Toyota Teases New 4-Runner

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Toyota fans are gushing over this design.  I don’t see it.

Yeah, seems like they threw styling elements in from a few different generations.  Maybe my opinions will change seeing it in person, but overall its "eh" to me.

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Yeah, seems like they threw styling elements in from a few different generations.  Maybe my opinions will change seeing it in person, but overall its "eh" to me.

I saw some other pictures that looked slightly better but still not a fan.

This is actually a disappointment for me.  The TRD version looks ok, but the blue one looks very meh.  I thought this would be a mini Land Cruiser, which was a solid effort, but this is a miss.  

With that said, it’s a Toyota, so it will sell whether it’s good or bad, especially since it’s a complete redesign. 

Edited by tbone

I'm not particularly fond of this design. Toyota is very hit or miss with their designs. This is a miss, it's just a bunch of styling elements mashed together. I don't even like the flared fenders, I saw them on the new Tacoma, it looked like it'd been stung by a swarm of bees. 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 10:31 PM, akirby said:

Toyota fans are gushing over this design.  I don’t see it.

I'm sure Toyota fans feel the same about Ford fans. Lol

Between the new 4Runner and the new Land Cruiser 250 Series (aka Prado in other markets), the new Land Cruiser is a better (cleaner) design than the overstyled new 4Runner.

2025-toyota-4runner-vs-toyota-land-cruis

-Motor1

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, AM222 said:

Between the new 4Runner and the new Land Cruiser 250 Series (aka Prado in other markets), the new Land Cruiser is a better (cleaner) design than the overstyled new 4Runner.

-Motor1

Toyota borrowed GM's T-square when designing the Land Cruiser.

29 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Toyota borrowed GM's T-square when designing the Land Cruiser.

Lol The old light duty 70 series Land Cruiser Prado was a boxy upright SUV.

480px-Toyota_LAND_CRUISER_4DOOR_PRADO_SX

The heavy duty version of the 70 series is still built today, it retains the same 40-year old boxy body.

480px-2023_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_70.jpg

Edited by AM222

21 hours ago, AM222 said:

-Motor1

I suppose they could criticize Ford designs. But Ford designers tend to have a good eye for proportions, line flow, and finer details. The worst thing someone could accuse modern Ford designs of being is boring. Next to Mazda, Ford has some of the best balance of clean, yet eye catching designs. 

1 hour ago, AM222 said:

Lol The old light duty 70 series Land Cruiser Prado was a boxy upright SUV.

480px-Toyota_LAND_CRUISER_4DOOR_PRADO_SX

The heavy duty version of the 70 series is still built today, it retains the same 40-year old boxy body.

480px-2023_Toyota_Land_Cruiser_70.jpg

I'm not saying boxy is bad (I've had a Flex and Bronco, after all), just that on that new Land Cruiser every single element on the front end is a box - they could do with adding some other elements - the base models have round headlights, for instance that create some visual interest other than 8,000 box shapes.

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I'm not saying boxy is bad (I've had a Flex and Bronco, after all), just that on that new Land Cruiser every single element on the front end is a box - they could do with adding some other elements - the base models have round headlights, for instance that create some visual interest other than 8,000 box shapes.

I have a feeling this is just Toyota hitting the reset button on the Land Cruiser 250 Series (Prado) after it evolved from the boxy first generation model to the rounded modern ones.

Edited by AM222