REPORT: Ford Maverick, Bronco EVs Pushed Back to Next Decade

ice-capades

REPORT: Ford Maverick, Bronco EVs Pushed Back to Next Decade

https://fordauthority.com/2024/02/ford-maverick-bronco-evs-pushed-back-to-next-decade-report/

FordAuthority.com_2024-02-26_Maverick & Bronco_EVs Pushed Back to Next Decade.jpg

Following Ford’s big electrification push – which involves the automaker announcing that it planned to invest billions in EVs and expand its offerings in that segment years ago, most have assumed that all-electric versions of vehicles like the Ford Bronco and Ford Maverick were inevitable. The only question was, when, exactly, would these new EVs arrive? In fact, a previous report noted that a Ford Bronco EV was on track to debut before the end of this decade, though the company’s global vice president of design, Anthony Lo, noted such a machine would be challenging to develop in an interview last year. Now, a new report from Autoweek suggests that both the Ford Bronco and Ford Maverick EVs have been pushed back to the next decade.

Both the Ford Maverick and Bronco EVs have reportedly been put on hold “until at least the early 2030s,” according to unnamed sources, which isn’t terribly surprising given the fact that CEO Jim Farley recently stated that the automaker “may delay some upcoming EVs” amid waning demand. Ford recently announced that it was pushing back $12 billion in planned EV investments, though it isn’t giving up on all-electric vehicles. Rather, the automaker is shifting its strategy and working on new, low-cost EVs as it works to drive prices down and overcome one of the biggest obstacles standing in the way of sales growth.

In the meantime, it remains possible that Ford could build and sell a Bronco plug-in hybrid model – one that could travel short distances on electric power alone, yet also utilizes a gas engine for longer trips. In fact, Ford is already benchmarking the Jeep Wrangler 4xe PHEV, and Ford Authority spotted a potential Bronco PHEV prototype out testing back in 2021. However, in spite of the regular Maverick Hybrid’s popularity, The Blue Oval isn’t reportedly working on a PHEV version of the compact pickup.

Meanwhile, a recent report indicates that the next-generation Ford Maverick could debut in 2027 for the 2028 model year, while a refresh is likely to precede it in 2024 for the 2025 model year – so long as The Blue Oval follows a six-year product cadence.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

1 hour ago, ehaase said:

Since Ford was planning to drop the Escape and produce the Maverick and Bronco Sport EV's in the Louisville plant, I just wonder what will happen to that plant now.

Would it be possible to move the production of more profitable bronco sport and maverick trims to Louisville until those smaller EVs are ready to be released? I'm not talking about the base models, I'm talking about the 40-50 grand variants. That would enable ford to churn out more mavericks and BS's and they wouldn't have to lay off Louisville workers, which would just cause more issues with the UAW. 

I'll say, I understand why Ford is delaying their EVs due to lower than anticipated demand. I get it, many of your iconic products like bronco and mustang aren't ready for full EV variants, so it makes sense to push those offerings back. But I feel like delaying these affordable EVs is a mistake. Ford and basically every other established OEM is behind Tesla and BYD, they've basically been spending the last 5 years trying to to catch up to Tesla. 

Now, they have a real opportunity to create something desirable, a highly affordable EV, and beat BYD and Tesla to the punch in selling it in the states. What do they decide to do? Delay them. Watch, they'll wait for a few years, BYD and Tesla will come out with their affordable products in the states, and there will be a quote from Farley on how they shouldn't have waited so long to jump into affordable EVs or something along those lines.

2 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

There is no Bronco Sport BEV in development, that was never going to LAP.

The small SUV BEV going to LAP is still on plan for now. Again not a Bronco Sport.

The Maverick and Bronco BEVs are what have been delayed until 2030+.

May we ask what this small BEV is if it's not a bronco sport? I'm guessing it's an escape, or something with a shape comparable to that. 

All I know is that the two vehicles for LAP are internally coded as a Ford branded off-road utility and pickup. 

Sorry if I mislead anyone here as it appears that Ford has parallel projects and it’s getting confusing when

some of my  source material is “deliberately vague” in order to hold back important details

I now know that CE1 is a small platform with a battery chassis (skateboard). It's the platform being developed

by the skunkworks for the past two years and completely unrelated to any other Ford platform. The program 

is being headed up by an ex Tesla engineer out in Irvine. BEVs to use  the Marshall plant LFP batteries.

I’m not sure what exactly the BEV Maverick and Bronco projects are that the OP article mentions

but Ford clearly had intentions of having multiple BEVs arriving in that 2026-2028 timeline.

Now it seems these are being spread out…. 

Edited by jpd80