Hit reset, and it then functions as it should  with immediate mpg readings.

Before I take it to dealer, any opinions???

Also  probably unrelated but shut vehicle off, restart and radio  station  (AM) has changed- not always but again- why?

12 minutes ago, Joe771476 said:

This is why I don't buy new vehicles anymore. Too much electronic baloney.  I buy 10 to 15 yr old vehicles I can fix myself most of the time and drive them another 200K miles for 10 more years. Mostly Fords.

Youre not buying a 10-15 yr old vehicle without all those electronics any more.  You need a 77 F100 with a carburetor.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, akirby said:

Youre not buying a 10-15 yr old vehicle without all those electronics any more.  You need a 77 F100 with a carburetor.

Going to have to go back a few more years to get to points, those have a scary electronic ignition system! ?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Over the past 30-40 years, there's been a dramatic decline in the maintenance that can be performed by vehicle owners, let alone anything that's electronics related which is a lot. Dealership service technicians have to continuously take courses in order to keep up to date with all the technology and to maintain or upgrade their certified status with Ford. There's also been a dramatic decline in the number of independent technicians that can service modern vehicles due to the constantly evolving technology. For those independent technicians or "mechanics" there are fewer jobs available as the majority of the gas stations that provided vehicle service have been converted to convenience stores, eliminating their service bays.    

4 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Over the past 30-40 years, there's been a dramatic decline in the maintenance that can be performed by vehicle owners, let alone anything that's electronics related which is a lot. Dealership service technicians have to continuously take courses in order to keep up to date with all the technology and to maintain or upgrade their certified status with Ford. There's also been a dramatic decline in the number of independent technicians that can service modern vehicles due to the constantly evolving technology. For those independent technicians or "mechanics" there are fewer jobs available as the majority of the gas stations that provided vehicle service have been converted to convenience stores, eliminating their service bays.    

I disagree, it's just a matter of learning a new way to do it and it involves hooking a computer up. Things are a lot easier to figure out and maintain now if you take the time to learn what the computer is telling you - it's way easier and less complex than using vacuum gauges/timing lights/reading plugs/changing jets/and essentially guessing if you understand what it's telling you. Youtube university will tell you how to do almost anything if you're repairing a stock vehicle.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

I disagree, it's just a matter of learning a new way to do it and it involves hooking a computer up. Things are a lot easier to figure out and maintain now if you take the time to learn what the computer is telling you - it's way easier and less complex than using vacuum gauges/timing lights/reading plugs/changing jets/and essentially guessing if you understand what it's telling you. Youtube university will tell you how to do almost anything if you're repairing a stock vehicle.

Or (maybe was these days) putting a tune on a car and wringing out an apprecable difference in performance over say a CAI or some other bolt on. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2024 at 10:42 AM, akirby said:

Not sure but I’d try pulling the negative battery cable for a few minutes.

Well AKI figured new vehicle..I'm not touching it.  So finally took it to dealer.

This off invoice:

A Concern

Customer states trip will reset itself, screen will go black and will lose radio presets often but not every day Please check and advise.

Correction

Updated IPC,PCM, ACM and  GWM. and test drove. Screen is working properly

Something tells me nothing will change.  Only positive is I had an Escape for a day no charge, a '21 I looked under hood to see if it was a Briggs and Stratton there  and find a 3 banger!  But on rural roads it was fine and was reading 28 mpg

On 3/14/2024 at 10:56 AM, Bob Rosadini said:

Well AKI figured new vehicle..I'm not touching it.  So finally took it to dealer.

This off invoice:

A Concern

Customer states trip will reset itself, screen will go black and will lose radio presets often but not every day Please check and advise.

Correction

Updated IPC,PCM, ACM and  GWM. and test drove. Screen is working properly

Something tells me nothing will change.  Only positive is I had an Escape for a day no charge, a '21 I looked under hood to see if it was a Briggs and Stratton there  and find a 3 banger!  But on rural roads it was fine and was reading 28 mpg

Well I'm giving it time.  So far it has not reset.  However, I HAD "Trip 1, Trip 2."  Now Trip 1 only🤔

I'll give  it another week before I  take it back.

23 hours ago, Bob Rosadini said:

Well I'm giving it time.  So far it has not reset.  However, I HAD "Trip 1, Trip 2."  Now Trip 1 only🤔

I'll give  it another week before I  take it back.

Time to eat my words.  It is there!

• Like 1