2025 Ford Mustang Mach-E Spied

The whole point to Ford setting up a skunkworks to develop small BEVs was to design and develop them

with the kind of efficiency seen at Tesla and at a faster time line than possible as a Ford project.

With a small team, it is possible that some existing projects and be reviewed either junked or vastly improved

by using a different approach….maybe this is the real reason behind many current BEV projects being pushed back.
Sometimes a brutal review of projects is good for business…

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The whole point to Ford setting up a skunkworks to develop small BEVs was to design and develop them

with the kind of efficiency seen at Tesla and at a faster time line than possible as a Ford project.

With a small team, it is possible that some existing projects and be reviewed either junked or vastly improved

by using a different approach….maybe this is the real reason behind many current BEV projects being pushed back.
Sometimes a brutal review of projects is good for business…

Well said. I'm just waiting to see what comes out of this skunkworks program and hoping it doesn't get bogged down with layers of management interfering.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Well said. I'm just waiting to see what comes out of this skunkworks program and hoping it doesn't get bogged down with layers of management interfering.

I'm excited, in terms of what this affordable EV platform will underpin, it sounds like almost nothing is off the table. Influential people associated with the program said it was basically being designed to be all things to all people, with a very wide range of top hats. 

He specifically mentioned trucks, SUVs and vans, and then got all cryptical and said amongst other things. I'll have to try and track down the quote. But that amongst other things comment makes me hopeful for some sort of sedan or coupe. Trucks, and SUVs need to be given development priority, higher sales volume and all that, but I'm sincerely hoping Ford's at least toying with the idea of doing some sort of car form factor. 

54 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

I'm excited, in terms of what this affordable EV platform will underpin, it sounds like almost nothing is off the table. Influential people associated with the program said it was basically being designed to be all things to all people, with a very wide range of top hats. 

He specifically mentioned trucks, SUVs and vans, and then got all cryptical and said amongst other things. I'll have to try and track down the quote. But that amongst other things comment makes me hopeful for some sort of sedan or coupe. Trucks, and SUVs need to be given development priority, higher sales volume and all that, but I'm sincerely hoping Ford's at least toying with the idea of doing some sort of car form factor. 

And what a refreshing change that would make to the way Ford traditionally does product envelopes,

it’s like every project was deliberately limited so it could fit under an anticipated funding level…

If the rumours are true, it could spell a massive paradigm shift at Ford but I won’t hold my breath..

If this architecture is as broad as I suspect, it’s no wonder why many projects have been delayed.

If I could plagiarise FDR,

”The only thing Ford has to fear is Ford itself.”

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

And what a refreshing change that would make to the way Ford traditionally does product envelopes,

it’s like every project was deliberately limited so it could fit under an anticipated funding level…

If the rumours are true, it could spell a massive paradigm shift at Ford but I won’t hold my breath..

If this architecture is as broad as I suspect, it’s no wonder why many projects have been delayed.

If I could plagiarise FDR,

”The only thing Ford has to fear is Ford itself.”

Fingers crossed they're able to deliver on this. I'm hoping to see a ton of variety from this platform. Ideally Ford doesn't just give us what we're expecting, some sort of round escape EV and a maverick, and actually offers some surprises that go beyond our expectations. 

Edited by DeluxeStang
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I could be wrong but I still think this is more about platform efficiency in batteries, aerodynamics, manufacturing - squeezing out as much cost as possible and applying this to all EVs to some degree.  I don’t see this team just developing a few new EVs in a vacuum.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Well, the Ford GT and Mustang GTD were skunkworks programs and both turned out pretty damn good.

You're correct, but question now is whether they can deliver value in an affordable vehicle, which are nearly very opposite of these two cost-no-object examples.  I hope they can, but wonder if previous success is applicable under very tight budget.

Anyway, Ford Authority suggest prototype may be seen this year.

https://fordauthority.com/2024/04/low-cost-ford-ev-prototype-will-hit-the-road-this-year/

On topic of new affordable BEV, Reuters last week reported Tesla had cancelled the $25k Model 2, which sent Tesla stock down considerably. Musk then quickly denied and accused Reuters of lying again. Just suggesting that when it comes to an affordable BEV, much is still up in the air, including what Chinese vehicles may make it to North America (north of Mexico anyway, since there already).

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

You're correct, but question now is whether they can deliver value in an affordable vehicle, which are nearly very opposite of these two cost-no-object examples.  I hope they can, but wonder if previous success is applicable under very tight budget.....

Not sure they have a tight budget.  With less than 100 employees on this team (according to Bloomberg), you would think their overall budget wouldn't be that big.  But I'd wager they have strict cost targets.  

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

But I'd wager they have strict cost targets.

That’s what I meant; there’s huge difference between designing limited production $300k supercars where profitability may not even be much of an issue, and designing budget-oriented $25~30k profitable BEVs for mass appeal.  I’ll be first to acknowledge talent is talent, so let’s hope for the best possible outcome.

• Like 1